[NTB] Search and Look up...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 1999
      Hi All,

      OK, thought I'd get you started. Nite!

      H=Search List
      ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
      ^!Set %p_Engine%=^?{(H=4)Choose a search engine=_^%p_Engine%|Alta Vista|InfoSeek2|Real Names}; %p_Criteria%=^?{Insert plus sign between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes=^%p_Criteria%}

      ^!Clip "^%p_Engine%"

      H=Alta Vista
      ^!Url http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&q=^%p_Criteria%&search=Search

      H=InfoSeek
      ^!Url http://www.infoseek.com/Titles?qt=^%p_Criteria%&col=WW&sv=IS&lk=noframes

      H=Real Names
      ^!Url
      http://www.realnames.com/Resolver.dll?provider=1&realName=^%p_Criteria%

      c ya,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

    • R.S.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
        Hi Jody,

        At 12:13 AM 01/03/99 -0600, you wrote:

        >Here is an example of how you can search a bit easier without
        >the wait for a page to come up before you type in.

        I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise, they worked as they are.

        Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab, not in your browser...

        Regards,

        RS

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
          Hi R.S.,

          >I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise,
          >they worked as they are.
          >
          >Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab,
          >not in your browser...

          <G> NoteTab just opens/reloads the default browser and I
          suppose Windows puts the Url in the location area. I did
          not check out but about a half dozen Search Engines, but
          they all see to use the same boolean equations, especially
          for "AND" which is the plus sign. (See the search help/tips
          in some of the engines for advanced searches.)

          It is simple to figure out what format a particular engine
          uses, but a bit time consuming if you want a lot of them.
          In NoteTab type in an open doc the Url to the main engine
          page and click to it:

          1. www.webcrawler.com
          2. Type in keywords: dog cat
          (lowercase is case insensitive on the ones I checked)
          3. Hit search and then copy the text in the location window.

          http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=dog+cat

          For just a single search engine like the first post I posted
          replace your keywords with the prompt and put in NoteTab's
          launch format.

          H=WebCrawler
          ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?[Search format: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes]

          or for a smaller wizard window:

          H=WebCrawler
          ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
          ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?{=)

          or build onto the wizard I send it the second post:

          H=Engine List
          ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
          ^!Set %p_Engine%=^?{=_^%p_Engine%|Alta Vista|InfoSeek2|Real Names|WebCrawler}; %p_Criteria%=^?{Insert plus sign between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes=^%p_Criteria%}; %Home%=^?{Start the search?=Goto home page only^=Yes|_Search Web^=No}

          ^!Clip "^%p_Engine%"

          H=WebCrawler
          ^!IfTrue ^%Home% Skip_2
          ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
          ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^%p_Criteria%
          ^!Goto End

          ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/

          Notice in that I added to just go to the start page. You replace
          the NoteTab prompt with "^%p_Criteria%" from the first example.
          The %p_Engine% label tells NoteTab which engine to use and goes to
          the associated "^!Clip".

          We ought to bring this over to the advanced list if we want to
          discuss it more.

          Happy NoteTabbin',
          Jody Adair
          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm