[NTB] Search and Look up...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 1999
      Hi All,

      Here is an example of how you can search a bit easier without
      the wait for a page to come up before you type in. I thought
      the dictionary one would come in handy. It has recursive and
      delimiter as well as others and very nicely hyper linked. :)
      One could easily expand on the search engine to pick with
      one(s) you want to search. (Watch for the hard breaks.)

      H=Computer Dictionary, Foldoc
      ^!SetWizardTitle Get definition for Computer term:
      ^!Url http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=^?{=}&action=Search

      H=Alta Vista
      ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
      ^!Url http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&q=^?{=}&search=Search

      Good night all. :)

      c ya,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 1999
        Hi All,

        OK, thought I'd get you started. Nite!

        H=Search List
        ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
        ^!Set %p_Engine%=^?{(H=4)Choose a search engine=_^%p_Engine%|Alta Vista|InfoSeek2|Real Names}; %p_Criteria%=^?{Insert plus sign between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes=^%p_Criteria%}

        ^!Clip "^%p_Engine%"

        H=Alta Vista
        ^!Url http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&kl=XX&q=^%p_Criteria%&search=Search

        H=InfoSeek
        ^!Url http://www.infoseek.com/Titles?qt=^%p_Criteria%&col=WW&sv=IS&lk=noframes

        H=Real Names
        ^!Url
        http://www.realnames.com/Resolver.dll?provider=1&realName=^%p_Criteria%

        c ya,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

      • R.S.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
          Hi Jody,

          At 12:13 AM 01/03/99 -0600, you wrote:

          >Here is an example of how you can search a bit easier without
          >the wait for a page to come up before you type in.

          I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise, they worked as they are.

          Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab, not in your browser...

          Regards,

          RS

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
            Hi R.S.,

            >I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise,
            >they worked as they are.
            >
            >Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab,
            >not in your browser...

            <G> NoteTab just opens/reloads the default browser and I
            suppose Windows puts the Url in the location area. I did
            not check out but about a half dozen Search Engines, but
            they all see to use the same boolean equations, especially
            for "AND" which is the plus sign. (See the search help/tips
            in some of the engines for advanced searches.)

            It is simple to figure out what format a particular engine
            uses, but a bit time consuming if you want a lot of them.
            In NoteTab type in an open doc the Url to the main engine
            page and click to it:

            1. www.webcrawler.com
            2. Type in keywords: dog cat
            (lowercase is case insensitive on the ones I checked)
            3. Hit search and then copy the text in the location window.

            http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=dog+cat

            For just a single search engine like the first post I posted
            replace your keywords with the prompt and put in NoteTab's
            launch format.

            H=WebCrawler
            ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?[Search format: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes]

            or for a smaller wizard window:

            H=WebCrawler
            ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
            ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?{=)

            or build onto the wizard I send it the second post:

            H=Engine List
            ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
            ^!Set %p_Engine%=^?{=_^%p_Engine%|Alta Vista|InfoSeek2|Real Names|WebCrawler}; %p_Criteria%=^?{Insert plus sign between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes=^%p_Criteria%}; %Home%=^?{Start the search?=Goto home page only^=Yes|_Search Web^=No}

            ^!Clip "^%p_Engine%"

            H=WebCrawler
            ^!IfTrue ^%Home% Skip_2
            ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
            ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^%p_Criteria%
            ^!Goto End

            ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/

            Notice in that I added to just go to the start page. You replace
            the NoteTab prompt with "^%p_Criteria%" from the first example.
            The %p_Engine% label tells NoteTab which engine to use and goes to
            the associated "^!Clip".

            We ought to bring this over to the advanced list if we want to
            discuss it more.

            Happy NoteTabbin',
            Jody Adair
            http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm