[NTB] Re: New Users

  • Apotome
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
      Hello,

      > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
      > programme I would appreciate it.

      > I bought Notetab as a text editor. I use it to write essays and then
      transfer
      > it to a word processor for formatting. I also use it to strip html tags from
      > documents I download.

      I rearranged the order of your original posting, because it seems as though you
      answered your own question. You use NoteTab for many things, every one of them
      a valid use. The neatest thing about NoteTab is that you will often find
      yourself using it when nothing else will seem to do. It's been said before,
      but it's true... NoteTab is the Swiss Army Knife of text editors.

      I never open NoteTab and ask, "What can I do with this thing.", much in the way
      you wouldn't open a Swiss Army Knife and do the same. Rather you wait for a
      task to come along, open NoteTab and it will likely take care of it.

      I just took a look at some of the most recent things I've used NoteTab for.
      Here is a brief list:

      1. A copy of an email I sent to someone.
      2. A copy of a Usenet posting I made.
      3. A price list that I found on the Usenet.
      4. Notes about a book that I am writing.
      5. Some directions for installing software that I printed out for someone.

      And if you want my 'tip of the day', here it is....

      Open a new document and then go to the DOCUMENT>USE AS PASTE BOARD option.
      Then save the page as 'Paste Board.txt' or something like that. It is one of
      the handier features when you have NoteTab open as it captures anything you
      copy in Windows, not just within NoteTab itself. You'll often find it will
      capture something you copied and meant to use, but thought you erased because
      you later copied something else to the clipboard.

      > I have downloaded some of the libraries but quite
      > honestly have no idea how to use them.

      Some libraries have some sort of help built in, in the form of the pop up info
      boxes. Others like my LeanHTML library come complete with a website designed
      to help you use it better. May I humbly suggest that you check out:

      http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/leanhtml.htm

      > I have read this newsgroup and still
      > have no idea how to make the most of this programme. But I love it as a
      > simple text editor and for a few of the functions.

      Give it time. Don't worry about finding uses for it, they will appear as you
      go about your daily computing. :)

      > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
      > programme I would appreciate it.

      I hope this helps a bit.

      Regards,

      Allan

    • Raymond Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
        Hi Larry and all,

        >One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
        >abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
        >I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
        >the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
        >want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
        >the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
        >phrase or a name, and so forth.

        Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
        after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
        other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.

        You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
        I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
        NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!

        Cheers,
        Ray

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
          Hi Ray,

          At 11:18 AM 1/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry and all,
          >
          >>One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
          >>abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
          >>I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
          >>the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
          >>want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
          >>the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
          >>phrase or a name, and so forth.
          >
          >Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
          >after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
          >other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.
          >
          >You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
          >I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
          >NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!
          >
          >Cheers,
          >Ray

          Actually I do that mostly. The times I use S&R is when I am in a hurry and
          don't have the item handy in a clip but even that is becoming less and less
          of a problems. I just recently discovered how the "paste from clipboard"
          function works when adding new clips although I am sure everyone else has
          known this for months. So I am using S&R less often now. I just posted it
          as one of my useable tools.

          Regards,

          Larry Thomas
          larryt@...