[NTB] Re: New Users

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
      Len wrote:

      > Hi Deb, Jody, All;
      >
      > I seem to have left out a step. I should never do
      > anything more demanding than grunting after dinner.
      >
      > Just in case you don't know, Jody is a guy.
      > He sometimes gets a little uptight when someone writes as
      > if he were a she. :-)
      > Jody's suggestion about the toolbar commands is good.

      Whew ..... That is really good info frae me laddie .... being in California and
      aw .. OHOH aaaa nay prrrroblem .... *||:>) ... Lucky frae me we quoted bible verse's
      frae awhile .... JoDy ... JD is one of the most helpful people on this list and the
      most prolific ...

      Cheers

      Bill and Margie Scott

      Border Collies @ Work
      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/border.htm

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
        Hi Len,

        >Just in case you don't know, Jody is a guy.
        >He sometimes gets a little uptight when someone writes as
        >if he were a she. :-)

        Actually, it is just the way they hold their mouth on how I
        respond. you know me well enough by know Len that I can joke
        around with the best of them - coming and going.

        there is/was another Jody on the list. I don't think I ever
        asked if that one is a she or he and don't dare say what I
        suspect. 8D

        cya,
        Jody

        If you right be bak, rite reel slo',
        cuz this Hillbilly don't reed to fast!

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

      • Apotome
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
          Hello,

          > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
          > programme I would appreciate it.

          > I bought Notetab as a text editor. I use it to write essays and then
          transfer
          > it to a word processor for formatting. I also use it to strip html tags from
          > documents I download.

          I rearranged the order of your original posting, because it seems as though you
          answered your own question. You use NoteTab for many things, every one of them
          a valid use. The neatest thing about NoteTab is that you will often find
          yourself using it when nothing else will seem to do. It's been said before,
          but it's true... NoteTab is the Swiss Army Knife of text editors.

          I never open NoteTab and ask, "What can I do with this thing.", much in the way
          you wouldn't open a Swiss Army Knife and do the same. Rather you wait for a
          task to come along, open NoteTab and it will likely take care of it.

          I just took a look at some of the most recent things I've used NoteTab for.
          Here is a brief list:

          1. A copy of an email I sent to someone.
          2. A copy of a Usenet posting I made.
          3. A price list that I found on the Usenet.
          4. Notes about a book that I am writing.
          5. Some directions for installing software that I printed out for someone.

          And if you want my 'tip of the day', here it is....

          Open a new document and then go to the DOCUMENT>USE AS PASTE BOARD option.
          Then save the page as 'Paste Board.txt' or something like that. It is one of
          the handier features when you have NoteTab open as it captures anything you
          copy in Windows, not just within NoteTab itself. You'll often find it will
          capture something you copied and meant to use, but thought you erased because
          you later copied something else to the clipboard.

          > I have downloaded some of the libraries but quite
          > honestly have no idea how to use them.

          Some libraries have some sort of help built in, in the form of the pop up info
          boxes. Others like my LeanHTML library come complete with a website designed
          to help you use it better. May I humbly suggest that you check out:

          http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/leanhtml.htm

          > I have read this newsgroup and still
          > have no idea how to make the most of this programme. But I love it as a
          > simple text editor and for a few of the functions.

          Give it time. Don't worry about finding uses for it, they will appear as you
          go about your daily computing. :)

          > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
          > programme I would appreciate it.

          I hope this helps a bit.

          Regards,

          Allan

        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
            Hi Larry and all,

            >One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
            >abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
            >I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
            >the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
            >want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
            >the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
            >phrase or a name, and so forth.

            Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
            after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
            other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.

            You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
            I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
            NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!

            Cheers,
            Ray

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
              Hi Ray,

              At 11:18 AM 1/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
              >Hi Larry and all,
              >
              >>One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
              >>abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
              >>I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
              >>the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
              >>want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
              >>the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
              >>phrase or a name, and so forth.
              >
              >Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
              >after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
              >other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.
              >
              >You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
              >I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
              >NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!
              >
              >Cheers,
              >Ray

              Actually I do that mostly. The times I use S&R is when I am in a hurry and
              don't have the item handy in a clip but even that is becoming less and less
              of a problems. I just recently discovered how the "paste from clipboard"
              function works when adding new clips although I am sure everyone else has
              known this for months. So I am using S&R less often now. I just posted it
              as one of my useable tools.

              Regards,

              Larry Thomas
              larryt@...