[NTB] Re: New Users

  • Len
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 1998
      Hi Deb, Jody, All;

      Just in case you don't know, Jody is a guy.
      He sometimes gets a little uptight when someone writes as
      if he were a she. :-)
      Jody's suggestion about the toolbar commands is good.

      I don't know your level of experience so bear with me.
      The NoteTab family of editors can be customized to fit
      your particular needs. This is a great text editor
      without the clipbook so I would recommend you set it up
      to your liking and become comfortable with its operation.

      If you havn't already done so, you should explore the
      Menuebar|View|Options menues and set the various options
      to your liking. Also the window right click shortcuts
      can be set via View|Options|Shortcut Menue. Some of the
      shortcuts and Toolbar commands are duplicated so you can
      set them where most convient for your use.

      To experment with the Clipbook Clips press F4 to open the
      Clipbook window. Move the vertical divider if needed,
      right click in the upper small window and then click on
      Open as Document. This will display the clipbook
      formating and the various commands used in each clip.

      Close the clipbook document, right click on one of the
      listed clips and select Edit Clip. You can edit each
      command here. Right click on the [Clips] Tab and
      select Close.

      Right click on the upper small window and select New.
      Enter a name for the new clipbook. Right click in the
      large clipbook window and select Add New Clip.
      Enter a name for the new clip.

      Select Menue Bar|Tools|Quick List Properties|Clip Assistant.
      Under commands select External programs. Click on the
      browse button (right of the window). Find and select a
      program executive (abcde.exe), you use often. Follow the
      changing OK buttons. Right click in the Clip Assistant
      window and select Close List. Left click on the [Clips]
      Tab and select Save and then close.

      Double click on the new clip. Congratulations.
      Select Menue Bar|Help|Help Topics|Index|^!CmdShow.
      Close Help.
      Select Menue Bar|Help|Help Topics|Index|Clip Language-
      Executing Programs.

      Have Fun, Happy New Year Len :-)

      At 08:06 PM 12/31/98 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi Deb,
      >
      >>I bought Notetab as a text editor....I have read this newsgroup
      >>and still have no idea how to make the most of this programme.
      >>If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they
      >>utilise this programme I would appreciate it.
      >
      >You might try looking at the help file under menu and then select
      >the menus one at a time to read. Also, you might want to load up
      >your toolbar with icons from the Options/Toolbar list to see what
      >they do and then remove them as you see what they do. There are,
      >gee, 80 something (last time I checked) so you might just want to
      >do 20 or so at a time and do them by category so to speak.
      >
      >Sorry for the two and three syllable words. <G>
      >
      >c ya,
      >Jody Adair

      Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
      Avionics Systems Engineer
      E-Mail: Len <mjlohj@...>

    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
        12/31/1998 5:38 PM Deborah Bensted wrote

        > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they
        > utilise this programme I would appreciate it.

        Hi Deb -
        The beauty of NoteTab is that everybody is able to do their
        own stuff with it. I organize all my information in
        outlines so I can locate what I want when I want it. Do
        File|New Outline and give it a try if you haven't already.

        If you find a link in the web pages you download that you'd
        like to visit, just put your cursor inside the url and
        double click. You can set it so a single click will work
        with Quick Open Links - Tools Menu.

        If you need a word count for your essays, there's Text
        Statistics - Tools Menu.

        Len already gave an explanation on how to make clips so I
        won't go into that but you don't have to program anything to
        make use of them. If you have things you type over & over,
        you can put them in a clip and use F2. The example that
        comes to mind is Yours Truly. Name the clip yt and type in
        the text Yours Truly. When you want to insert it, type yt
        and hit F2. NoteTab will replace yt with Yours Truly. It
        works with any text you want and all you need to type is
        enough of the title to make it unique for the clip you want.
        You could name the clip YoursTruly and type yo. F2 finds
        the first match for whatever you type. F2 stops at spaces
        and punctuation when picking up the letters to use to
        locate the clip so you need to avoid those when you name
        them. It's very handy once you get used to it.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        Introduction to NoteTab 4,5 Clip Programming
        http://notetab.kay.net

      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
          Len wrote:

          > Hi Deb, Jody, All;
          >
          > I seem to have left out a step. I should never do
          > anything more demanding than grunting after dinner.
          >
          > Just in case you don't know, Jody is a guy.
          > He sometimes gets a little uptight when someone writes as
          > if he were a she. :-)
          > Jody's suggestion about the toolbar commands is good.

          Whew ..... That is really good info frae me laddie .... being in California and
          aw .. OHOH aaaa nay prrrroblem .... *||:>) ... Lucky frae me we quoted bible verse's
          frae awhile .... JoDy ... JD is one of the most helpful people on this list and the
          most prolific ...

          Cheers

          Bill and Margie Scott

          Border Collies @ Work
          http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/border.htm

        • Len
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999

            ****** Select Execute Program. Click on the browse button
            (right of the window). Find and select a
            program executive (abcde.exe), you use often. Follow the
            changing OK buttons. Right click in the Clip Assistant
            window and select Close List. Left click on the [Clips]
            Tab and select Save and then close.

            Double click on the new clip. Congratulations.
            Select Menue Bar|Help|Help Topics|Index|^!CmdShow.
            Close Help.
            Select Menue Bar|Help|Help Topics|Index|Clip Language-
            Executing Programs.

            Have Fun, Happy New Year Len :-)

            At 08:06 PM 12/31/98 -0600, you wrote:
            >Hi Deb,
            >
            >>I bought Notetab as a text editor....I have read this newsgroup
            >>and still have no idea how to make the most of this programme.
            >>If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they
            >>utilise this programme I would appreciate it.
            >
            >You might try looking at the help file under menu and then select
            >the menus one at a time to read. Also, you might want to load up
            >your toolbar with icons from the Options/Toolbar list to see what
            >they do and then remove them as you see what they do. There are,
            >gee, 80 something (last time I checked) so you might just want to
            >do 20 or so at a time and do them by category so to speak.
            >
            >Sorry for the two and three syllable words. <G>
            >
            >c ya,
            >Jody Adair

            Did you notice any other errors ? :-))

            HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!! Len

            Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
            Avionics Systems Engineer
            E-Mail: Len <mjlohj@...>

          • Larry Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
              Hi Deb,

              At 04:38 PM 12/31/98 -0700, you wrote:
              >Hi
              >
              >I bought Notetab as a text editor. I use it to write essays and then
              transfer it to a word processor for formatting. I also use it to strip
              html tags from documents I download. I have downloaded some of the
              libraries but quite honestly have no idea how to use them. I have read
              this newsgroup and still have no idea how to make the most of this
              programme. But I love it as a simple text editor and for a few of the
              functions.

              >If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
              programme I would appreciate it.

              >Deb

              One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
              abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
              I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
              the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
              want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
              the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
              phrase or a name, and so forth.

              Regards,

              Larry Thomas
              larryt@...

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
                Hi Len,

                >Just in case you don't know, Jody is a guy.
                >He sometimes gets a little uptight when someone writes as
                >if he were a she. :-)

                Actually, it is just the way they hold their mouth on how I
                respond. you know me well enough by know Len that I can joke
                around with the best of them - coming and going.

                there is/was another Jody on the list. I don't think I ever
                asked if that one is a she or he and don't dare say what I
                suspect. 8D

                cya,
                Jody

                If you right be bak, rite reel slo',
                cuz this Hillbilly don't reed to fast!

                http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

              • Apotome
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 1999
                  Hello,

                  > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
                  > programme I would appreciate it.

                  > I bought Notetab as a text editor. I use it to write essays and then
                  transfer
                  > it to a word processor for formatting. I also use it to strip html tags from
                  > documents I download.

                  I rearranged the order of your original posting, because it seems as though you
                  answered your own question. You use NoteTab for many things, every one of them
                  a valid use. The neatest thing about NoteTab is that you will often find
                  yourself using it when nothing else will seem to do. It's been said before,
                  but it's true... NoteTab is the Swiss Army Knife of text editors.

                  I never open NoteTab and ask, "What can I do with this thing.", much in the way
                  you wouldn't open a Swiss Army Knife and do the same. Rather you wait for a
                  task to come along, open NoteTab and it will likely take care of it.

                  I just took a look at some of the most recent things I've used NoteTab for.
                  Here is a brief list:

                  1. A copy of an email I sent to someone.
                  2. A copy of a Usenet posting I made.
                  3. A price list that I found on the Usenet.
                  4. Notes about a book that I am writing.
                  5. Some directions for installing software that I printed out for someone.

                  And if you want my 'tip of the day', here it is....

                  Open a new document and then go to the DOCUMENT>USE AS PASTE BOARD option.
                  Then save the page as 'Paste Board.txt' or something like that. It is one of
                  the handier features when you have NoteTab open as it captures anything you
                  copy in Windows, not just within NoteTab itself. You'll often find it will
                  capture something you copied and meant to use, but thought you erased because
                  you later copied something else to the clipboard.

                  > I have downloaded some of the libraries but quite
                  > honestly have no idea how to use them.

                  Some libraries have some sort of help built in, in the form of the pop up info
                  boxes. Others like my LeanHTML library come complete with a website designed
                  to help you use it better. May I humbly suggest that you check out:

                  http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/leanhtml.htm

                  > I have read this newsgroup and still
                  > have no idea how to make the most of this programme. But I love it as a
                  > simple text editor and for a few of the functions.

                  Give it time. Don't worry about finding uses for it, they will appear as you
                  go about your daily computing. :)

                  > If someone could explain in words of one syllable how they utilise this
                  > programme I would appreciate it.

                  I hope this helps a bit.

                  Regards,

                  Allan

                • Raymond Fitzgerald
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
                    Hi Larry and all,

                    >One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
                    >abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
                    >I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
                    >the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
                    >want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
                    >the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
                    >phrase or a name, and so forth.

                    Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
                    after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
                    other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.

                    You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
                    I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
                    NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!

                    Cheers,
                    Ray

                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 1999
                      Hi Ray,

                      At 11:18 AM 1/4/99 -0600, you wrote:
                      >Hi Larry and all,
                      >
                      >>One use that I like for NoteTab is to use search and replace to replace
                      >>abbreviations that I make in my documents for large words or for phrases.
                      >>I will go along typing and I might have a large word that I spell wrong all
                      >>the time so I put in a two or three letter abbreviation for it where ever I
                      >>want it in my document. Then when I finish, I do a Search and Replace of
                      >>the abbreviation with the correctly spelled word. The same works for a
                      >>phrase or a name, and so forth.
                      >
                      >Have you tried putting these in your favorite clip library? Then just F2
                      >after typing the abbreviation. OnClipboardChange does the same thing for
                      >other applications! Except you cut or copy what you typed.
                      >
                      >You can also do just about anything else similarly, I guess. For instance,
                      >I've got a few frequently-visited Web pages set up this way. Same thing--in
                      >NTB F2 or in other apps cut or copy--and the browser brings up the page!
                      >
                      >Cheers,
                      >Ray

                      Actually I do that mostly. The times I use S&R is when I am in a hurry and
                      don't have the item handy in a clip but even that is becoming less and less
                      of a problems. I just recently discovered how the "paste from clipboard"
                      function works when adding new clips although I am sure everyone else has
                      known this for months. So I am using S&R less often now. I just posted it
                      as one of my useable tools.

                      Regards,

                      Larry Thomas
                      larryt@...