[NTB] Re: Non-MAPI email: Was Save all in Notetab Pro 4.52

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 1998
      Hi John and Kay,

      ==============================
      At 08:16 AM 12/7/98 -0000, John wrote:

      Can I use Notetab Pro and send out E-mail directly from the document I am
      working on? Because I tried to use the Send Email clip that came in the
      launch clipbook that came with the program?? It seemed to work (by that I
      mean no errors)but when I checked my hotmail account, there was no mail
      from myself... seems to me that I am missing something, or the clip is...

      Thanks in advance!!
      Sweetgent
      ==============================
      At 02:51 AM 12/7/98 -0600, Kay wrote:

      Your e-mail program actually sends the mail. NoteTab may be used to
      tell it what to send. Whether you need to use links in a text file
      or clip instructions depends on your e-mail program & MAPI. I use
      TheBat & can't use clips so haven't paid much attention to the MAPI
      stuff but others in the group can help you if you use Eudora, etc.

      Welcome aboard!

      --- Grandma Kay ---
      ==============================

      My Reply:

      I use the ^!EMAIL command in a clip I wrote and have Eudora set to always
      use MAPI but during the 9 days that I was trying to get the ^!EMAIL command
      to work, I was getting help from Jody on a non-mapi method of doing the
      same thing.

      If your email client (TheBat, Pegasus, Postie, etc) uses a regular windows
      interface, so that you can send ^!KEYBOARD commands to it and paste the
      clipboard contents to it then you should be able to use the following clip.

      You should first run your email program and check out the keystrokes that
      are necessary to start a new message and to move from field to field. Also
      note which field you start in when you open a new message and the sequence
      of moves you go through to get to the body of the message. Then you can
      modify the following to work with your program.

      It is my experience that you should start your program and get on line
      first before you activate the clip. Mine has had problems in that it
      either starts before the mail program is ready or if delayed, it starts
      while the dialer is dialing and messes up my dialer settings without doing
      what I designed it for. That is a major disadvantage of non-mapi over the
      ^!EMAIL command although you may be creative enough to write a clip that
      overcomes this condition.

      Here is the clip:

      ---------< start clip >---------
      H="Non Mapi Mail"
      ^!SetColumnWrap 250
      ^!JUMP DOC_START
      ^!SET %ADDRESS%=^$GETLINE$
      ^!DELETELINE
      ^!SET %SUBJECT%=^$GETLINE$
      ^!DELETELINE
      ^!SET %CC%=^$GETLINE$
      ^!DELETELINE
      ^!SET %BCC%=^$GETLINE$
      ^!DELETELINE
      ^!SetColumnWrap 80
      ^!FOCUSAPP EUDORA*
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+N
      ^!SETCLIPBOARD ^%ADDRESS%
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+V TAB
      ^!SETCLIPBOARD ^%SUBJECT%
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+V TAB
      ^!SETCLIPBOARD ^%CC%
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+V TAB
      ^!SETCLIPBOARD ^%BCC%
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+V TAB
      ^!TOOLBAR COPY ALL
      ^!KEYBOARD CTRL+V
      ^!TOOLBAR UNDO
      ^!TOOLBAR UNDO
      ^!TOOLBAR UNDO
      ^!TOOLBAR UNDO
      ---------< end clip >-----------

      You can set the final column wrap to whatever is your normal setting, My
      normal setting is 80. The temporary setting of 250 is to get all of the
      cc: and bcc: info into the variable.

      WARNING:

      This clip treats the first four lines as Address, Subject, Cc, and Bcc. If
      you use hard returns rather than word wrap to wrap the lines then they will
      not be entered into your mail program properly and will end up in the wrong
      field and in the body of the message. Also you must have the first four
      lines with a hard return at the end of each one before the body of your
      text, or the first line/paragraph will end up in one of your header fields.
      You can rearrange the info to fit your usage and even delete sections of
      the clip if you do not routinely use Cc: or Bcc:.

      ==============================
      On the Advanced list to me:
      At 09:29 AM 12/7/98 -0600, Jody wrote:

      Larry and I had passed some private e-mail about this. I don't
      have his original, but this is the basics of what I have to
      select my second user in Eudora. It could be modified to fit
      other e-mail programs as well:

      ^!Set %eMail%=^?{Address}; %Subject%=^?{Subject}

      ^!FocusApp Eudora Pro
      ^!KeyBoard Alt+M Shift+N Down Enter
      ^!Delay 5
      ^!SetClipboard ^%eMail%
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V Tab
      ^!SetClipboard ^%Subject%
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V Tab Tab Tab Tab
      ^!ToolBar Copy All
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$
      ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

      cya,
      jody
      ==============================

      My Response:

      Pay no attention to Jody's:

      ^!ToolBar Copy All
      ^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$

      It looks pretty dim as though you might lockup NoteTab in a loop copying
      the clipboard to the clipboard over and over and over....

      But actually, BroJo was just trying to cheer me up with a little humor when
      I discovered that I did not know my MAPI from a hole in the ground. And he
      succeeded!

      Thanks.

      Larry Thomas
      larryt@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 1998
        Hi Larry,

        >^!KeyBoard Alt+M Shift+N Down Enter
        >^!ToolBar Copy All
        >^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$
        >^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

        >^!ToolBar Copy All
        >^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$

        >It looks pretty dim as though you might lockup NoteTab in a loop copying
        >the clipboard to the clipboard over and over and over....

        I don't understand what you are saying there?

        All I am doing is copying all the text in NoteTab to the clipboard.

        What I was trying to show was a way to get to a non-primary/dominant
        user to initiate the mail without having to use #macros#.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
        clean-funnies-subscribe@...
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 1998
          Hi Jody,

          At 08:55 PM 12/7/98 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >>^!KeyBoard Alt+M Shift+N Down Enter
          >>^!ToolBar Copy All
          >>^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$
          >>^!Keyboard Ctrl+V
          >
          >>^!ToolBar Copy All
          >>^!SetClipboard ^$GetClipBoard$
          >
          >>It looks pretty dim as though you might lockup NoteTab in a loop copying
          >>the clipboard to the clipboard over and over and over....
          >
          >I don't understand what you are saying there?

          ^!Toolbar Copy All
          ^!Keyboard Ctrl+V

          Does the job just fine by itself. ^!SetClipBoard places whatever follows
          it into the clipboard. ^$GetClipBoard$ is a function that returns the
          contents of the clipboard. Everything in your code looks fine to me except
          ^!SetClipBoard ^$GetClipBoard$ which appear to send the contents of the
          clipboard to the clipboard. I am sorry, I thought you were making a joke
          with that one item.

          Regards,

          Larry Thomas
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 1998
            Hi Larry,

            Of course, duh, - I know that - like I said - one of my days. :(

            >I am sorry, I thought you were making a joke
            >with that one item.

            Nope, but thanks for catching it.

            c ya,
            Jody Adair