[NTB] Re: NoteTab Search Engine

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 1998
      07.12.1998 4:12 AM djust@... wrote

      >> Able2Find NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
      > I'm in favor of this one. "Dedicated" is clearer than "Mini". Is the
      > purpose of "Able2Find" to get it near the top of alphabetical
      > indexes, or just to give a generic name to the mini-engine
      > concept?

      Both. It wasn't easy trying to come up with a name that
      would go with an available domain but I think I like this one.
      I get pretty disgusted working my way through trash on the
      SE's & I'm hoping to have some specific ones where people
      will really be able2find what they want :)

      Once I put links on my main site, it shouldn't take long
      to get listed on the majors. I did a search for NoteTab
      awhile back & my NoteTab Accessories page came up pretty
      high on several even though it's never been submitted to
      any. All it took was a link on my home page & LOTS of
      reading about designing for the engines.

      --- Grandma Kay ---
      Introduction to NoteTab 4,5 Clip Programming
      http://notetab.kay.net

    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 16, 1999
        new permanent address -

        NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
        http:\\able2find.com/notetab

        I'm pretty sure it's stable :) but plan to try to add user
        delete & edit so that could change. It's still moderated so
        submissions don't show up until I get over to approve them -
        I try to be quick.

        There haven't been many submissions while I was working on
        it & there aren't any in the last 30 days so that search
        won't find anything until someone makes a submission.

        Comments on whether there are too many categories? With the
        search, I'm thinking maybe all the Libraries should just be
        under Libraries & all the Clips under Clips.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 16, 1999
          Hi Kay,

          >new permanent address -
          >
          >NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
          >http:\\able2find.com/notetab

          I hope it is not too permanent. I like this one better:

          http://able2find.com/notetab <g>

          >Comments on whether there are too many categories? With the
          >search, I'm thinking maybe all the Libraries should just be
          >under Libraries & all the Clips under Clips.

          I like the amount of categories and perhaps in time they will
          be needed more. The more categories there are the fewer hits
          should be found when searching so one doesn't have to weed
          through a lot of stuff the is barely related.

          I would like to see the input text box and search button on
          each page though so we don't have to keep hitting back to do
          another search. Have you tried NoteTab? I'm sure it could
          handle the task fairly simply. :-)

          Nice start on kqref.otl - someday - haha - I'll "finish" mine
          that I've been adding a few things a month for the past year. <g>

          c ya,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 16, 1999
            1/16/1999 11:38 PM Jody wrote

            >>new permanent address -
            >>
            >>NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
            >>http:\\able2find.com/notetab

            > I hope it is not too permanent. I like this one better:

            > http://able2find.com/notetab <g>

            I just can NOT believe how consistently I mess up urls when
            I post to the list!!!! I think people are getting used to
            them though - several managed to get there.

            I forgot about the search forms on the results pages. I'll
            see what I can do. The cgi creates the results pages so
            it's not quite as easy as HTML.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
              > I forgot about the search forms on the results pages. I'll
              > see what I can do. The cgi creates the results pages so
              > it's not quite as easy as HTML.

              It was easier than I thought but not exactly the best
              display because of the way I had to do it. Now if I
              could just get the pages close to looking the same
              in different browsers.

              Anyone considering multiple submissions might want to wait
              just a bit. I'm working on making it easier.

              --- Grandma Kay ---
              Introduction to NoteTab 4,5 Clip Programming
              http://notetab.kay.net

            • R.S.
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
                Hi Kay,

                At 07:41 PM 01/16/99 -0600, you wrote:

                >NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
                >http:\\able2find.com/notetab
                >
                >I'm pretty sure it's stable :) but plan to try to add user
                >delete & edit so that could change.

                What are the "delete & edit" for? So one can change his/her submission's description?

                >There haven't been many submissions while I was working on
                >it & there aren't any in the last 30 days so that search
                >won't find anything until someone makes a submission.

                I think this engine is a very good idea. Didn't submit so far, because I haven't worked on my page recently. By I intend to do it as soon as I have time.

                >Comments on whether there are too many categories? With the
                >search, I'm thinking maybe all the Libraries should just be
                >under Libraries & all the Clips under Clips.

                I found kind of confusing all those many Categories. I like your idea.

                I agree with Jody in that:

                >I would like to see the input text box and search button on
                >each page though so we don't have to keep hitting back to do
                >another search.

                Regards,

                RS

              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
                  1/17/1999 3:23 PM R.S. wrote

                  > At 07:41 PM 01/16/99 -0600, you wrote:

                  >>NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
                  >>http://able2find.com/notetab
                  >>
                  >>I'm pretty sure it's stable :) but plan to try to add user
                  >>delete & edit so that could change.

                  > What are the "delete & edit" for? So one can change his/her
                  > submission's description?

                  Yes. I kept it in beta thinking I would get that done but
                  finally decided just to go ahead. Hopefully, one day soon
                  I'll be able to implement that.

                  >>There haven't been many submissions while I was working on
                  >>it & there aren't any in the last 30 days so that search
                  >>won't find anything until someone makes a submission.

                  Wayne did a new one :)

                  >>Comments on whether there are too many categories? With the
                  >>search, I'm thinking maybe all the Libraries should just be
                  >>under Libraries & all the Clips under Clips.

                  > I found kind of confusing all those many Categories. I like
                  > your idea.

                  One for lots & one for a few & I was having trouble making
                  up my mind before :)

                  > I agree with Jody in that:
                  >>I would like to see the input text box and search button on
                  >>each page though so we don't have to keep hitting back to do
                  >>another search.

                  By the way, so far everything contains the word NoteTab so
                  searching for that will give you all entries.

                  It should be there now. The Library for multiple
                  submissions is in beta & should be available soon.

                  Has anyone figured out how to get TypeBack to do a Tab?
                  That gave me fits so I finally gave up & went with KeyBoard.

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                  Introduction to NoteTab 4,5 Clip Programming
                  http://notetab.kay.net

                • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
                    Kay Roath <notetab@...> wrote:

                    >1/17/1999 3:23 PM R.S. wrote
                    >
                    >> At 07:41 PM 01/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
                    >
                    >>>NoteTab Dedicated Search Engine
                    >>>http://able2find.com/notetab
                    >>>
                    >>>I'm pretty sure it's stable :) but plan to try to add user
                    >>>delete & edit so that could change.

                    >Wayne did a new one :)

                    I'll add more later. I had not played around with the
                    search before submitting, and thought it was just
                    listing web pages, instead of individual libraries
                    and clips.

                    >>>Comments on whether there are too many categories? With the
                    >>>search, I'm thinking maybe all the Libraries should just be
                    >>>under Libraries & all the Clips under Clips.

                    There should be a third category for Outlines.

                    >> I found kind of confusing all those many Categories. I like
                    >> your idea.
                    >
                    >One for lots & one for a few & I was having trouble making
                    >up my mind before :)

                    I vote for either fewer categories - or better - many
                    categories but allowing each entry to be placed in multiple
                    categories (check all that apply)

                    ***
                    View in a fixed width font:

                    ############
                    ############
                    ############
                    ############
                    ## ##
                    ############
                    ############
                    ############
                    ############

                    (Excuse the limitations of ASCII, and assume that
                    the #'s are each perfect, solid squares.)

                    The above shape is a rectangle, with a slotted hole
                    in the middle. How can this shape be split into just
                    two pieces, so that the resulting two pieces can be fit
                    together to form a perfect square without any holes?

                    (There are no tricks. The two pieces must fit
                    together with no overlap, bending, etc; just like
                    jigsaw puzzle pieces.)

                    --
                    Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                    ICQ: 15117288

                  • R.S.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
                      Hi Kay ,Wayne,Jody, et al,

                      At 11:16 PM 01/17/99 GMT, you wrote:

                      >thought it was just
                      >listing web pages, instead of individual libraries
                      >and clips.

                      Didn't know either.

                      >There should be a third category for Outlines.

                      Good point.

                      >> I found kind of confusing all those many Categories. I like
                      >> your idea.
                      >
                      >One for lots & one for a few & I was having trouble making
                      >up my mind before :)

                      If it's too complicated people won't use it. I looked at it sometime during the beta and found it was going to be kind of difficult to determine which category to choose. In some cases the option could be many categories at the same time. In others, none of the existing categories might seem to be right!

                      But the main problem I see is when somebody wants to make a search: look first under Category A -- no, it's not there -- then under Category B -- neither that... -- and so on...Add to this the "speed" at which web pages load from the Net, and you will be scaring everybody away!

                      Now, it is different if you just have two or three Categories. Then if you are looking for, for example, Perl stuff you search under Libraries; and then, if necessary (or in addition), under Clips. And that's it. --- (I'd recommend merging these two into one single Category: "Clips and Libraries". Else, I foresee we'll always have to do a double search!)

                      Finally, if you opt for having multiple Categories, I agree with Wayne in that:

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 17, 1999
                        1/17/1999 8:33 PM R.S. wrote

                        > Hi Kay ,Wayne,Jody, et al,

                        > At 11:16 PM 01/17/99 GMT, you wrote:

                        The categories I'm considering are:
                        Discussion Groups/Newsletters
                        Manuals/Tutorials/Reference
                        Web Pages
                        Clips
                        Libraries
                        External

                        A search will find any matching entry in any category. The
                        categories are only used for displaying all the entries in
                        the selected categories. I see I need to fix the
                        descriptions and I think I'll probably reduce the categories
                        to eliminate some confusion. With the script I'm using, I
                        have to work around the fact that it reads data out of a
                        config file and generates the list of categories - doesn't
                        fit well with descriptions being in the area where they
                        should be :( I'm having trouble with my ISP again so doubt
                        that I'll be doing anything real soon. I barely managed to
                        get on to check mail & not even sure I'll be able to send
                        @#&%@%$!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 20, 1999
                          Hi Kay,

                          At 09:57 PM 01/17/99 -0600, you wrote:

                          >The categories I'm considering are:
                          >Discussion Groups/Newsletters
                          >Manuals/Tutorials/Reference
                          >Web Pages
                          >Clips
                          >Libraries
                          >External
                          >
                          >A search will find any matching entry in any category. The
                          >categories are only used for displaying all the entries in
                          >the selected categories.

                          They seem pretty good to me. -:)

                          My concern was about having to search one Category at a time. Since that's not the case, I have nothing to object. All to the contrary, they might even prove useful!

                          Regards,

                          RS