[NTB] Re: Help with .ini

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
      Hi Bob,

      >Whenever I now close NoteTab Std I get a message "Unable to save to
      >c:\Notetab Std\NOTETAB.ini".
      >The 64k NOTETAB.ini file is in the correct directory and it has been
      >successfully updated in the past.

      I've never seen that before. I'm curious if anybody has a NoteTab
      or NotePro ini file that size though?

      NotePro.ini 12.3kb
      NoteTab.ini 11.1kb

      I'd try moving the file completely out of the NoteTab folders and
      let NoteTab build a new one. First you can try with it open so it
      will save your current settings for you. If that doesn't work,
      after it closes delete the new one made, restart, and close again.

      Make sure you do not have any other NoteTab ini files in any of
      NoteTab's folders.

      c ya,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
    • Bob Segrave
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
        Thanks Jody
        That seems to have done the trick.
        Tomorrow I'll have a look at the old .ini file and see why it ended up so
        large.
        Regards
        Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
          Hi Jody
          Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost 500 of these:

          "WMV-PM.477.1=
          WMV-PM.477=
          WMV-PM.477.NUMFILES=
          WMV-PM.477.1STWINDOW=
          WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="

          Regards
          Bob
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
            Hi Bob,

            >Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost
            >500 of these:
            >WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="

            LOL!!! Those are from Wayne's Project Manager. You have
            been busy making some projects, eh? :) Perhaps Eric put a
            limit on the size of the ini file. I suggest you delete a
            bunch of them, if not all and save your .ini file as
            !NoteTab.ini with the exclamation point. If you still get
            the error after restarting and closing just trash it since
            you have another one working. The advantage is so you don't
            have to reset all your options.

            Hey Wayne, is that normal for it to do; did you not plan on
            industrial usage? :-) Methinks Bob had enough projects
            going on for all of us with nothing going on in them. :-)

            Später,
            Jody Adair

            I can only please one person a day.
            Today is obviously not your day.
            Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)
            http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
          • Lawrence R. Thomas
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
              At 04:20 PM 12/3/98 +1100, you wrote:
              >Hi Jody
              >Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost 500 of these:
              >
              >"WMV-PM.477.1=
              >WMV-PM.477=
              >WMV-PM.477.NUMFILES=
              >WMV-PM.477.1STWINDOW=
              >WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="
              >
              >Regards
              >Bob

              Hi Bob,

              I cannot find the source but I have read that Microsoft set up the system
              registry to overcome a 64 K size limitation on .ini files. That may be why
              your NoteTab Std stopped updating the .ini when it reached 64 K because it
              could not.

              Regards,

              Larry Thomas
              larryt@...
            • Lawrence R. Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                Try using:

                Clear INI file Clip values: ClearValues
                ^!ClearValues
                Deletes all Clip values stored in NoteTab INI file (or registry if so
                configured). Values are located under the [ClipValues] section.

                Alternatively, you can select View/Options and select the Advanced tab and
                place a check mark in the box labelled "Store Settings in Registry".

                Regards,

                Larry Thomas
                larryt@...
              • Bob Segrave
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                  Oh - thanks.
                  It certainly works ok at about 6kb!
                  Regards Bob

                  > I cannot find the source but I have read that Microsoft set up the system
                  > registry to overcome a 64 K size limitation on .ini files. That
                  > may be why
                  > your NoteTab Std stopped updating the .ini when it reached 64 K because it
                  > could not.

                • Bob Segrave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                    Thanks again
                    As I mentioned from work, the new .ini file is working fine, and it will be
                    no problem to set up new projects under the manager - although as far as I
                    know I set up only about 10 to cover my various Web sites. They seem to have
                    bred!
                    Regards Bob

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                      Hi Bob,

                      >As I mentioned from work, the new .ini file is working fine,
                      >and it will be no problem to set up new projects under the
                      >manager - although as far as I know I set up only about 10 to
                      >cover my various Web sites. They seem to have bred!

                      Yes, they certainly were mutiplying like rabbits. :) However,
                      there were no values in them. Just looking at the few I saw
                      you sent my guess is that everytime you ran PM those blank
                      entries were being made. Check your ini file again after awhile
                      to see if more are being made. Perhaps you have a corrupted
                      copy or it has a bug in it. Here is the link for ver. 2.22:

                      http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/notetab.htm
                      NoteTab Project Manager 2.22
                      http://othello.localaccess.com/waynemv/ProjMngr.zip

                      >> LOL!!! Those are from Wayne's Project Manager. You have
                      >> been busy making some projects, eh? :)

                      FYI, I wasn't laughing at you or Wayne's PM, but the situation.
                      I find things like that funny. I try no to take any of this
                      stuff too serious, less I go mad. :-)