[NTB] Help with .ini

  • Bob Segrave
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
      Help appreciated.
      Whenever I now close NoteTab Std I get a message "Unable to save to
      c:\Notetab Std\NOTETAB.ini".
      The 64k NOTETAB.ini file is in the correct directory and it has been
      successfully updated in the past.
      Thanks for any help.
      Bob

      x.............................................................x
      Bob Segrave
      Australian DeafBlind Council
      PO Box 267, Clifton Hill Vic. Australia 3068
      Tel. + 613 9482 1155 Fax + 613 9486 2092
      TTY +613 9489 3091

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
        Hi Bob,

        >Whenever I now close NoteTab Std I get a message "Unable to save to
        >c:\Notetab Std\NOTETAB.ini".
        >The 64k NOTETAB.ini file is in the correct directory and it has been
        >successfully updated in the past.

        I've never seen that before. I'm curious if anybody has a NoteTab
        or NotePro ini file that size though?

        NotePro.ini 12.3kb
        NoteTab.ini 11.1kb

        I'd try moving the file completely out of the NoteTab folders and
        let NoteTab build a new one. First you can try with it open so it
        will save your current settings for you. If that doesn't work,
        after it closes delete the new one made, restart, and close again.

        Make sure you do not have any other NoteTab ini files in any of
        NoteTab's folders.

        c ya,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
      • Bob Segrave
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
          Thanks Jody
          That seems to have done the trick.
          Tomorrow I'll have a look at the old .ini file and see why it ended up so
          large.
          Regards
          Bob

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
            Hi Jody
            Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost 500 of these:

            "WMV-PM.477.1=
            WMV-PM.477=
            WMV-PM.477.NUMFILES=
            WMV-PM.477.1STWINDOW=
            WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="

            Regards
            Bob
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
              Hi Bob,

              >Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost
              >500 of these:
              >WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="

              LOL!!! Those are from Wayne's Project Manager. You have
              been busy making some projects, eh? :) Perhaps Eric put a
              limit on the size of the ini file. I suggest you delete a
              bunch of them, if not all and save your .ini file as
              !NoteTab.ini with the exclamation point. If you still get
              the error after restarting and closing just trash it since
              you have another one working. The advantage is so you don't
              have to reset all your options.

              Hey Wayne, is that normal for it to do; did you not plan on
              industrial usage? :-) Methinks Bob had enough projects
              going on for all of us with nothing going on in them. :-)

              Später,
              Jody Adair

              I can only please one person a day.
              Today is obviously not your day.
              Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)
              http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
            • Lawrence R. Thomas
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
                At 04:20 PM 12/3/98 +1100, you wrote:
                >Hi Jody
                >Just checking the old .ini as I leave work, and found almost 500 of these:
                >
                >"WMV-PM.477.1=
                >WMV-PM.477=
                >WMV-PM.477.NUMFILES=
                >WMV-PM.477.1STWINDOW=
                >WMV-PM.477.2NDWINDOW="
                >
                >Regards
                >Bob

                Hi Bob,

                I cannot find the source but I have read that Microsoft set up the system
                registry to overcome a 64 K size limitation on .ini files. That may be why
                your NoteTab Std stopped updating the .ini when it reached 64 K because it
                could not.

                Regards,

                Larry Thomas
                larryt@...
              • Lawrence R. Thomas
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                  Try using:

                  Clear INI file Clip values: ClearValues
                  ^!ClearValues
                  Deletes all Clip values stored in NoteTab INI file (or registry if so
                  configured). Values are located under the [ClipValues] section.

                  Alternatively, you can select View/Options and select the Advanced tab and
                  place a check mark in the box labelled "Store Settings in Registry".

                  Regards,

                  Larry Thomas
                  larryt@...
                • Bob Segrave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                    Oh - thanks.
                    It certainly works ok at about 6kb!
                    Regards Bob

                    > I cannot find the source but I have read that Microsoft set up the system
                    > registry to overcome a 64 K size limitation on .ini files. That
                    > may be why
                    > your NoteTab Std stopped updating the .ini when it reached 64 K because it
                    > could not.

                  • Bob Segrave
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                      Thanks again
                      As I mentioned from work, the new .ini file is working fine, and it will be
                      no problem to set up new projects under the manager - although as far as I
                      know I set up only about 10 to cover my various Web sites. They seem to have
                      bred!
                      Regards Bob

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 3, 1998
                        Hi Bob,

                        >As I mentioned from work, the new .ini file is working fine,
                        >and it will be no problem to set up new projects under the
                        >manager - although as far as I know I set up only about 10 to
                        >cover my various Web sites. They seem to have bred!

                        Yes, they certainly were mutiplying like rabbits. :) However,
                        there were no values in them. Just looking at the few I saw
                        you sent my guess is that everytime you ran PM those blank
                        entries were being made. Check your ini file again after awhile
                        to see if more are being made. Perhaps you have a corrupted
                        copy or it has a bug in it. Here is the link for ver. 2.22:

                        http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/notetab.htm
                        NoteTab Project Manager 2.22
                        http://othello.localaccess.com/waynemv/ProjMngr.zip

                        >> LOL!!! Those are from Wayne's Project Manager. You have
                        >> been busy making some projects, eh? :)

                        FYI, I wasn't laughing at you or Wayne's PM, but the situation.
                        I find things like that funny. I try no to take any of this
                        stuff too serious, less I go mad. :-)