[NTB] Re: Using clips to launch javac.exe to compile .java files

    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
      Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,

      >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."

      >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
      >talking about =)

      Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
      open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
      file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
      stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.

      Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
      should for Terrence as well. :)

      >^!CmdShow Minimize
      >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat

      >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
      >DOS when finished.

      >^!CmdShow Minimize
      >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat

      >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
      >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
      >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
      >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
      >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.

      c ya,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
    • MKT Song
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
        Hello Jody, Sami and Larry,

        Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. The batch file thingi should work
        just fine for what I am doing.

        Regards,
        Terence
        ----------------------
        MKT Song
        Centre for Communications Research
        University of Bristol
        Terence.Song@...

        On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jody wrote:

        > Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,
        >
        > >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
        >
        > >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
        > >talking about =)
        >
        > Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
        > open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
        > file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
        > stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.
        >
        > Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
        > should for Terrence as well. :)
        >
        > >^!CmdShow Minimize
        > >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat
        >
        > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
        > >DOS when finished.
        >
        > >^!CmdShow Minimize
        > >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat
        >
        > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
        > >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
        > >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
        > >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
        > >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.
        >

        > c ya,
        > Jody Adair
        > Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23
        >
        > http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
        > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

      • MKT Song
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
          Hi Larry and Sami,

          I have written the batch file and clip as you suggested. Here they are.

          The batch file:

          @echo off
          if exist %1.class del %1.class
          javac %1.java
          pause

          if exist %1.class goto run
          it not exist %1.class goto stop

          :run
          java %1
          pause

          :stop

          And here is the clip:

          ^!Set %JFullFilePathWithExt%="^**"
          ^!Set %FileNameWithExt%=^$StrDelete(^%JFullFilePathWithExt%;1;46)$
          ^!Set %FileNameSize%=^$StrSize(^%FileNameWithExt%)$
          ^!Set %DotIndex%=^$[^%FileNameSize% - 4;0]
          ^!Set %FileNameNoExt%=^$StrDelete(^%FileNameWithExt%;^%DotIndex%;5)$

          ^!CmdShow Normal
          ^!Prompt ^%FileNameNoExt%

          ^!Command.com /c jcr.bat ^%FileNameNoExt%

          I had to do a few things in the clip to get rid of the full path,
          otherwise, the batch file would only get part of the path (The path in
          %1 would be delimited by the first space character encountered).

          Though the clip and batch file works, there is a limitation. Using the
          current clip, I cannot pass command line arguments to my java program when
          I run it (through the "java" interpreter). How do I prompt for text fields
          from the user and then enter the contents of the text fields into
          variables when I run the clip.

          Your suggestions are very much welcomed. Many thanks.

          Regards,
          Terence