[NTB] Re: Using clips to launch javac.exe to compile .javafiles

  • Sami Jarvinen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
      >> You could make a batch file which executes javac.exe and
      >> redirects output to a file, then you could read that file
      >> in NoteTab. This is what I do in my JavaClips, a perhaps-
      >> soon-to-be-released clip library for Java programmers.
      > There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
      > I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but
      > possibly that could be unchecked if checked??? I tried to
      > find the one that FTP.exe uses at one time to run in
      > minimized, but had no luck.

      Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking
      about =)
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
        Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,

        >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."

        >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
        >talking about =)

        Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
        open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
        file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
        stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.

        Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
        should for Terrence as well. :)

        >^!CmdShow Minimize
        >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat

        >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
        >DOS when finished.

        >^!CmdShow Minimize
        >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat

        >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
        >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
        >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
        >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
        >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.

        c ya,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
      • MKT Song
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
          Hello Jody, Sami and Larry,

          Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. The batch file thingi should work
          just fine for what I am doing.

          Regards,
          Terence
          ----------------------
          MKT Song
          Centre for Communications Research
          University of Bristol
          Terence.Song@...

          On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jody wrote:

          > Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,
          >
          > >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
          >
          > >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
          > >talking about =)
          >
          > Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
          > open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
          > file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
          > stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.
          >
          > Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
          > should for Terrence as well. :)
          >
          > >^!CmdShow Minimize
          > >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat
          >
          > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
          > >DOS when finished.
          >
          > >^!CmdShow Minimize
          > >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat
          >
          > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
          > >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
          > >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
          > >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
          > >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.
          >

          > c ya,
          > Jody Adair
          > Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23
          >
          > http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
          > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com

        • MKT Song
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
            Hi Larry and Sami,

            I have written the batch file and clip as you suggested. Here they are.

            The batch file:

            @echo off
            if exist %1.class del %1.class
            javac %1.java
            pause

            if exist %1.class goto run
            it not exist %1.class goto stop

            :run
            java %1
            pause

            :stop

            And here is the clip:

            ^!Set %JFullFilePathWithExt%="^**"
            ^!Set %FileNameWithExt%=^$StrDelete(^%JFullFilePathWithExt%;1;46)$
            ^!Set %FileNameSize%=^$StrSize(^%FileNameWithExt%)$
            ^!Set %DotIndex%=^$[^%FileNameSize% - 4;0]
            ^!Set %FileNameNoExt%=^$StrDelete(^%FileNameWithExt%;^%DotIndex%;5)$

            ^!CmdShow Normal
            ^!Prompt ^%FileNameNoExt%

            ^!Command.com /c jcr.bat ^%FileNameNoExt%

            I had to do a few things in the clip to get rid of the full path,
            otherwise, the batch file would only get part of the path (The path in
            %1 would be delimited by the first space character encountered).

            Though the clip and batch file works, there is a limitation. Using the
            current clip, I cannot pass command line arguments to my java program when
            I run it (through the "java" interpreter). How do I prompt for text fields
            from the user and then enter the contents of the text fields into
            variables when I run the clip.

            Your suggestions are very much welcomed. Many thanks.

            Regards,
            Terence