Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[NTB] Re: Using clips to launch javac.exe to compile .java files

Expand Messages
  • Jody
    Hi Terrence and Sami, ... There is an option in some Dos windows to Close on Exit. I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but possibly that
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi Terrence and Sami,

      >>> ^$GetOutput("Param")$

      >You could make a batch file which executes javac.exe and
      >redirects output to a file, then you could read that file
      >in NoteTab. This is what I do in my JavaClips, a perhaps-
      >soon-to-be-released clip library for Java programmers.

      There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
      I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but
      possibly that could be unchecked if checked??? I tried to
      find the one that FTP.exe uses at one time to run in
      minimized, but had no luck.

      Happy NoteTabbin',
      Jody Adair
      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
    • Sami Jarvinen
      ... Can you expand on that? I m sorry but I have no idea what you re talking about =) ... Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
      • 0 Attachment
        >>>> ^$GetOutput("Param")$
        >> You could make a batch file which executes javac.exe and
        >> redirects output to a file, then you could read that file
        >> in NoteTab. This is what I do in my JavaClips, a perhaps-
        >> soon-to-be-released clip library for Java programmers.
        > There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
        > I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but
        > possibly that could be unchecked if checked??? I tried to
        > find the one that FTP.exe uses at one time to run in
        > minimized, but had no luck.

        Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking
        about =)
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
      • Jody
        Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence, ... Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,

          >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."

          >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
          >talking about =)

          Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
          open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
          file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
          stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.

          Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
          should for Terrence as well. :)

          >^!CmdShow Minimize
          >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat

          >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
          >DOS when finished.

          >^!CmdShow Minimize
          >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat

          >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
          >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
          >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
          >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
          >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.


          c ya,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Hi Jody, ... You can use the /c and /k switched with command.com as follows: ^!CmdShow Minimize ^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat Will run the named batch file
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 1998
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Jody,

            At 10:27 AM 12/1/98 -0600, you wrote:
            >Hi Terrence and Sami,
            >
            >>>> ^$GetOutput("Param")$
            >
            >>You could make a batch file which executes javac.exe and
            >>redirects output to a file, then you could read that file
            >>in NoteTab. This is what I do in my JavaClips, a perhaps-
            >>soon-to-be-released clip library for Java programmers.
            >
            >There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
            >I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but
            >possibly that could be unchecked if checked??? I tried to
            >find the one that FTP.exe uses at one time to run in
            >minimized, but had no luck.
            >
            >Happy NoteTabbin',
            >Jody Adair

            You can use the /c and /k switched with command.com as follows:

            ^!CmdShow Minimize
            ^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat

            Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit DOS when
            finished.

            ^!CmdShow Minimize
            ^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat

            Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will leave DOS
            active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by clicking on the
            task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow command, the DOS box will
            appear or a full-screen DOS window if that is how you quit it the last time
            you used DOS.

            Regards,

            Larry Thomas
            larryt@...
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
          • MKT Song
            Hello Jody, Sami and Larry, Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. The batch file thingi should work just fine for what I am doing. Regards, Terence ... MKT
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
            • 0 Attachment
              Hello Jody, Sami and Larry,

              Thanks for the suggestions and pointers. The batch file thingi should work
              just fine for what I am doing.

              Regards,
              Terence
              ----------------------
              MKT Song
              Centre for Communications Research
              University of Bristol
              Terence.Song@...

              On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Jody wrote:

              > Hi Larry, Sami, and Terrence,
              >
              > >>There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
              >
              > >Can you expand on that? I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're
              > >talking about =)
              >
              > Terrence originally asked the question of how to keep the Dos window
              > open after doing his JAVA thing at which time you suggested a .bat
              > file. I was mentioning the "Close on Exit" along with some other
              > stuff. Terrence says he doesn't see it on Win98, but did on 95.
              >
              > Anyhow, thatnks Larry - you answer helped me out and looks like it
              > should for Terrence as well. :)
              >
              > >^!CmdShow Minimize
              > >^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat
              >
              > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit
              > >DOS when finished.
              >
              > >^!CmdShow Minimize
              > >^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat
              >
              > >Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will
              > >leave DOS active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by
              > >clicking on the task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow
              > >command, the DOS box will appear or a full-screen DOS window if
              > >that is how you quit it the last time you used DOS.
              >
              >
              > c ya,
              > Jody Adair
              > Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23
              >
              > http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
              > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
              > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
              >
              >

              ------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
            • MKT Song
              Hi Larry and Sami, I have written the batch file and clip as you suggested. Here they are. The batch file: @echo off if exist %1.class del %1.class javac
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 1998
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Larry and Sami,

                I have written the batch file and clip as you suggested. Here they are.

                The batch file:

                @echo off
                if exist %1.class del %1.class
                javac %1.java
                pause

                if exist %1.class goto run
                it not exist %1.class goto stop

                :run
                java %1
                pause

                :stop

                And here is the clip:

                ^!Set %JFullFilePathWithExt%="^**"
                ^!Set %FileNameWithExt%=^$StrDelete(^%JFullFilePathWithExt%;1;46)$
                ^!Set %FileNameSize%=^$StrSize(^%FileNameWithExt%)$
                ^!Set %DotIndex%=^$[^%FileNameSize% - 4;0]
                ^!Set %FileNameNoExt%=^$StrDelete(^%FileNameWithExt%;^%DotIndex%;5)$

                ^!CmdShow Normal
                ^!Prompt ^%FileNameNoExt%

                ^!Command.com /c jcr.bat ^%FileNameNoExt%

                I had to do a few things in the clip to get rid of the full path,
                otherwise, the batch file would only get part of the path (The path in
                %1 would be delimited by the first space character encountered).

                Though the clip and batch file works, there is a limitation. Using the
                current clip, I cannot pass command line arguments to my java program when
                I run it (through the "java" interpreter). How do I prompt for text fields
                from the user and then enter the contents of the text fields into
                variables when I run the clip.

                Your suggestions are very much welcomed. Many thanks.

                Regards,
                Terence
                ----------------------
                MKT Song
                Centre for Communications Research
                University of Bristol
                Terence.Song@...

                On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Lawrence R. Thomas wrote:

                > Hi Jody,
                >
                > At 10:27 AM 12/1/98 -0600, you wrote:
                > >Hi Terrence and Sami,
                > >
                > >>>> ^$GetOutput("Param")$
                > >
                > >>You could make a batch file which executes javac.exe and
                > >>redirects output to a file, then you could read that file
                > >>in NoteTab. This is what I do in my JavaClips, a perhaps-
                > >>soon-to-be-released clip library for Java programmers.
                > >
                > >There is an option in some Dos windows to "Close on Exit."
                > >I have no clue how to get to the window that comes up, but
                > >possibly that could be unchecked if checked??? I tried to
                > >find the one that FTP.exe uses at one time to run in
                > >minimized, but had no luck.
                > >
                > >Happy NoteTabbin',
                > >Jody Adair
                >
                > You can use the /c and /k switched with command.com as follows:
                >
                > ^!CmdShow Minimize
                > ^!Command.com /c Mybatch.bat
                >
                > Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar and quit DOS when
                > finished.
                >
                > ^!CmdShow Minimize
                > ^!command.com /k Mybatch.bat
                >
                > Will run the named batch file minimized on the task bar but will leave DOS
                > active when finished. You can get to the DOS window by clicking on the
                > task bar button. If you do not use the CmdShow command, the DOS box will
                > appear or a full-screen DOS window if that is how you quit it the last time
                > you used DOS.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Larry Thomas
                > larryt@...
                > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
                >
                >

                ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Free Web-based e-mail groups -- http://www.eGroups.com
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.