[NTB] Suggestion, favorites

  • Sami Jarvinen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 1998
      The way the favorites system works is still not good.

      What's wrong with it?

      1) just try adding a directory which doesn't have any files in it ...
      2) commands are scattered across various menus/dialogs
      3) it's simply not intuitive

      My #1 complaint is that directories can't be directly added to favorites;
      you must first open a file and then select the "add path to favorites"
      command. And if the directory you wish to add doesn't contain any files ...

      Here's what I think would be the ideal structure of the Favorites menu:

      Favorites
      - organise favorites (1)
      - add active [document to favorites] (2)
      - add all [open documents to favorites] (2)
      <separator>
      + category 1 (3)
      - open all
      - close all
      <separator>
      - file1 (3)
      - file2 (3)
      + category 2 (3)
      - open all
      - close all
      <separator>
      - file3 (3)
      - file4 (3)
      + category N (3)

      Notes:
      (1) displays a dialog in which you can
      - add, remove and rename categories
      - add, remove and rename items in selected category
      (2) displays a dialog where you can select/create the target category
      (3) context menu contains the commands open, close, delete and rename

      Any comments are of course welcome.
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 1998
        Hi Sami,

        > The way the favorites system works is still not good.
        >
        > What's wrong with it?
        >
        > 1) just try adding a directory which doesn't have any files in it ...
        > 2) commands are scattered across various menus/dialogs
        > 3) it's simply not intuitive

        There are also other ways you can edit the Favorites. For example the Favorites
        dialog box that you can open through Shift+F2, or you can edit the Favorite
        categories directly in NoteTab as plain text files. These files are stored in
        the Favorites subdirectory and have the extension .FVR.

        Hope this helps to make it a little easier.

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        NoteTab v4.52 available from www.notetab.com and www.notetab.ch