[NTB] Re: Match Brackets (Ctrl+M)

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 1998
      Hi Ray,

      >Match Brackets does not seem to be working in NTS/NTL with 4.51.

      That's correct. The problem will be fixed in the next update v4.52...

      Regards,
      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
    • Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 1998
        On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:26:44 -0600, Ray wrote:
        >Match Brackets does not seem to be working in NTS/NTL with 4.51.

        Ray:

        Please verify this by trying it this way:

        Find a bracket character you'd like to match, and drag your highlight through
        that character, making sure to leave only that character highlighted. Then type
        Ctrl-M. If things work for you as they do for me, you'll then see everything
        highlighted between that character and its matching bracket -- but with both
        brackets themselves not highlighted.

        This has long been a bug or a poorly documented feature in NoteTab, but I've
        found that the above procedure always works.

        Does it work for you?

        Regards,
        Paul

      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 1998
          Hi Paul,

          >Find a bracket character you'd like to match, and drag your highlight
          through
          >that character, making sure to leave only that character highlighted. Then
          type
          >Ctrl-M. If things work for you as they do for me, you'll then see
          everything
          >highlighted between that character and its matching bracket -- but with
          both
          >brackets themselves not highlighted.

          Thanks for the tip. It did work, though just with the ending bracket. The
          brackets themselves were also highlighted.

          But guess what--Ctrl+M also works if the cursor is placed right before that
          ending bracket (no highlighting). This is still different from NTP, where
          you can have your cursor anywhere within the brackets.

          Cheers,
          Ray
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
            I seem to remember that there is now a way to jump to the next
            file in a directory without first making a text-file of the directory list
            and then jumping the cursor in the text. Did I imagine it?

            Thanks,
            David.
          • R.S.
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
              Hi David,

              At 11:45 AM 11/03/98 +0200, you wrote:

              >I seem to remember that there is now a way to jump to the next
              >file in a directory without first making a text-file of the directory list
              >and then jumping the cursor in the text. Did I imagine it?

              No, you're not having hallucinations. Here's what you are looking for:

              File

              //>> 08/04/98 17:45

              * Clip commands for retrieving disk file names:
              (See the example "Images to HTML" provided in the Samples.clb file.)

              ^$GetFileFirst(FilePath;FileSpecs[;SortingOrder])$
              Returns the first file in the list generated by the function. FilePath
              indicates the directory you want to search and FileSpecs the specs to match
              the files. FileSpecs can contain the standard wildcards * and ?, and you
              can specify several criteria separated by a semicolon (;). You must use
              double-quotes around the FileSpecs parameter if you specify several
              criteria. The third parameter, SortingOrder, is optional and can be used to
              specify a sorting order that is different from the default which is file
              names sorted in alphabetical order. You can use the following values for
              SortingOrder:
              UNSORTED: No sorting is used.
              NAME: Files are sorted by name.
              TYPE: Files are sorted by type (based on the extension).
              DATE: Files are sorted by date.
              SIZE: Files are sorted by size.
              Use the prefix "REV" to reverse the sorting order (e.g. REVSIZE starts with
              the largest file).

              ^$GetFileNext$
              Returns the next file name in the list. If there are no more files, then
              the result is an empty string.

              ^!CloseFileFind
              Optional command to close the list of files created with the GetFileFirst
              function. It is recommended to use this command when you have finished
              using the list of files as it releases system resources.

              Regards,

              RS
            • Jody Adair
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                Hi David,

                You wrote the following on 11:45 AM 11/3/98 +0200:

                >I seem to remember that there is now a way to jump to the
                >next file in a directory without first making a text-file
                >of the directory list and then jumping the cursor in the
                >text. Did I imagine it?

                I don't know about jumping the cursor, but perhaps you can
                do something with these:

                ^$GetFileFirst(FilePath;FileSpecs[;SortingOrder])$
                ^$GetFileNext$

                c ya,
                Jody
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                  Thanks, R.S. and Jody.
                  Jody, I've decided that instead of writing my own clips to do my
                  file management, however, I'll just fiddle with your fm.clb. Do you
                  want bug reports, suggestions, etc., or are you finished with it?
                  To the list, or to you?

                  Thanks,
                  David.
                • Jody Adair
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                    Hi David,

                    >I'll just fiddle with your fm.clb. Do you
                    >want bug reports, suggestions, etc., or are you finished with it?
                    >To the list, or to you?

                    I don't know if I have added to it or not. I will work on it
                    after Note Page Maker which I have only been able to dable with
                    lately, but I think it is ready less re-doing some help files.

                    You can send me bug reports and suggestions if you wish - directly:

                    mailto:KJB1611@...

                    Happy NoteTabbin',
                    Jody
                    http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                      The following don't seem to work on my system:
                      1. View File. This one doesn't seem to work when there's a
                      space in the path name of the object file. I get an error message
                      of the form "Error: Could not launch c:\program files\notetab
                      pro\documents\shoshana1.txt. Application not found or unknown
                      command."
                      2. Close Discard. Can't seem to get this one to work at all. I'm
                      running NTP 4.51/uc on Win95 in c:\program files\notetab pro\ .

                      Thanks,
                      David.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                        At 03:31 PM 11/3/98 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Hi David,
                        >
                        >>I'll just fiddle with your fm.clb. Do you
                        What is Note Page Maker?

                        Tom Thomas

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                          Hi Tom,

                          >>>I'll just fiddle with your fm.clb. Do you

                          >What is Note Page Maker?

                          It is a library I have been working on since version 3 of NoteTab.
                          It started off as HtmWiz.clb, but has over 200% stuff added to an
                          already large library. It is used to make web pages, frames, convert
                          text, frames, html, otl, etc. back and forth from each other with many
                          extras. I recen'y put in an updated clip I did that converts browser
                          bookmarks to a Clipbook Library and will add WS_Ftp support before I
                          upload it.

                          You or anybody else is more than welcome to test it out where it stands
                          now - I believe I have all the bugs out of it.

                          Just send me a note private e-mail: mailto:KJB1611@...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 3, 1998
                            Hi David,

                            >1. View File. This one doesn't seem to work when there's a
                            >space in the path name of the object file.

                            ^!Set %View%=^?[Enter number of file to view=]
                            ^!Find "^%View%. " WS
                            ^!Jump Select_End
                            ^!Select Eol
                            ^!"^$GetSelection$"

                            that should get it - notice I put the "delimeters" around the
                            ^$GetSelection$ - it is getting a path, so with the spaces it
                            has to have the quotes around the path.

                            >2. Close Discard.

                            That seems to be working for me - discard makes it so that
                            it closes and goes back to the last saved state that it was
                            in. Say you edit a file and then do a close discard - it
                            will close the file without saving the changes you made.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 13, 1998
                              I even tried downloading NTL4.52, and installing it in trial mode.
                              FM.clb still doesn't work. I'm wondering if the reason that yours
                              does work is that you're using it with I_View. Could you try
                              uninstalling I_View and using FM.clb with your default viewers to
                              see what happens?

                              Thanks,
                              David.
                            • Jody Adair
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 13, 1998
                                Hi David,

                                You wrote the following on 01:14 PM 11/13/98 +0200:

                                >I even tried downloading NTL4.52, and installing it in trial mode.
                                >FM.clb still doesn't work.

                                Oh, I thought you got I_View. It would be a lot of work for me
                                to reconfigure to my browser, but will do it when I get the
                                chance. You really ought to try out I_View though. I have PSP
                                5, Photo Shop, browsers, etc. and still will use I_View for quick
                                viewing becuase it is small and fast - does basic editing as well
                                and will do its own slide show - a real nice little piece of bits.

                                The link is in FM.

                                I'm not sure if that is the problem though.

                                Does:

                                ^!"path\to\image"
                                ^!path\to\image

                                open your images in a browser?

                              • djust@netvision.net.il
                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 25, 1998
                                  Is the final release of 4.52 out yet? Can't seem to find any
                                  references to it in my e-mail, but not seeing too many bug reports
                                  on the pre-release either.

                                  Thanks,
                                  David.
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 25, 1998
                                    Hi David,

                                    >Is the final release of 4.52 out yet? Can't seem to find any
                                    >references to it in my e-mail, but not seeing too many bug reports
                                    >on the pre-release either.

                                    Goto http://www.notetab.con/update.htm

                                    Fookes Software is pleased to announce the availability of NoteTab
                                    (Pro/Std/Light) version 4.52. The free NoteTab Light and trial version of
                                    NoteTab Pro can be downloaded from the NoteTab homepage at:
                                    http://www.notetab.com/
                                    or
                                    http://www.notetab.ch/

                                    Registered users of NoteTab 4.x can upgrade to this new release by visiting
                                    the following page:
                                    http://www.notetab.com/update.htm
                                    or
                                    http://www.notetab.ch/update.htm
                                    We no longer use patches as a method for upgrading. Fookes Software has
                                    developed a special program that makes upgrading extremely easy and
                                    reliable. You'll find more information about it on the Update page.

                                    Major changes in v4.52 include...
                                    * Insert HTML links and images by way of the File Open dialog box. If text
                                    is highlighted when the command is chosen, the tags wrap around it.
                                    * NoteTab Pro: color of <!-- --> comment tags is now adjustable through the
                                    Options dialog box on the Colors tab.
                                    * NoteTab Pro: supports WordStar key mapping.
                                    * Disk Search now accepts regular expressions too.
                                    * NoteTab now checks that the size of a newly saved file matches the size
                                    of the text. The reason behind this feature is that some people saving to
                                    certain servers sometimes experienced a loss of data (truncated files).
                                    Although this is not caused by NoteTab, this extra checking may help the
                                    eventual loss of data by warning you when the problem is detected.
                                    * Clip Language Enhancements:
                                    + New default label Skip_xx (xx represents the number of Clip lines to skip)
                                    + 10 new commands
                                    + 10 new functions
                                    * Other minor changes.

                                    Main Bug Fixes:
                                    * Sorting lines with case sensitive option failed. Problem fixed.
                                    * Strip HTML tags now handles <!-- --> comment tags properly.
                                    * Long commands failed to launch correctly from Clips. Problem fixed.
                                    * NoteTab Std/Light: bracket matching did not work properly. Problem fixed.
                                    * Windows NT: searching/replacing certain single characters caused an error
                                    in "ntdll.dll". Problem fixed.
                                    * Windows 98: NoteTab would not come forward when an associated file was
                                    opened through Explorer or other file management programs. This is due to
                                    the fact that Microsoft has basically disabled the function that programs
                                    use to come to the front. NoteTab 4.52 uses a workaround to solve this problem.
                                    * Internet Explorer sometimes failed to open a file sent by NoteTab.
                                    Although the problem is due to a bug in IE, NoteTab 4.52 uses a workaround
                                    that fixes it.
                                    * Other minor bug fixes.

                                    Changes in earlier versions are listed on the following page:
                                    http://www.notetab.com/new.htm
                                    or
                                    http://www.notetab.ch/new.htm

                                    We hope you will enjoy this new version.

                                    Sincerely,

                                    Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                                    Author of the award-winning NoteTab 4.5 text editors for Windows
                                    and the 1998 People's Choice Award