[NTB] Re: New products from Fookes Software...

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
      Hi Wren,

      At 11:20 AM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi Eric,
      >
      >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
      >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
      >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
      >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
      >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
      >screen saver first.)
      >
      >The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.
      >
      >As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
      >monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
      >you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
      >wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
      >I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
      >to long since my last visit.)
      >
      >Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
      >your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
      >like your photography.
      >
      >Best of Luck,
      > Wren

      You can download some pictures from Eric as I have from:

      http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/photos.htm

      If you have a suitable graphics editor such as Paint Shop Pro, you can
      remake these images into very nice wallpaper. I especially like
      suisse3t.jpg which I found at:

      http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/pictures/suisse3t.jpg

      Regards,

      Larry Thomas
      larryt@...

    • R.S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1998
        Hi Eric and Wren,

        At 11:20 AM 11/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

        Wren wrote:

        >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
        >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
        >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
        >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
        >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
        >screen saver first.)

        The pictures are fantastic, I agree with Wren. I was really impressed.

        As for the market, I think there are many people using screen savers and
        many who are willing to pay for it. To my utter amazement I've actually
        seen people coming into a computer store and ASKING (!) for screen savers.
        Several times. --- As Wren, I would like to know about your success, which
        I wish you have, in this enterprise.

        I personally don't use screen savers, I find them distracting and
        irritating. Last one I tried was the Maccaroni screen saver from Risoft,
        which was really cute; but, after a while, I was climbing up the walls!
        Long ago I settled for the blank screen saver, which has become my all time
        favorite. Besides, with an energy saving monitor, there's no material need
        for a screen saver. --- But the fact is that, anyway, most people USE
        screen savers, so don't loose hope! And, again, your photographs are really
        good.

        Regards,

        RS