[NTB] Re: Arrays?

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
      Hi David,

      At 08:02 AM 11/01/98 +0200, you wrote:

      >There was a guide somewhere to different methods for setting
      >up arrays in NTP. Anyone remember where?

      This is how it works:

      ;***********************
      H=Arrays

      ^!Set i=1

      ^!Set arr^%i%="One"
      ^!Inc i
      ^!Set arr^%i%="Two"
      ^!Inc i
      ^!Set arr^%i%="Three"

      ;ALWAYS SAVE INDEX TO LAST CREATED ITEM TO
      ;HAVE CONTROL OVER THE ARRAY:
      ^!Set iArrayTop=^%i%

      ^!Info First array item is = ^%arr1% ^p Second array item is = ^%arr2% ^p
      Third array item is = ^%arr3%

      ;YOU CAN ALSO USE A LOOP TO GET THE CONTENTS OF THE ARRAY:
      ^!SetWizardTitle Recursing array through a loop

      ^!Set i=1
      :loop
      ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next1
      ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
      ^!inc i
      ^!Goto loop

      :Next1
      ;NOW, AS CONSCIOUS PROGRAMMERS WE ARE, WE SHOULD
      ;CLEAN AFTER OURSELVES:
      ; (notice how I'm avoiding the sloppy use of
      ; the ^!ClearVariables command -- a programmer
      ; should always know his/her variables!)

      ;DELETE THE ARRAY:
      ^!Set i=1
      :loop2
      ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next2
      ^!ClearVariable %arr^%i%%
      ^!inc i
      ^!Goto loop2

      :Next2

      ;THIS WILL SHOW THE VARIABLES ARE CLEARED:
      ^!SetWizardTitle After Variables were cleared:
      ^!Set i=1
      :loop3
      ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% End
      ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
      ^!inc i
      ^!Goto loop3
      ;************************

      Regards,

      RS
    • Lawrence R. Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
        Hi Wren,

        At 11:20 AM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Eric,
        >
        >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
        >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
        >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
        >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
        >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
        >screen saver first.)
        >
        >The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.
        >
        >As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
        >monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
        >you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
        >wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
        >I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
        >to long since my last visit.)
        >
        >Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
        >your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
        >like your photography.
        >
        >Best of Luck,
        > Wren

        You can download some pictures from Eric as I have from:

        http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/photos.htm

        If you have a suitable graphics editor such as Paint Shop Pro, you can
        remake these images into very nice wallpaper. I especially like
        suisse3t.jpg which I found at:

        http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/pictures/suisse3t.jpg

        Regards,

        Larry Thomas
        larryt@...

      • R.S.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 1998
          Hi Eric and Wren,

          At 11:20 AM 11/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

          Wren wrote:

          >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
          >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
          >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
          >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
          >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
          >screen saver first.)

          The pictures are fantastic, I agree with Wren. I was really impressed.

          As for the market, I think there are many people using screen savers and
          many who are willing to pay for it. To my utter amazement I've actually
          seen people coming into a computer store and ASKING (!) for screen savers.
          Several times. --- As Wren, I would like to know about your success, which
          I wish you have, in this enterprise.

          I personally don't use screen savers, I find them distracting and
          irritating. Last one I tried was the Maccaroni screen saver from Risoft,
          which was really cute; but, after a while, I was climbing up the walls!
          Long ago I settled for the blank screen saver, which has become my all time
          favorite. Besides, with an energy saving monitor, there's no material need
          for a screen saver. --- But the fact is that, anyway, most people USE
          screen savers, so don't loose hope! And, again, your photographs are really
          good.

          Regards,

          RS