[NTB] Re: New products from Fookes Software...

  • Wren McMains
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
      Hi Eric,

      The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
      kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
      in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
      of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
      usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
      screen saver first.)

      The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.

      As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
      monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
      you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
      wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
      I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
      to long since my last visit.)

      Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
      your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
      like your photography.

      Best of Luck,
      Wren

      p.s.

      >There is one detail I haven't seen mentioned yet.
      >
      >It is: http://www.stardustsoftware.com/sstoolkit/

      I checked out one of the free ones from someone claiming to
      be in the photography business -- the quality of Eric's is
      SO much better. (A good camera, lens and scanner still
      gives better quality than the digital cameras.)
    • R.S.
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
        Hi David,

        At 08:02 AM 11/01/98 +0200, you wrote:

        >There was a guide somewhere to different methods for setting
        >up arrays in NTP. Anyone remember where?

        This is how it works:

        ;***********************
        H=Arrays

        ^!Set i=1

        ^!Set arr^%i%="One"
        ^!Inc i
        ^!Set arr^%i%="Two"
        ^!Inc i
        ^!Set arr^%i%="Three"

        ;ALWAYS SAVE INDEX TO LAST CREATED ITEM TO
        ;HAVE CONTROL OVER THE ARRAY:
        ^!Set iArrayTop=^%i%

        ^!Info First array item is = ^%arr1% ^p Second array item is = ^%arr2% ^p
        Third array item is = ^%arr3%

        ;YOU CAN ALSO USE A LOOP TO GET THE CONTENTS OF THE ARRAY:
        ^!SetWizardTitle Recursing array through a loop

        ^!Set i=1
        :loop
        ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next1
        ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
        ^!inc i
        ^!Goto loop

        :Next1
        ;NOW, AS CONSCIOUS PROGRAMMERS WE ARE, WE SHOULD
        ;CLEAN AFTER OURSELVES:
        ; (notice how I'm avoiding the sloppy use of
        ; the ^!ClearVariables command -- a programmer
        ; should always know his/her variables!)

        ;DELETE THE ARRAY:
        ^!Set i=1
        :loop2
        ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next2
        ^!ClearVariable %arr^%i%%
        ^!inc i
        ^!Goto loop2

        :Next2

        ;THIS WILL SHOW THE VARIABLES ARE CLEARED:
        ^!SetWizardTitle After Variables were cleared:
        ^!Set i=1
        :loop3
        ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% End
        ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
        ^!inc i
        ^!Goto loop3
        ;************************

        Regards,

        RS
      • Lawrence R. Thomas
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
          Hi Wren,

          At 11:20 AM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hi Eric,
          >
          >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
          >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
          >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
          >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
          >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
          >screen saver first.)
          >
          >The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.
          >
          >As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
          >monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
          >you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
          >wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
          >I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
          >to long since my last visit.)
          >
          >Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
          >your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
          >like your photography.
          >
          >Best of Luck,
          > Wren

          You can download some pictures from Eric as I have from:

          http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/photos.htm

          If you have a suitable graphics editor such as Paint Shop Pro, you can
          remake these images into very nice wallpaper. I especially like
          suisse3t.jpg which I found at:

          http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/pictures/suisse3t.jpg

          Regards,

          Larry Thomas
          larryt@...

        • R.S.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 1998
            Hi Eric and Wren,

            At 11:20 AM 11/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

            Wren wrote:

            >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
            >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
            >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
            >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
            >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
            >screen saver first.)

            The pictures are fantastic, I agree with Wren. I was really impressed.

            As for the market, I think there are many people using screen savers and
            many who are willing to pay for it. To my utter amazement I've actually
            seen people coming into a computer store and ASKING (!) for screen savers.
            Several times. --- As Wren, I would like to know about your success, which
            I wish you have, in this enterprise.

            I personally don't use screen savers, I find them distracting and
            irritating. Last one I tried was the Maccaroni screen saver from Risoft,
            which was really cute; but, after a while, I was climbing up the walls!
            Long ago I settled for the blank screen saver, which has become my all time
            favorite. Besides, with an energy saving monitor, there's no material need
            for a screen saver. --- But the fact is that, anyway, most people USE
            screen savers, so don't loose hope! And, again, your photographs are really
            good.

            Regards,

            RS