[NTB] Re: New products from Fookes Software...

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 1998
      Hi Eric,

      Georgeous photos! Thanks!

      When setup was done, it opened the Appearance tab of Display Properties.
      There is no screen saver option on my NT work machine. So I had to go find
      the SCRs, which were in WINNT\system32. Double-clicking on any of the five
      SCRs started the screen saver. Created shortcuts on my Start button.

      By chance I got to the settings when I set up the following clip, thinking
      that the screen savers themselves would come up:

      H="Fookes screen saver settings"
      ^!^?[(H=5)Which do you wish to change?==_Europe^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute
      Europe (sample).scr"|Finland^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Finland
      (sample).scr"|Norway^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Norway
      (sample).scr"|Scandinavia^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Scandinavia
      (sample).scr"|Switzerland^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Switzerland
      (sample).scr"]

      Except the Europe settings won't work. I tried checking the spelling,
      reinstalling, and even re-downloading.

      But I've got the other four settings changed to my liking. Never having been
      to Europe, I really appreciate the big beautiful pics on my 21" monitor!

      Thanks,
      Ray
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 1998
        Hi Eric,

        >Except the Europe settings won't work. I tried checking the spelling,
        >reinstalling, and even re-downloading.

        But they do work at home using the same clip.

        Cheers,
        Ray

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 1998
          Hi Ray,

          >Georgeous photos! Thanks!

          Great, I'm glad you like them!

          >When setup was done, it opened the Appearance tab of Display Properties.
          >There is no screen saver option on my NT work machine.

          Strange! Is this the case with all WinNT systems?

          >By chance I got to the settings when I set up the following clip, thinking
          >that the screen savers themselves would come up:
          >
          >H="Fookes screen saver settings"
          >^!^?[(H=5)Which do you wish to change?==_Europe^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute
          >Europe (sample).scr"|Finland^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Finland
          >(sample).scr"|Norway^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Norway
          >(sample).scr"|Scandinavia^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Scandinavia
          >(sample).scr"|Switzerland^="C:\WINNT\system32\Absolute Switzerland
          >(sample).scr"]

          Excellent tip!

          >Except the Europe settings won't work. I tried checking the spelling,
          >reinstalling, and even re-downloading.

          Some machines seem to have a mind of their own <g>.

          Regards,

          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
        • Sami Jarvinen
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 1998
            >> When setup was done, it opened the Appearance tab of Display Properties.
            >> There is no screen saver option on my NT work machine.
            > Strange! Is this the case with all WinNT systems?

            In Windows NT 4.0 the display properties dialog looks almost exactly the
            same as in Windows 95 - the screen saver tab is also there.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 1998
              There was a guide somewhere to different methods for setting
              up arrays in NTP. Anyone remember where?

              Thanks,
              David.
            • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
                djust@... wrote:
                >There was a guide somewhere to different methods for setting
                >up arrays in NTP. Anyone remember where?

                Clip programming is considered an advanced topic. To keep
                beginners from getting too overwhelmed on this list, most
                advanced topics are discussed on the NoteTab ADVANCED list.

                Followups to this message should be sent to the advanced
                list, rather than to here.

                --------

                The basic method for creating arrays is the create simple
                variables with similar names, such as

                ^!Set %Item1%="First Item"
                ^!Set %Item2%="Second Item"
                ^!Set %Item3%="Third Item"

                It is convenient that part of NoteTab variable name, can
                be the contents of another variable. Below %ItemNumber%
                is assigned the value 4, then the %ItemNumber% variable is
                used in forming the name of another variable: %Item4%

                ^!Set %ItemNumber%=4
                ^!Set %Item^%ItemNumber%%="Another Item"

                NoteTab parses this command in stages. In the first stage
                the ^%ItemNumber$ is replaced with a 4. Then the command
                effectively becomes: ^!Set %Item4%="Another Item". Pay
                careful attention to the placement of the % (percent) and
                ^ (circumflex) symbols.

                It is easy to use a loop to access each item in the array.

                ^!Set %ItemNumber%=1
                :OurLoop
                ^!Info Item Number ^%ItemNumber% is: ^%Item^%ItemNumber%%
                ^!Inc %ItemNumber%
                ^!If ^%ItemNumber% <= 4 OurLoop

                Several of my clips take advantage of array techniques.
                If you ask, I can send you some other examples.

                I'll note that above, where I have ^%ItemNumber%, you can
                have text strings (without spaces or special characters)
                instead of just numbers. For example:

                ^!Set %ItemMONDAY%="Something"
                ^!Set %ItemTUESDAY%="Something else"

                ^!Set %Day%="SATURDAY"
                ^!Info ^%Item^%Day%%

                Here is my demonstration clip.

                H="Wayne's Array Demo Clip version 5"
                ^!ClearVariables
                ^!Set %NumItems%=5
                :SetupQuery
                ^!ClearVariable %Query%
                ^!Append %Query%=%NewNum%=^?{Change the number of items=_No Change^=NC|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|100|200|400|800|1600|3200}

                ^!Set %Count%=0
                :LoopForInput
                ^!Inc %Count%
                ^!Set %Default1%=^$[^%Count%*2;0]
                ^!Append %QUERY%=; %Array^%Count%%=^?{Item#^%Count%=_^%Default1%|Notetab|Is|Awesome}
                ^!If ^%Count% < ^%Numitems% LoopForInput

                ^!SetWizardTitle Array Test 5
                ^!SetWizardLabel Set The Following ^%Numitems% Items.
                ^!Set ^%Query%

                ^!IfSame ^%Newnum% NC LoopForOutput
                ^!Set %Numitems%=^%Newnum%
                ^!Goto Setupquery

                :LoopForOutput
                ^!Set %Count%=0
                :LoopForOutput2
                ^!Inc %Count%
                ^!Set %Output%="^%Output% Item #^%Count% = ^%Array^%Count%%^P"
                ^!Iftrue ^%Count%<^%Numitems% LoopForOutput2

                ; Display Output All At Once
                ^!Info=[L]^%Output%

                --
                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                ICQ: 15117288
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
                  Hi Eric,

                  The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
                  kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
                  in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
                  of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
                  usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
                  screen saver first.)

                  The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.

                  As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
                  monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
                  you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
                  wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
                  I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
                  to long since my last visit.)

                  Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
                  your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
                  like your photography.

                  Best of Luck,
                  Wren

                  p.s.

                  >There is one detail I haven't seen mentioned yet.
                  >
                  >It is: http://www.stardustsoftware.com/sstoolkit/

                  I checked out one of the free ones from someone claiming to
                  be in the photography business -- the quality of Eric's is
                  SO much better. (A good camera, lens and scanner still
                  gives better quality than the digital cameras.)
                • R.S.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
                    Hi David,

                    At 08:02 AM 11/01/98 +0200, you wrote:

                    >There was a guide somewhere to different methods for setting
                    >up arrays in NTP. Anyone remember where?

                    This is how it works:

                    ;***********************
                    H=Arrays

                    ^!Set i=1

                    ^!Set arr^%i%="One"
                    ^!Inc i
                    ^!Set arr^%i%="Two"
                    ^!Inc i
                    ^!Set arr^%i%="Three"

                    ;ALWAYS SAVE INDEX TO LAST CREATED ITEM TO
                    ;HAVE CONTROL OVER THE ARRAY:
                    ^!Set iArrayTop=^%i%

                    ^!Info First array item is = ^%arr1% ^p Second array item is = ^%arr2% ^p
                    Third array item is = ^%arr3%

                    ;YOU CAN ALSO USE A LOOP TO GET THE CONTENTS OF THE ARRAY:
                    ^!SetWizardTitle Recursing array through a loop

                    ^!Set i=1
                    :loop
                    ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next1
                    ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
                    ^!inc i
                    ^!Goto loop

                    :Next1
                    ;NOW, AS CONSCIOUS PROGRAMMERS WE ARE, WE SHOULD
                    ;CLEAN AFTER OURSELVES:
                    ; (notice how I'm avoiding the sloppy use of
                    ; the ^!ClearVariables command -- a programmer
                    ; should always know his/her variables!)

                    ;DELETE THE ARRAY:
                    ^!Set i=1
                    :loop2
                    ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% Next2
                    ^!ClearVariable %arr^%i%%
                    ^!inc i
                    ^!Goto loop2

                    :Next2

                    ;THIS WILL SHOW THE VARIABLES ARE CLEARED:
                    ^!SetWizardTitle After Variables were cleared:
                    ^!Set i=1
                    :loop3
                    ^!If ^%i%>^%iArrayTop% End
                    ^!Info Array item ^%i% is = ^%arr^%i%%
                    ^!inc i
                    ^!Goto loop3
                    ;************************

                    Regards,

                    RS
                  • Lawrence R. Thomas
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 1998
                      Hi Wren,

                      At 11:20 AM 11/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Hi Eric,
                      >
                      >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
                      >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
                      >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
                      >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
                      >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
                      >screen saver first.)
                      >
                      >The free ones are fine, the advertising is not too obnoxious.
                      >
                      >As you say they display VERY well at high-res on a 21"
                      >monitor--so nice I wanted to use some as backgrounds, but
                      >you seem to make that impossible ;-) After finding that, I
                      >wasn't even willing to take the time to download a second --
                      >I went for CH first, one of my favorite countries (been far
                      >to long since my last visit.)
                      >
                      >Any chance of posting a seasonal .jpg of the month on one of
                      >your pages that would work well as a background -- I really
                      >like your photography.
                      >
                      >Best of Luck,
                      > Wren

                      You can download some pictures from Eric as I have from:

                      http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/photos.htm

                      If you have a suitable graphics editor such as Paint Shop Pro, you can
                      remake these images into very nice wallpaper. I especially like
                      suisse3t.jpg which I found at:

                      http://www.unige.ch/sciences/terre/geologie/fookes/pictures/suisse3t.jpg

                      Regards,

                      Larry Thomas
                      larryt@...

                    • R.S.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 1998
                        Hi Eric and Wren,

                        At 11:20 AM 11/01/98 -0500, you wrote:

                        Wren wrote:

                        >The pictures are beautiful. I'll be curious to hear what
                        >kind of a market there is for these. I wouldn't pay for one
                        >in its current form, but I admit I'm not a screen saver kind
                        >of person (ever since the advent of energy saving monitors I
                        >usually just turn off my monitor without ever going to a
                        >screen saver first.)

                        The pictures are fantastic, I agree with Wren. I was really impressed.

                        As for the market, I think there are many people using screen savers and
                        many who are willing to pay for it. To my utter amazement I've actually
                        seen people coming into a computer store and ASKING (!) for screen savers.
                        Several times. --- As Wren, I would like to know about your success, which
                        I wish you have, in this enterprise.

                        I personally don't use screen savers, I find them distracting and
                        irritating. Last one I tried was the Maccaroni screen saver from Risoft,
                        which was really cute; but, after a while, I was climbing up the walls!
                        Long ago I settled for the blank screen saver, which has become my all time
                        favorite. Besides, with an energy saving monitor, there's no material need
                        for a screen saver. --- But the fact is that, anyway, most people USE
                        screen savers, so don't loose hope! And, again, your photographs are really
                        good.

                        Regards,

                        RS