[NTB] Re: Winzip Command Line

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
      Hi Nicole,

      Some days ago you said it wasn't necessary to have a special patch to use
      the command line with winzip. And I'd agree with you. For centuries I've
      been using Winzip from my batches.

      Today, though, I received an email from Winzip announcing the Service
      Release 1 for version 7.0, and there, among a lot of other stuff, it says:

      >Beta versions of upcoming software are available from our web site:
      >
      >* Many users have asked us for a command line version of WinZip that
      >could be used from the MS-DOS command prompt or from within batch files.
      >A beta test version of the WinZip Command Line Support Add-On, free to
      >users of WinZip 7.0, is available from the web page
      >
      > http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm

      I'm puzzled.

      Well, I just downloaded it to take a look.
      It contains the files Wzzip.exe and Wzunzip.exe, which I already had in my
      computer, and a Help file for the Command Line, which is new, called
      wzcline.hlp.

      The files in my system have the date August 3, while the new ones are
      August 31. So maybe they were placed there by the Winzip betas of version 7.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,

      RS
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
        > Some days ago you said it wasn't necessary to have a special patch to use
        > the command line with winzip. And I'd agree with you. For centuries I've
        > been using Winzip from my batches.
        >
        > Today, though, I received an email from Winzip announcing the Service
        > Release 1 for version 7.0, and there, among a lot of other stuff, it says:
        >
        > >Beta versions of upcoming software are available from our web site:
        > >
        > >* Many users have asked us for a command line version of WinZip that
        > >could be used from the MS-DOS command prompt or from within batch files.
        > >A beta test version of the WinZip Command Line Support Add-On, free to
        > >users of WinZip 7.0, is available from the web page
        > >
        > > http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm
        >

        > I'm puzzled.
        Me too. I've been using Winzip from clb-s. I'm also puzzled as to
        why I got no information from them as to 7.0 since the beta. Are
        you saying that there is now both a release version of 7.0 and a
        service release for it?

        Thanks,
        David.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
          Hi David,

          At 10:22 PM 10/28/98 +0200, you wrote:

          >> I'm puzzled.

          >Me too. I've been using Winzip from clb-s. I'm also puzzled as to
          >why I got no information from them as to 7.0 since the beta.

          Make sure you're subscribed to their mailing lists. I didn't know I was. To
          play it safe, I've just subscribed/re-subscribed to both lists: the Beta
          and the Regular. -:)

          >Are
          >you saying that there is now both a release version of 7.0 and a
          >service release for it?

          Looks like the Service Release is the whole program, because it is 900 and
          some Kb.

          Make sure to get the Command Line beta, too, just in case.

          Regards,

          RS
        • Lloyd Shonyo
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
            Hi

            Here are some information from the WinZip email

            http://www.winzip.com/wz70sr1.htm

            If you already have WinZip 7.0 and are not sure if you have the revised
            version, you can start WinZip and open the "About" box. If SR-1 is
            installed, the line with version information will start out with the
            following text:

            WinZip version 7.0 SR-1

            --- More Software Coming ---

            Beta versions of upcoming software are available from our web site:

            * Many users have asked us for a command line version of WinZip that
            could be used from the MS-DOS command prompt or from within batch files.
            A beta test version of the WinZip Command Line Support Add-On, free to
            users of WinZip 7.0, is available from the web page

            http://www.winzip.com/wzcline.htm

            Lloyd

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 28, 1998
              > >Make sure to get the Command Line beta, too, just in case.
              I installed 7.0SR1 without the "command line beta" and ran a clip
              which uses a command line to call Winzip for unzipping. Seems
              to me to work just fine.
              Maybe they mean that they are adding some command line
              switches or parameters which were not available previously.
              Have you sent them your question about this?

              Thanks,
              David.