[NTB] Re: Favorites

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
      Hi Sami,

      >As I mentioned earlier (NoteTab advanced list), the way NoteTab's
      >Favorites menu works is less than ideal. Instead of going into details
      >about the downsides of the current implementation, I'll describe an
      >alternative which I think might be better. Any suggestions, comments and
      >criticism is very much appreciated.

      Actually, I have spent a good deal of time today improving the Favorites
      menu. The main changes you will find in the upcoming update is that the
      Categories listing now branch on to display submenus with their file
      listing. When you pick a file from one of these categories, the category
      becomes the default list (as it is in the current version), and the chosen
      file(s)/directory is opened. Each of these submenus also include a command
      to open all files.

      I hope these changes will make the Favorites feature more appealing to
      NoteTab users.

      Regards,

      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
    • R.S.
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
        Hi Eric,

        At 09:38 PM 10/02/98 +0200, you wrote:

        >Actually, I have spent a good deal of time today improving the Favorites
        >menu. The main changes you will find in the upcoming update is that the
        >Categories listing now branch on to display submenus with their file
        >listing. When you pick a file from one of these categories, the category
        >becomes the default list (as it is in the current version), and the chosen
        >file(s)/directory is opened. Each of these submenus also include a command
        >to open all files.
        >
        >I hope these changes will make the Favorites feature more appealing to
        >NoteTab users.

        They will, for sure. It is certainly a big improvement. But I still think
        the Categories should be a separate menu.

        Here are some reasons:

        A) EASIER ACCESSIBILITY.- We often need to access a file in a different
        Category. The procedure now will be:

        1. Click on Favorites
        2. Go down (with the mouse) to Categories
        3. Go to the Left
        4. Go down to the desired Category
        5. Go to the right to choose a file

        While with a Categories menu that would be shortened to:

        1. Click on Categories
        2. Go down to the desired Category
        3. Go to the right to choose a file

        B) CONVENIENCE.- The idea should be to keep the Favorites menu independent
        from the Category menu. In this last one, you access files from other
        Categories, without switching to another Category.

        I don't believe to be the only one that has a "favorite" Favorites category
        that's open most of the time. The other Categories are accessed
        occasionally when the need arises. So the real CONVENIENCE is to keep this
        principal Category open all the time. We don't want to be switched to
        another Category just because we accessed a file in this second one. We
        want the Favorites to keep listing our preferred Category.

        And this is the real advantage of accessing the Categories as submenus:
        that you don't need to switch Categories.

        PLEASE, do not include an undesired auto-switch in it!

        Regards,

        RS

      • R.S.
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi Sami,

          At 11:55 PM 10/02/98 +0200, you wrote:
          >> That's somewhat harder to implement because Favorite items
          >> can contain wild cards, or references to other Favorite lists. But it
          >is
          >> something I could try to add to the next major release if there is
          >enough
          >> interest for such a feature.
          >
          >At least I think it's very useful. I often have a large project
          >(category) open and some files which are not part of the project. If I
          >want to close the project but not the other files... you see?

          Have you checked Wayne's Project Manager? It gives you greater flexibility
          for this.

          http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/notetab.htm

          Regards,

          RS

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi Sami,

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
              Hi Sami;

              Your comments are of interest since I am looking at methods to
              organize groups of files. Does the following text diagram
              describe what you have in mind?

              Favorites (selected)

              Catagory 1
              Catagory 2-----File a (Catagory 2 selected, typical)
              Catagory 3 File b
              Catagory 4 File c-----Open (File c selected, typical)
              etc. File d Cut
              etc. Copy
              Add Delete
              AddAll
              DeleteAll

              If I understand correctly,
              Favorites would correlate to a directory.
              Each catagory would correlate to a folder in the directory.
              Each folder would contain the files showen in that sub-menu.

              Comments welcome, Len

              At 09:57 PM 10/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
              * As I mentioned earlier (NoteTab advanced list), the way NoteTab's
              * Favorites menu works is less than ideal.
              * Instead of going into details about the downsides of the current
              * implementation, I'll describe an alternative which I think might
              * be better.
              * Any suggestions, comments and criticism is very much appreciated.

              * The "categories" would be subdirectories in the Favorites
              * directory.
              * These directories would contain shortcuts (!) to the documents
              * contained in the category.
              * The Favorites menu would contain submenus for each category
              * (directory),
              * and these submenus would show the documents in the category
              * (shortcuts in the directory).
              * The submenus would also contain the following commands:
              * open all documents,
              * close all documents.
              * Clicking on a document in a category listing would of course open
              * that file.
              * The categories and files on the menu would also have a popup menu
              * (activated by RMB) with the following commands:
              * open, cut, copy, delete.

              * The popup menu of the file tabs would contain these commands:
              * add document to favorites,
              * add all documents to favorites.
              * When these commands are selected, a new dialog would be presented
              * where the destination category can be selected.

            • Sami Jarvinen
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                > Actually, I have spent a good deal of time today improving the
                Favorites
                > menu.

                Fantastic!

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                  Hi Sami,

                  >> That's somewhat harder to implement because Favorite items
                  >> can contain wild cards, or references to other Favorite lists. But it
                  >is
                  >> something I could try to add to the next major release if there is
                  >enough
                  >> interest for such a feature.
                  >
                  >At least I think it's very useful. I often have a large project
                  >(category) open and some files which are not part of the project. If I
                  >want to close the project but not the other files... you see?

                  I sometimes find myself in that situation, particularly when I want to make
                  changes across all my web pages. All I do is open a second instance of
                  NoteTab and load the Favorites files. When I do this, I know I can safely
                  to global search/replace through all open documents without risking to
                  change unrelated files. At least this method works well for me.

                  Regards,

                  Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                    Hi R.S.,

                    >And this is the real advantage of accessing the Categories as submenus:
                    >that you don't need to switch Categories.
                    >
                    >PLEASE, do not include an undesired auto-switch in it!

                    I think the preference is very personal. I'm sure many user would actually
                    want the auto-switch, and many others would agree with you. I could always
                    add another option in NoteTab, but so many people are already complaining
                    that there are too many options... It's impossible to please everybody :-(

                    BTW, have you tried your QuickSort program with the latest pre-release
                    update? Is it faster now?

                    Regards,

                    Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                  • Jody Adair
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                      Hi Sami,

                      >The "categories" would be subdirectories in the Favorites directory.
                      >These directories would contain shortcuts (!) to the documents contained
                      >in the category. The Favorites menu would contain submenus for each
                      >category (directory), and these submenus would show the documents in the
                      >category (shortcuts in the directory).

                      I would think that a pull down list with multiple pull down
                      lists from each of them would be nice like some Windows
                      programs have and the browsers.

                      Have you tried making a Favorites directory called say "Directory?" :)

                      Directory (Category)
                      :Category 1 (Points to Category 1)
                      :Category 2 (Points to Category 2)
                      :Category 3 (Points to Category 3)

                      Those point to other Favorites, or Categories I believe is
                      the correct term. The colon tells NoteTab to look for that
                      Category.

                      Then in each of your Categories you have the files you want
                      to open which can be a whole folder (Path\*.*), file type(s)
                      (Path\*.*htm*), group of files, or another file type(s).

                    • Sami Jarvinen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                          > Your comments are of interest since I am looking at methods to
                          > organize groups of files. Does the following text diagram
                          > describe what you have in mind?
                          >
                          > Favorites (selected)
                          >
                          > Catagory 1
                          > Catagory 2-----File a (Catagory 2 selected, typical)
                          > Catagory 3 File b
                          > Catagory 4 File c-----Open (File c selected, typical)
                          > etc. File d Cut
                          > etc. Copy
                          > Add Delete
                          > AddAll
                          > DeleteAll

                          Not exactly but close enough.

                          > If I understand correctly,
                          > Favorites would correlate to a directory.
                          > Each catagory would correlate to a folder in the directory.
                          > Each folder would contain the files showen in that sub-menu.

                          Correct, except that "directory" = "folder" :)

                        • Sami Jarvinen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                            >> At least I think it's very useful. I often have a large project
                            >> (category) open and some files which are not part of the project. If
                            >> want to close the project but not the other files... you see?
                            > Have you checked Wayne's Project Manager? It gives you
                            > greater flexibility
                            > for this.
                            > http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/notetab.htm

                            I've tried it. The problem is that it's too complicated, the GUI is...
                            well, you simply can't do a good GUI with clips.

                          • R.S.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                              Hi Sami,

                              At 01:15 AM 10/03/98 +0200, you wrote:

                              >>> I often have a large project
                              >>> (category) open and some files which are not part of the project. If I
                              >>> want to close the project but not the other files... you see?

                              >> Have you checked Wayne's Project Manager? It gives you
                              >> greater flexibility
                              >> for this.
                              >> http://www2.localaccess.com/waynemv/notetab.htm

                              >I've tried it. The problem is that it's too complicated, the GUI is...
                              >well, you simply can't do a good GUI with clips.

                              I wonder if we are speaking of the same thing. I'm the first one to abhor
                              complicated programs, and I have very little patience for those (the
                              average is five minutes). Project Manager seems very simple and intuitive
                              to me. Its interface, which in the first version was unfriendly and
                              confusing, has improved radically in version 2.22. And I really doubt it
                              can get much better.

                              As for your affirmation that you "can't do a good GUI with clips", I have
                              to disagree. Actually, this is the best Interface I've seen in a Clip.

                              Regards,

                              RS

                            • R.S.
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 2, 1998
                                Hi Eric,

                                At 11:18 PM 10/02/98 +0200, you wrote:

                                1)
                                >>And this is the real advantage of accessing the Categories as submenus:
                                >>that you don't need to switch Categories.
                                >>
                                >>PLEASE, do not include an undesired auto-switch in it!
                                >
                                >I think the preference is very personal. I'm sure many user would actually
                                >want the auto-switch, and many others would agree with you. I could always
                                >add another option in NoteTab, but so many people are already complaining
                                >that there are too many options... It's impossible to please everybody :-(

                                By all means, add an option; and have us all happy. -:)

                                What about the separate menu for Categories?

                                [ Let me add, lest someone sees faults in what I'm asking for, that there
                                should always be an option, either in the Favorites or in the Category
                                menu, for when you want to shift the Category that is displayed in Favorites].

                                _______________

                                2)
                                >BTW, have you tried your QuickSort program with the latest pre-release
                                >update? Is it faster now?

                                Wow! I just tried it, and it took an staggering two and a half seconds!!!

                                Here's the comparison chart:

                                Qsort.exe:
                                ---------
                                NTP4.5 : 25"
                                NTP4.51a : 26"
                                NTP4.51b : 2" - 3"

                                Congratulations! And thanks a lot!!

                                Regards,

                                RS

                              • Sami Jarvinen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 3, 1998
                                  > As for your affirmation that you "can't do a good GUI with clips", I
                                  have
                                  > to disagree.

                                  When you're limited to comboboxes and lists, it simply can't be very
                                  good.

                                  > Actually, this is the best Interface I've seen in a Clip.

                                  Seems to me we're not talking about the same thing here. You seem to be
                                  comparing Project Manager's GUI with other clips' GUIs, while I'm
                                  talking about the clip language's GUI design capabilities in general.

                                  What I'm trying to say is that Project Manager's GUI may be as good as
                                  it can be, but it still isn't good because of the limitations of the
                                  clip language.