[NTB] Re: BUG REPORT: NTP4.5b still cannot launch .lnk files as 4.5 can.

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
      Hi Larry,

      >The subject line says it.

      Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
      launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks. Just tried now and my fix seems
      to work fine.

      Regards,

      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
    • Jody Adair
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
        Hi Eric and Larry,

        >Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
        >launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks.

        ^!J:\AltDora\AltDora.lnk

        That works fine for me. It uses Eudora.exe and other files
        needed, but has its own mailboxes, users, ISPs, etc.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
        clean-funnies-subscribe@...

      • Lawrence R. Thomas
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi Eric,

          At 06:14 PM 10/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >>The subject line says it.
          >
          >Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
          >launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks. Just tried now and my fix seems
          >to work fine.

          I created the following link from the start menu:

          ^!C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk

          When I try to launch this clip, I get the error message:

          Error: could not launch "C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk".
          Application not found or unknown command.

          The file version I am using is:

          NTP45b.exe 1,484,800 10-01-98 2:16p

          I have done further testing and I created the following clips which work!

          ^!C:\WIN95\Desktop\Windows Explorer.lnk
          ^!C:\WIN95\STARTM~1\OPENOF~1.LNK (This is the 8.3 MS-DOS name for
          ^!C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk above. It works and the
          long file name does not. This malfunction may be a problem in seeing long
          file names. In other words keep the names short or use MS-DOS 8.3 names in
          my clips? Apparently.

          Regards,

          Larry Thomas
          larryt@...

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi Sami,

            >Come to think of it, I wonder why external commands can be executed this
            >way. I imagine it would be (slightly?) faster if there were only clip
            >commands to execute external commands - that way you wouldn't have to
            >check if it's a clip command or an external command. I wonder if that
            >made any sense to anyone... if not, tell me and I'll try again :)

            The reason is backward compatibility. The "^!" command to launch programs
            was one of the first commands available when the Clipbook was released. At
            that time, there were no other commands. Of course things have changed a
            lot since then, but at least NoteTab's Clip language is 95% backward
            compatible (with the exception of changes made during the beta period). Not
            too bad, don't you think <g>?!

            >I was just working on a clip which compiles a single HTML file from
            >Internet Explorer's favorites. I noticed a few things:
            >
            >1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain skandinavian characters
            > (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
            > scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)

            Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open dialog box in NoteTab?

            >2) ^!appendToFile doesn't support tokens (^p ^t)
            >
            >If you people are interested, I'll post the clip to this list once it's
            >finished (soon).

            Either use the ^$RemoveTokens("Str")$ function or use the predefined
            variables ^%NL% and ^%TAB%.

            Regards,

            Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
          • Sami Jarvinen
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
              > I have done further testing and I created the following clips
              > which work!
              > ^!C:\WIN95\Desktop\Windows Explorer.lnk

              Has this worked before? I think it only logical that it doesn't. Why
              should NoteTab start guessing what part of the string is the file name
              and where the command line parameters begin? You must use quotes to
              separate the file name from the parameters if the file name contains
              spaces.

              Come to think of it, I wonder why external commands can be executed this
              way. I imagine it would be (slightly?) faster if there were only clip
              commands to execute external commands - that way you wouldn't have to
              check if it's a clip command or an external command. I wonder if that
              made any sense to anyone... if not, tell me and I'll try again :)

              Btw, talking about bugs:

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
                >> 1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain
                >> skandinavian characters
                >> (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
                >> scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)
                > Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open
                > dialog box in NoteTab?

                Yes.

                > >2) ^!appendToFile doesn't support tokens (^p ^t)
                > Either use the ^$RemoveTokens("Str")$ function or use the predefined
                > variables ^%NL% and ^%TAB%.

                Thanks.

              • Eric G.V. Fookes
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 1998
                  Hi Sami,

                  >>> 1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain=
                  >>> skandinavian characters
                  >>> (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
                  >>> scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)
                  >> Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open=
                  >> dialog box in NoteTab?
                  >
                  >Yes.

                  I have tested this using various accented characters (=�=�=�=�) in the f=ile
                  name and it works all the time on my system!?! I can't figure out why it
                  won't work on your computer.

                  Regards,

                  Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                • Nicole Simon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 1998
                    Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:
                    > I have tested this using various accented characters (==E0==E4==E9==F8) in the f==
                    > ile
                    > name and it works all the time on my system!?! I can't figure out why it
                    > won't work on your computer.

                    *grin* it was hard to find a directory and file with umlauts in it (usually
                    it's always anger with such names)

                    Notetab did
                    ^!open D:\temp\�-ei\neue HP-Spr�che.txt

                    without a problem - even without "" around it.

                    Nicole

                    --
                    �.. it HAS changed my life. As long as my wife (also a Pilot user) writes
                    down something in my datebook I don't forget it! Im such a good husband!�