[NTB] BUG REPORT: NTP4.5b still cannot launch .lnk files as 4.5 can.

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
      Hi All,

      The subject line says it.

      Regards,

      Larry Thomas
      larryt@...

      Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he/she is
      supposed to be doing.

    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
        Hi Larry,

        >The subject line says it.

        Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
        launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks. Just tried now and my fix seems
        to work fine.

        Regards,

        Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
      • Jody Adair
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi Eric and Larry,

          >Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
          >launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks.

          ^!J:\AltDora\AltDora.lnk

          That works fine for me. It uses Eudora.exe and other files
          needed, but has its own mailboxes, users, ISPs, etc.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611
          clean-funnies-subscribe@...

        • Lawrence R. Thomas
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi Eric,

            At 06:14 PM 10/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
            >Hi Larry,
            >
            >>The subject line says it.
            >
            >Could you explain a bit more? I have made changes to the way .lnk files are
            >launched from the Clipbook or Hyperlinks. Just tried now and my fix seems
            >to work fine.

            I created the following link from the start menu:

            ^!C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk

            When I try to launch this clip, I get the error message:

            Error: could not launch "C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk".
            Application not found or unknown command.

            The file version I am using is:

            NTP45b.exe 1,484,800 10-01-98 2:16p

            I have done further testing and I created the following clips which work!

            ^!C:\WIN95\Desktop\Windows Explorer.lnk
            ^!C:\WIN95\STARTM~1\OPENOF~1.LNK (This is the 8.3 MS-DOS name for
            ^!C:\WIN95\Start Menu\Open Office Document.lnk above. It works and the
            long file name does not. This malfunction may be a problem in seeing long
            file names. In other words keep the names short or use MS-DOS 8.3 names in
            my clips? Apparently.

            Regards,

            Larry Thomas
            larryt@...

          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
              Hi Sami,

              >Come to think of it, I wonder why external commands can be executed this
              >way. I imagine it would be (slightly?) faster if there were only clip
              >commands to execute external commands - that way you wouldn't have to
              >check if it's a clip command or an external command. I wonder if that
              >made any sense to anyone... if not, tell me and I'll try again :)

              The reason is backward compatibility. The "^!" command to launch programs
              was one of the first commands available when the Clipbook was released. At
              that time, there were no other commands. Of course things have changed a
              lot since then, but at least NoteTab's Clip language is 95% backward
              compatible (with the exception of changes made during the beta period). Not
              too bad, don't you think <g>?!

              >I was just working on a clip which compiles a single HTML file from
              >Internet Explorer's favorites. I noticed a few things:
              >
              >1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain skandinavian characters
              > (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
              > scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)

              Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open dialog box in NoteTab?

              >2) ^!appendToFile doesn't support tokens (^p ^t)
              >
              >If you people are interested, I'll post the clip to this list once it's
              >finished (soon).

              Either use the ^$RemoveTokens("Str")$ function or use the predefined
              variables ^%NL% and ^%TAB%.

              Regards,

              Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
            • Sami Jarvinen
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
                > I have done further testing and I created the following clips
                > which work!
                > ^!C:\WIN95\Desktop\Windows Explorer.lnk

                Has this worked before? I think it only logical that it doesn't. Why
                should NoteTab start guessing what part of the string is the file name
                and where the command line parameters begin? You must use quotes to
                separate the file name from the parameters if the file name contains
                spaces.

                Come to think of it, I wonder why external commands can be executed this
                way. I imagine it would be (slightly?) faster if there were only clip
                commands to execute external commands - that way you wouldn't have to
                check if it's a clip command or an external command. I wonder if that
                made any sense to anyone... if not, tell me and I'll try again :)

                Btw, talking about bugs:

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 1998
                  >> 1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain
                  >> skandinavian characters
                  >> (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
                  >> scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)
                  > Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open
                  > dialog box in NoteTab?

                  Yes.

                  > >2) ^!appendToFile doesn't support tokens (^p ^t)
                  > Either use the ^$RemoveTokens("Str")$ function or use the predefined
                  > variables ^%NL% and ^%TAB%.

                  Thanks.

                • Eric G.V. Fookes
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 1998
                    Hi Sami,

                    >>> 1) ^!open stumbles upon file names which contain=
                    >>> skandinavian characters
                    >>> (it complained that it can't open the file, and when I removed the
                    >>> scandinavian characters, it worked just fine)
                    >> Strange! Can you open these files through the File Open=
                    >> dialog box in NoteTab?
                    >
                    >Yes.

                    I have tested this using various accented characters (=�=�=�=�) in the f=ile
                    name and it works all the time on my system!?! I can't figure out why it
                    won't work on your computer.

                    Regards,

                    Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                  • Nicole Simon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 1998
                      Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:
                      > I have tested this using various accented characters (==E0==E4==E9==F8) in the f==
                      > ile
                      > name and it works all the time on my system!?! I can't figure out why it
                      > won't work on your computer.

                      *grin* it was hard to find a directory and file with umlauts in it (usually
                      it's always anger with such names)

                      Notetab did
                      ^!open D:\temp\�-ei\neue HP-Spr�che.txt

                      without a problem - even without "" around it.

                      Nicole

                      --
                      �.. it HAS changed my life. As long as my wife (also a Pilot user) writes
                      down something in my datebook I don't forget it! Im such a good husband!�