[NTB] Re: Help Index error

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
      Hi Len,

      >When I select Menu Bar/Help/Index/SomeItem
      >the item displsyed is usually the one before the selected item.
      >I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function
      >correctly.

      I think the problem is caused by the file "NoteTab.gid". It is
      automatically created by Windows when you open the Help file for the first
      time. The problem is that Windows does not check if the Help file has been
      updated so it continues to use the old .gid file instead of regenerating
      it. Try deleting the .gid file and open the Help file to see if that solved
      the problem.

      Regards,

      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
        Hi Eric, All;

        >>When I select Menu Bar/Help/Index/SomeItem >>the item displsyed is usually the one before the selected item. >>I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function >>correctly.
        >I think the problem is caused by the file "NoteTab.gid". It is >automatically created by Windows when you open the Help file for the
        first >time. The problem is that Windows does not check if the Help
        file has been >updated so it continues to use the old .gid file
        instead of regenerating >it. Try deleting the .gid file and open the
        Help file to see if that solved >the problem.
        >Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>

        In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
        also copy the NoteTab.gid file. If the NoteTab.exe file has been
        renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
        somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

        Expand on or clarify this if desired.

        Have fun Len

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi Len,

          >In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
          >also copy the NoteTab.gid file. If the NoteTab.exe file has been
          >renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
          >somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

          No, it shouldn't be necessary to rename the Help file (although it will
          indeed work as you described). By default, NoteTab looks for the file by
          the name NoteTab.hlp.

          Regards,

          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi Eric, All;

            At 09:29 PM 10/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
            >>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
            >>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.

            ------I deleted the .hlp and .gid files from a folder containing
            NotePro.exe renamed to xxxxxx.exe. I then copied a NoteTab.hlp
            file to the folder and renamed the file xxxxxx.hlp.
            When I selected Help Windows created xxxxxx.gid but the Contents
            section was missing although the Index and Find sections were present.
            When I copied both the NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid files and
            renamed them xxxxxx, Help displayed correctly. This was repeated.

            ------above anyname.exe should be somename.exe, Sorry.

            >>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

            >No, it shouldn't be necessary to rename the Help file (although it will
            >indeed work as you described). By default, NoteTab looks for the file by
            >the name NoteTab.hlp.
            >Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>

            -----I copied a NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid to a folder containing
            a NotePro.exe file renamed to xxxxxx.exe. Selecting Help gave the
            dialog box "Could not find xxxxxx.hlp file. Would you like to find
            the file".
            This repeated until I deleted the NoteTab files, recopied the files
            and renamed the NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid filesto xxxxxx.
            xxxxxx does not contain "Note" if that matters.
            I'm using NTP450.

            Hope this helps Len

            Len,Mary,Mike<mjlohj@...>

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
              On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:29:20 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
              [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

              >Hi Len,
              >
              >>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
              >>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.

              Why? Pointless.

              >>If the NoteTab.exe file has been
              >>renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
              >>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

              Pointless.

              Eric, I had to take a second look. I could hardly believe you wrote
              this message! FYI the ".gid" files are generated BY the help file and
              not only do they not have to be copied, but they can be DELETED as
              they will just be created again the next time somebody runs the help
              file. Same with any file that ends in ".fts" they can also be deleted
              if desired. They are not as common, but will be re-created when the
              help command is issued on help files that use them. The CONTENT files,
              the ones that end in ".cnt" are mandatory and must follow the main
              help file wherever they go.

              Sean & Mona: a great tradition since 1996
              Running on Internet Explorer 5.0
              REAL psychics win lotteries...
              They don't run 1-900 numbers!
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
                Hi Sean & Mona;

                You need to fall back and regroup. You seem to have had some
                problems interpreting the information. Recommend you re-read
                the referenced message.

                Hint 1. The message was posted by me, Len.
                Hint 2. The double >> (>>> in your reply) are also mine.
                Hint 3. The message documents actual test results.
                Hint 4. Shouldn't you run your own tests and offer alternate
                explanations and recommendations before you reject the offered
                conclusions and recommended actions ?

                Looking forward to your test results, Len

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                  Hi Sean,

                  >On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:29:20 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
                  >[NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:
                  >
                  >>Hi Len,
                  >>
                  >>>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
                  >>>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.
                  >
                  >Why? Pointless.
                  >
                  >>>If the NoteTab.exe file has been
                  >>>renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
                  >>>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.
                  >
                  >Pointless.
                  >
                  >Eric, I had to take a second look. I could hardly believe you wrote
                  >this message!

                  You miscounted the quotes ;-) Indeed, I did *not* write the above since it
                  was quoted from Len's message. In my reply, I said that I believed the
                  index problem that was reported was due to an old copy of the .gid file. I
                  also said it was best to delete it when a new copy of the Help file is
                  added, and I also explained that it is automatically created by Windows (or
                  to be more accurate, the Help engine).

                  Regards,

                  Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                • Baba Baba Baba Booey
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                    On Sat, 03 Oct 1998 09:40:51 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
                    [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

                    >Hi Sean,

                    >You miscounted the quotes ;-) Indeed, I did *not* write the above since it
                    >was quoted from Len's message. In my reply, I said that I believed the
                    >index problem that was reported was due to an old copy of the .gid file. I
                    >also said it was best to delete it when a new copy of the Help file is
                    >added, and I also explained that it is automatically created by Windows (or
                    >to be more accurate, the Help engine).

                    Okay I admit I did not read the previous post of this and noted the
                    message was from you - I didn't realize you were quoting. My
                    apologies. I did find the suggestion to copy the .gid files to be
                    extremely unusual which is why I decided to comment. Sorry I added to
                    the confusion.

                    -Sean

                  • Baba Baba Baba Booey
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                      On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:57:38 -0700, mjlohj@... babbled about
                      [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

                      >Hint 1. The message was posted by me, Len.

                      So Eric tells me.

                      >Hint 2. The double >> (>>> in your reply) are also mine.

                      So Eric tells me.

                      >Hint 3. The message documents actual test results.

                      You can make a thousand page theory on gravity. I can say: drop a rock
                      and it falls to the ground. In other words, no need to make it more
                      complicated than it needs to be. I was just saying the .gid files are
                      generated by the current help file and do not need to be copied
                      anywhere as the help file will just create it again. They can be
                      deleted, why copy them? That's all. The fact that they're generally
                      small is irrelevant. If your results differed then the help file must
                      have been corrupt.

                      >Hint 4. Shouldn't you run your own tests and offer alternate
                      >explanations and recommendations before you reject the offered
                      >conclusions and recommended actions ?

                      Been there done that. I was making a suggestion, I didn't mean to make
                      it into an argument. The NoteTab forum has been very beneficial to me,
                      and perhaps all the readers, so I do not wish to turn it into a flame
                      fest. Copying the .gid files won't hurt anyone - do as you wish - I
                      was just pointing out that there is no need to. Either way, it's
                      harmless.

                      -Sean

                    • Wren McMains
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                        Hi Sean,

                        > You can make a thousand page theory on gravity. I can say: drop a rock
                        > and it falls to the ground. In other words, no need to make it more
                        > complicated than it needs to be. I was just saying ...

                        Please don't waste gravity dropping rocks on .gid files.
                        Top scientists agree that with the present rate of consumption, the
                        earth's supply of gravity will be exhausted before the 24th century.
                        As man struggles to discover cheaper alternatives, we need your help.
                        Please...

                        CONSERVE GRAVITY

                        Follow these simple suggestions:

                        (1) Walk with a light step. Carry helium balloons if possible.
                        (2) Use tape, magnets, or glue instead of paperweights.
                        (3) Give up skiing and skydiving for more horizontal sports like
                        curling.
                        (4) Avoid showers .. take baths instead.
                        (5) Don't hang all your clothes in the closet ... Keep them in one big
                        pile.
                        (6) Stop flipping pancakes

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 4, 1998
                          Hi Eric, Aaron, All;

                          If you are going to change the name of the NotePro.exe
                          do not change the name of the help files.
                          If the help files are added at a later date you may need to
                          reload the NotePro.exe.

                          The unique original problems came about as follows:

                          -Set up a new folder with a NotePro.exe renamed to xxxxx.exe.-
                          -Removed all extraneous files including the help files.
                          -Operated in this configuration for a month or more.
                          -Accessed the help files in another folder several times,
                          however only the Index and Find Tabs would open via Help.
                          -Copied the help files from the standard NTP folder to the
                          xxxxx folder.
                          -After vain attempts to get Help to function correctly
                          I found renaming the help files to xxxxx.hlp, .gid, .cnt
                          allowed proper operation.
                          -I later found a problem with this configuration.

                          -I deleted the xxxxx.exe, and the help files and copied the
                          replacement set from the standard NTP folder and renamed
                          only the .exe to xxxxx.exe.
                          -This worked with no problems.

                          It appears the inter-references between the files became
                          miss-set in the original attempt to transfer and use the
                          files.

                          Hope I didn't cause anyone problems with the previous information.

                          Enjoy, Len

                          Len,Mary,Mike<mjlohj@...>