[NTB] Re: Help Index error

  • Lawrence R. Thomas
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 1998
      Hi Len,

      At 05:22 PM 10/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
      >Hi Larry;
      >
      >Thanks for the information. I was contemplating reloading
      >from scratch.
      >Do you know if I can run just the patch on top of the present
      >defective program??

      I don't think so and I don't think that the program is necessarily
      defective although it could be. I think that it might be some component
      file, ini, fts, fpr, dll, cnt??? but I don't know. I just think that
      something is wrong with one or more of the files in the directory that is
      not working.

      From your previous post you say:
      >>I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function
      >>correctly.

      This means to me that you have to successful installations. I guess that
      what I was saying was that you might rename the folder that is not working
      a different name and create a new folder with the old name. Then copy all
      of the files from one of the working folders. Now when you test the new
      copy, it should work. Now the only difference between this folder and the
      defective would be a few files that you want to keep such as the ini,fvr,
      and clb files. If the new folder works, copy those files over to it but
      not the exe or hlp or files related to those and test it. If that works
      and you are satisfied, you can delete the defective folder and its contents.

      Regards,

      Larry Thomas
      larryt@...

      If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a fool
      about it.

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 1998
        Attention Eric;
        Hi Larry, All;

        I changed the Created On date on NotePro.exe to today's date.
        I attempted to change NoteTab.hlp but could not change.
        Help bug was still there.

        I renamed the folder from NTPro450 to NoteTab Pro and the Help
        function operated correctly.

        I renamed the folder from NoteTab Pro to NTPro450 and the Help
        function operated correctly.
        Closed and opened NTP several times and restarted the computer.
        All Ok.

        Aren't computers wonderful, Len

        >>Do you know if I can run just the patch on top of the present
        >>defective program??
        >
        >I don't think so and I don't think that the program is necessarily
        >defective although it could be. I think that it might be some component
        >file, ini, fts, fpr, dll, cnt??? but I don't know. I just think that
        >something is wrong with one or more of the files in the directory that is
        >not working.

        >From your previous post you say:
        >>>I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function
        >>>correctly.
        >
        >This means to me that you have to successful installations. I guess that
        >what I was saying was that you might rename the folder that is not working
        >a different name and create a new folder with the old name. Then copy all
        >of the files from one of the working folders. Now when you test the new
        >copy, it should work. Now the only difference between this folder and the
        >defective would be a few files that you want to keep such as the ini,fvr,
        >and clb files. If the new folder works, copy those files over to it but
        >not the exe or hlp or files related to those and test it. If that works
        >and you are satisfied, you can delete the defective folder and its contents.
        >
        >If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
        >Then quit. No use being a fool about it.

        Len,Mary,Mike<mjlohj@...>

      • Eric G.V. Fookes
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
          Hi Len,

          >When I select Menu Bar/Help/Index/SomeItem
          >the item displsyed is usually the one before the selected item.
          >I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function
          >correctly.

          I think the problem is caused by the file "NoteTab.gid". It is
          automatically created by Windows when you open the Help file for the first
          time. The problem is that Windows does not check if the Help file has been
          updated so it continues to use the old .gid file instead of regenerating
          it. Try deleting the .gid file and open the Help file to see if that solved
          the problem.

          Regards,

          Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
            Hi Eric, All;

            >>When I select Menu Bar/Help/Index/SomeItem >>the item displsyed is usually the one before the selected item. >>I have two other NT 4.5 programs in other folders which function >>correctly.
            >I think the problem is caused by the file "NoteTab.gid". It is >automatically created by Windows when you open the Help file for the
            first >time. The problem is that Windows does not check if the Help
            file has been >updated so it continues to use the old .gid file
            instead of regenerating >it. Try deleting the .gid file and open the
            Help file to see if that solved >the problem.
            >Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>

            In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
            also copy the NoteTab.gid file. If the NoteTab.exe file has been
            renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
            somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

            Expand on or clarify this if desired.

            Have fun Len

          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
              Hi Len,

              >In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
              >also copy the NoteTab.gid file. If the NoteTab.exe file has been
              >renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
              >somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

              No, it shouldn't be necessary to rename the Help file (although it will
              indeed work as you described). By default, NoteTab looks for the file by
              the name NoteTab.hlp.

              Regards,

              Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
                Hi Eric, All;

                At 09:29 PM 10/2/98 +0200, you wrote:
                >>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
                >>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.

                ------I deleted the .hlp and .gid files from a folder containing
                NotePro.exe renamed to xxxxxx.exe. I then copied a NoteTab.hlp
                file to the folder and renamed the file xxxxxx.hlp.
                When I selected Help Windows created xxxxxx.gid but the Contents
                section was missing although the Index and Find sections were present.
                When I copied both the NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid files and
                renamed them xxxxxx, Help displayed correctly. This was repeated.

                ------above anyname.exe should be somename.exe, Sorry.

                >>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

                >No, it shouldn't be necessary to rename the Help file (although it will
                >indeed work as you described). By default, NoteTab looks for the file by
                >the name NoteTab.hlp.
                >Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>

                -----I copied a NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid to a folder containing
                a NotePro.exe file renamed to xxxxxx.exe. Selecting Help gave the
                dialog box "Could not find xxxxxx.hlp file. Would you like to find
                the file".
                This repeated until I deleted the NoteTab files, recopied the files
                and renamed the NoteTab.hlp and NoteTab.gid filesto xxxxxx.
                xxxxxx does not contain "Note" if that matters.
                I'm using NTP450.

                Hope this helps Len

                Len,Mary,Mike<mjlohj@...>

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
                  On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:29:20 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
                  [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

                  >Hi Len,
                  >
                  >>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
                  >>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.

                  Why? Pointless.

                  >>If the NoteTab.exe file has been
                  >>renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
                  >>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.

                  Pointless.

                  Eric, I had to take a second look. I could hardly believe you wrote
                  this message! FYI the ".gid" files are generated BY the help file and
                  not only do they not have to be copied, but they can be DELETED as
                  they will just be created again the next time somebody runs the help
                  file. Same with any file that ends in ".fts" they can also be deleted
                  if desired. They are not as common, but will be re-created when the
                  help command is issued on help files that use them. The CONTENT files,
                  the ones that end in ".cnt" are mandatory and must follow the main
                  help file wherever they go.

                  Sean & Mona: a great tradition since 1996
                  Running on Internet Explorer 5.0
                  REAL psychics win lotteries...
                  They don't run 1-900 numbers!
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 1998
                    Hi Sean & Mona;

                    You need to fall back and regroup. You seem to have had some
                    problems interpreting the information. Recommend you re-read
                    the referenced message.

                    Hint 1. The message was posted by me, Len.
                    Hint 2. The double >> (>>> in your reply) are also mine.
                    Hint 3. The message documents actual test results.
                    Hint 4. Shouldn't you run your own tests and offer alternate
                    explanations and recommendations before you reject the offered
                    conclusions and recommended actions ?

                    Looking forward to your test results, Len

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                      Hi Sean,

                      >On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 21:29:20 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
                      >[NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:
                      >
                      >>Hi Len,
                      >>
                      >>>In addition, if you copy a NoteTab.hlp file to another folder,
                      >>>also copy the NoteTab.gid file.
                      >
                      >Why? Pointless.
                      >
                      >>>If the NoteTab.exe file has been
                      >>>renamed to anyname.exe, rename the new .hlp and .gid files to
                      >>>somename.hlp and somename.gid. This will avoid other potential problems.
                      >
                      >Pointless.
                      >
                      >Eric, I had to take a second look. I could hardly believe you wrote
                      >this message!

                      You miscounted the quotes ;-) Indeed, I did *not* write the above since it
                      was quoted from Len's message. In my reply, I said that I believed the
                      index problem that was reported was due to an old copy of the .gid file. I
                      also said it was best to delete it when a new copy of the Help file is
                      added, and I also explained that it is automatically created by Windows (or
                      to be more accurate, the Help engine).

                      Regards,

                      Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
                    • Baba Baba Baba Booey
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                        On Sat, 03 Oct 1998 09:40:51 +0200, Eric G.V. Fookes babbled about
                        [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

                        >Hi Sean,

                        >You miscounted the quotes ;-) Indeed, I did *not* write the above since it
                        >was quoted from Len's message. In my reply, I said that I believed the
                        >index problem that was reported was due to an old copy of the .gid file. I
                        >also said it was best to delete it when a new copy of the Help file is
                        >added, and I also explained that it is automatically created by Windows (or
                        >to be more accurate, the Help engine).

                        Okay I admit I did not read the previous post of this and noted the
                        message was from you - I didn't realize you were quoting. My
                        apologies. I did find the suggestion to copy the .gid files to be
                        extremely unusual which is why I decided to comment. Sorry I added to
                        the confusion.

                        -Sean

                      • Baba Baba Baba Booey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                          On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:57:38 -0700, mjlohj@... babbled about
                          [NTB] Re: NoteTab.hlp/NoteTab.gid info proclaiming:

                          >Hint 1. The message was posted by me, Len.

                          So Eric tells me.

                          >Hint 2. The double >> (>>> in your reply) are also mine.

                          So Eric tells me.

                          >Hint 3. The message documents actual test results.

                          You can make a thousand page theory on gravity. I can say: drop a rock
                          and it falls to the ground. In other words, no need to make it more
                          complicated than it needs to be. I was just saying the .gid files are
                          generated by the current help file and do not need to be copied
                          anywhere as the help file will just create it again. They can be
                          deleted, why copy them? That's all. The fact that they're generally
                          small is irrelevant. If your results differed then the help file must
                          have been corrupt.

                          >Hint 4. Shouldn't you run your own tests and offer alternate
                          >explanations and recommendations before you reject the offered
                          >conclusions and recommended actions ?

                          Been there done that. I was making a suggestion, I didn't mean to make
                          it into an argument. The NoteTab forum has been very beneficial to me,
                          and perhaps all the readers, so I do not wish to turn it into a flame
                          fest. Copying the .gid files won't hurt anyone - do as you wish - I
                          was just pointing out that there is no need to. Either way, it's
                          harmless.

                          -Sean

                        • Wren McMains
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 1998
                            Hi Sean,

                            > You can make a thousand page theory on gravity. I can say: drop a rock
                            > and it falls to the ground. In other words, no need to make it more
                            > complicated than it needs to be. I was just saying ...

                            Please don't waste gravity dropping rocks on .gid files.
                            Top scientists agree that with the present rate of consumption, the
                            earth's supply of gravity will be exhausted before the 24th century.
                            As man struggles to discover cheaper alternatives, we need your help.
                            Please...

                            CONSERVE GRAVITY

                            Follow these simple suggestions:

                            (1) Walk with a light step. Carry helium balloons if possible.
                            (2) Use tape, magnets, or glue instead of paperweights.
                            (3) Give up skiing and skydiving for more horizontal sports like
                            curling.
                            (4) Avoid showers .. take baths instead.
                            (5) Don't hang all your clothes in the closet ... Keep them in one big
                            pile.
                            (6) Stop flipping pancakes

                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 1998
                              Hi Eric, Aaron, All;

                              If you are going to change the name of the NotePro.exe
                              do not change the name of the help files.
                              If the help files are added at a later date you may need to
                              reload the NotePro.exe.

                              The unique original problems came about as follows:

                              -Set up a new folder with a NotePro.exe renamed to xxxxx.exe.-
                              -Removed all extraneous files including the help files.
                              -Operated in this configuration for a month or more.
                              -Accessed the help files in another folder several times,
                              however only the Index and Find Tabs would open via Help.
                              -Copied the help files from the standard NTP folder to the
                              xxxxx folder.
                              -After vain attempts to get Help to function correctly
                              I found renaming the help files to xxxxx.hlp, .gid, .cnt
                              allowed proper operation.
                              -I later found a problem with this configuration.

                              -I deleted the xxxxx.exe, and the help files and copied the
                              replacement set from the standard NTP folder and renamed
                              only the .exe to xxxxx.exe.
                              -This worked with no problems.

                              It appears the inter-references between the files became
                              miss-set in the original attempt to transfer and use the
                              files.

                              Hope I didn't cause anyone problems with the previous information.

                              Enjoy, Len

                              Len,Mary,Mike<mjlohj@...>