[NTB] Re: Bug Wizard Width

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 1998
      Hi Kay,

      At 04:00 AM 09/27/98 -0500, you wrote:

      >If you do a double equal wizard with list text that's wider
      >than the wizard box, you get a very weird display. If there
      >are only 2 list entries, you can't get to the second one.
      >
      >^!Set %temp%=^?{==This is a very long list entry to demonstate the weird
      selection list you get|xxx}

      Looks like a bug to me, too. Adding an (H=10) doesn't help, either.

      >Ditto on the H= but I don't get enough of a slide to scroll to the 2nd one -
      >just can't get there from here. With 3 entries, I can scroll. If I drag
      >my wizard box so it's wide enough to display the long entries, then I get
      >the list shown as it should with == & h= works but that's not fun to do
      >each time you call a clip :(

      Yes, it happens as you say.

      In my notes, I have an "S=MaxTextSize" which should be the horizontal
      equivalent of "H=Height"; this should fix the problem, but it doesn't seem
      to work. Eric?

      ============
      In the meantime, this is a TEMPORARY fix to your problem, since you only
      want two entries at this time:

      ^!Set %temp%=^?{==This is a very long list entry to demonstate the weird
      selection list you get|xxx| }

      Notice the last (third) entry is only a space.

      ============
      But we still cannot have List Boxes with MANY long entries:

      ^!Set %temp%=^?{(H=3;S=5000)==This is a very long list entry to demonstate
      the weird selection list you get|xxx|HERE IS A 2nd very long list entry to
      demonstate the weird selection list you get| }

      Regards,

      RS

    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 1998
        Hi Kay,

        >If you do a double equal wizard with list text that's wider
        >than the wizard box, you get a very weird display. If there
        >are only 2 list entries, you can't get to the second one.
        >
        >^!Set %temp%=^?{==This is a very long list entry to demonstate the weird
        selection list you get|xxx}

        Basically, the problem here is that the method I use to estimate the
        required height does not take into account the addition of a horizontal
        scroll bar. If you strech the window so the full length is visible, then
        you should be able to see both items.

        Regards,

        Eric G.V. Fookes <fookes@...>
      • Kay Roath
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 1998
          27.09.1998 12:18 PM Eric G.V. Fookes wrote
          > ..... If you strech the window so the full length is visible, then
          > you should be able to see both items.

          Streching the width works but here's the whole deal:
          Aaron wrote a really neat clip that will index a file. It will be in
          the next newsletter. We've been working on it & came up with another
          clip that will let you take something like:
          Name: ....
          Comments: ....
          etc for a text database | index on Name or Comments or whatever |
          wizard shows list of entries | select & access. The one we've got
          now also saves the list info to a file so you don't have to index
          all the time BUT the wizard that shows you the saved info includes
          the file & that makes it too long | drag wizard area so you can
          work with it | select your list - it calls the referenced file &
          displays the index where you expand the box again if there are
          long entries | access your record | repeat wizard | drag some more
          & on & on. Makes a great clip a big hassle!

          By the way, it's the width that you have to expand. Height just gives
          you a blank area below the wizard list. With 2 long entries, I see 1/2
          of the first one with a little tiny scroll bar on the right which barely
          allows enough room to click but when I can manage to scroll down, all I
          get is half of a blank line so there's no way to get to #2 in the list
          without expanding the wizard width. Once I get beyond 2 entries, I see
          the first entry & most of the 2nd & can scroll to select any of them.
          It's usable once you get to that point & I could do a work-around to chop
          my entries so it would display better but presumably, I'm not the only
          one who might pick up large text items from a file & try to put them into
          wizard lists.

          --- Grandma Kay