Feature request

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 16, 1998
      There have been a number of times when I sure could have used
      ^!SetTopicName "TopicName"
      You can't do a find because it won't if Show Headers is off.
      I auppose that has something to do with why we don't have the
      command but since we're talking 4.51 already.......:)

      Bless you Eric!!!!!!!!! You & Martin Mckean (KeyText) go way
      above & beyond & it's very much appreciated (even if I don't get
      this request).

      Personal RANT...
      I just had updates on 2 programs where I asked for Select All on the
      right click menu (3 versions ago) & a date in saved e-mail messages
      ----still waiting :(
      I'd be VERY surprised if either one would take more than one line
      of code. Not even in the same league with what Eric does for us
      & I paid $35 for each of them!

      --- Grandma Kay - NoteTab Tips & Clips weekly Newsletter
      notetab-tips-subscribe@...
      **new subscribers** - Important info & past issues
      http://www.bigfoot.com/~freedom9

    • Roger Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 1998
        I would like the scrolling function to position the cursor one line
        *above* the bottom of the text in the document display. When I am
        scrolling down the text of a press release looking for formatting
        problems, it would be helpful to see a line of text just before it comes
        under the cursor. This would give me time to interupt the scroll and have
        the cursor positioned where I want to make the formatting change. As it
        is, I always overshoot and have to go back a line or more.

        This simple and subtle little function is part of UED, the neatest DOS
        text editor I have ever used. It is hard to imagine the usefulness of this
        mini-feature. And I can't see any disadvantages...

        It would also be nice to have a keyboard shortcut for "flip from one
        document to the next." UED (again) uses CTL+N (for next) and CTRL+B (for
        back) to go from window to window. I hate having to use the mouse, search
        by eye along the row of document name-tabs, and then click on the one I
        want. Too much time for the hand to be away from the keys...

        Is there some way of doing the latter now? I've looked, but not found
        it... but then my wife says I am, ah, challenged in the region of locating
        things. <wince>

        These are about my only two niggles preventing NoteTab from being my
        perfect text processor. And there are so many compensating virtues that
        I'm certainly not complaining...

        Roger

      • Jody Adair
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 1998
          Hi Roger,

          >It would also be nice to have a keyboard shortcut for "flip from one
          >document to the next."

          As was just showed "Ctrl+Tab" goes in the forward direction and "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" in reverse.

          >These are about my only two niggles preventing NoteTab from being my
          >perfect text processor.

          Does this mean you are one away from a "perfect" editor for you? :)

          c ya,
          Jody
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

        • Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
            Roger Williams <roger@...> wrote:
            >I would like the scrolling function to position the cursor one line
            >*above* the bottom of the text in the document display. When I am
            >scrolling down the text of a press release looking for formatting
            >problems, it would be helpful to see a line of text just before it comes
            >under the cursor. This would give me time to interupt the scroll and have
            >the cursor positioned where I want to make the formatting change. As it
            >is, I always overshoot and have to go back a line or more.
            >
            >This simple and subtle little function is part of UED, the neatest DOS
            >text editor I have ever used. It is hard to imagine the usefulness of this
            >mini-feature. And I can't see any disadvantages...

            In the newsreading program "Agent" this feature is called, "scroll margins"
            and is adjustable. I prefer to have my scroll margins set at 5 or 6 lines.
            (One or two lines is not enough time for me to stop Agent's scrolling, so
            with a scroll margin of just one line I'll still be overshooting it.)

            I've been meaning to suggest Eric add this to NoteTab, but keep forgetting

            Another suggestion I have is an option to synchronize the scrolling between
            windows, when the 2nd Window option is used. (So when either window is
            scrolled, both windows scroll.)

            --
            Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
            ICQ: 15117288

          • R.S.
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
              Hi Roger,

              At 02:22 PM 09/17/98 +0900, you wrote:
              >It would also be nice to have a keyboard shortcut for "flip from one
              >document to the next." UED (again) uses CTL+N (for next) and CTRL+B (for
              >back) to go from window to window.

              The keys you want are Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab. They browse the
              documents in the same order as the Tabs. In addition, if you want to switch
              back and forth between two open documents, you can check the RCL feature
              (d/) in PowerTools:

              http://pages.prodigy.net/rcsilv/download/ptools.zip

              Regards,

              RS

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
                Jody Adair wrote:

                > Hi Roger,
                >
                > >It would also be nice to have a keyboard shortcut for "flip from one
                > >document to the next."
                >
                > As was just showed "Ctrl+Tab" goes in the forward direction and "Ctrl+Shift+Tab" in reverse.

                I must have missed that one. Makes sense. I had a very busy weekend, and trashed some of
                themailing list notes without reading them. That'll teach me!

                > >These are about my only two niggles preventing NoteTab from being my
                > >perfect text processor.
                >
                > Does this mean you are one away from a "perfect" editor for you? :)

                Yep! Sure does!! (8-{) (do you know this smiley?)

                Roger

                PS Is your "Jody" the female or the male name? Someone referred to you as a "he"
                and I did a classic double-take because I linked the name with Jody Foster, who
                is clearly female... Not that it makes any difference (although the French would say
                "Vive la difference!")

              • Jody Adair
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
                  Hi Roger,

                  You wrote the following on 05:55 PM 9/17/98 +0900:

                  >Yep! Sure does!! (8-{) (do you know this smiley?)

                  Looks like me when I wear a hat and just got my mustache
                  trimmed, except I don't wear glasses. :)

                  >PS Is your "Jody" the female or the male name? Someone
                  >referred to you as a "he" and I did a classic double-take
                  >because I linked the name with Jody Foster, who is clearly
                  >female... Not that it makes any difference (although the
                  >French would say "Vive la difference!")

                  I'm not sweet like Jodie Foster which I believe is the
                  spelling. Most women use Jodie and I have never seen a
                  man with "ie," but ending with a "y" which is standard
                  for all dual names. I am sure there are those males that
                  their parents "cursed" with the "ie" ending though. :)

                  This Jody is a male that is getting ready to go swimming
                  down at the creek, that's down yonder to the crick (or the
                  simmin' hole) for ya hillbillies with his wife and three
                  of the kids shortly after breakfast. :)

                  cya,
                  Jody

                  If you reply, use an English to Hillbonics
                  converter since I don't understand much English.

                  http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                • Ron Cadby
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
                    On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 07:20:04 -0500, you wrote:

                    >I am sure there are those males that
                    >their parents "cursed" with the "ie" ending though. :)

                    Yep. "Ronnie" is the nickname for "Veronica". Only my Mom and Sis are allowed
                    to call me "Ronny". I even had them put "R. Bruce" in my HS yearbook, but when
                    my "peers" found out they started calling me "Brucie"....can't win.......*Ron*
                    --

                    Best to all, RonCadby mailto:rcadby@... http://www.check.com

                  • Roger Williams
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 17, 1998
                      Jody Adair wrote:

                      > Hi Roger,
                      >
                      > You wrote the following on 05:55 PM 9/17/98 +0900:
                      >
                      > >Yep! Sure does!! (8-{) (do you know this smiley?)
                      >
                      > Looks like me when I wear a hat and just got my mustache
                      > trimmed, except I don't wear glasses. :)

                      That's not a hat, that's a bald dome (in my case).

                      > >PS Is your "Jody" the female or the male name?

                      > I'm not sweet like Jodie Foster which I believe is the
                      > spelling.

                      Aha! Didn't know that..

                      > If you reply, use an English to Hillbonics
                      > converter since I don't understand much English.

                      You seem to be doing alright to me. But then perhaps
                      you have your Hillbonics converter on all the time and
                      all I see are the results? Must be a good'un. Figures.

                      Roger

                    • Cindy
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 20, 1998
                        > PS Is your "Jody" the female or the male name? Someone referred to
                        > you as a "he" and I did a classic double-take because I linked the
                        > name with Jody Foster, who is clearly female... Not that it makes
                        > any difference (although the French would say "Vive la difference!")

                        This Jody is definitely male. :) And a very nice person to boot.
                        Cindy (cas@...)
                        Homepage: http://www.ctol.net/~cas
                        ICQ#: 270504

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20, 1998
                          Cindy wrote:

                          > > PS Is your "Jody" the female or the male name? Someone referred to
                          > > you as a "he" and I did a classic double-take because I linked the
                          > > name with Jody Foster, who is clearly female... Not that it makes
                          > > any difference (although the French would say "Vive la difference!")
                          >
                          > This Jody is definitely male. :) And a very nice person to boot.

                          Cindy, it doesn't take long on this mailing list to find that out! I
                          couldn't agree more...

                          Roger

                        • jhrlindsay
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 19, 2007
                            Sometimes I have to deal with older programming languages (Cobol 85,
                            Fortran <= 8x, various assemblers ....) or would like to use visual
                            text alignment to organize my work (SNOBOL4, any of the free-form
                            languages). I would appreciate the ability to have some feint but
                            visible vertical lines at character positions (horrors - punched card
                            columns - monospaced fonts ...) and have the ability to tab to a
                            vertical line. I'd like it to be able to attach the vertical line
                            setup (and other attributes ?) to a file type (file name extension ?).

                            Good work on Note Tab though.

                            John.