Hyperlink to Topic In Outline

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2013
      To all,

      I want to link from one outline to a specific topic in a second outline when the two outlines may be in different folders and the second outline is not already open in NoteTab.

      The following does open the second outline (This and That.otl):

        [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl"]

      I tried to open This and That.otl at Topic ABC, but the following four attempts fail with file not found error:

        [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl"::Topic ABC]

        [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl::Topic ABC"]

        [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl"::"Topic ABC"]

        [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends"\"This and That.otl"::"Topic ABC"]

      Note that the outline file name and the topic each have blank spaces in their names.

      The examples in the Help file don't address this specific case.

      Thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp
      NTB Pro 6.2/fv
      ---
    • Bert Byfield
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 5, 2013
        > I tried to open This and That.otl at Topic ABC, but the following four
        > attempts fail with file not found error:
        > [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and
        > That.otl"::Topic ABC]

        Try moving the double-quotes. I haven't tested this, but the embedded double-quotes are probably your problem. The manual says to put them around the "cmd.exe", but I've found putting them around the filespec ("D:\Per...ABC") works, too. As does leaving out the quotes altogether.

        --
        Bert Byfield <bbyfield@...>
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013
          Hi Bert,

          Thanks for the reply.

          The double quotes around the file name are necessary because of the blank spaces in the file name. Omitting the double quotes altogether causes the hyperlink to be unable to find the outline file at all.

          Regards,

          Ray Shapp
          ---

          On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Bert Byfield <bbyfield@...> wrote:

          > I tried to open This and That.otl at Topic ABC, but the following four
          > attempts fail with file not found error:
          > [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and
          > That.otl"::Topic ABC]

          Try moving the double-quotes. I haven't tested this, but the embedded double-quotes are probably your problem. The manual says to put them around the "cmd.exe", but I've found putting them around the filespec ("D:\Per...ABC") works, too. As does leaving out the quotes altogether.

          --
          Bert Byfield <bbyfield@...>

          __

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013
            Hi
             e:\nets\OUTLINES\READ.OTL   in my outlines folder and placed a link for the CMD information.otl  the my temp and it opens the otl.

            [e:\nts6\temp\CMD Information.otl]

                THANKYOU DAVE-M

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2013
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

              > I want to link from one outline to a specific topic in a second
              > outline when the two outlines may be in different folders and
              > the second outline is not already open in NoteTab.
              >
              > The following does open the second outline (This and That.otl):
              >
              > [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl"]

              Why using CMD.EXE?

              Insert a string like...

              [E:\Any directory\ClipCode Syntax.otl::Insert Math Function]

              into an OTL, place the cursor between brackets, and press Crtl+H. Now NT will perfectly open ClipCode Syntax.otl and jump directly to the topic "Insert Math Function". No quotes needed.

              For more details, see 'Help|Help Topics|How to...|Use Web and Document Links'.

              Regards,
              Flo
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2013
                Hi Dave and Flo,

                @Dave:  Thanks for the suggestion.

                @Flo: Your example works perfectly! It doesn't matter whether or not the target outline is an open document or is in a different folder. It can even be on a different disk.  A string like [E:\Any directory\ClipCode Syntax.otl::Insert Math Function] opens the target outline and places the cursor at the beginning of the specified topic. One can use Ctrl+H as you suggested. It also works by double-clicking within the string. I also discovered that the string can be in any open text document  --  not just in an outline file.

                I had already consulted 'Help|Help Topics|How to...|Use Web and Document Links', but I didn't recognize the relevant section.

                Again, thank you to you both.

                Ray Shapp
                ---

                On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:48 AM, flo.gehrke <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:

                > I want to link from one outline to a specific topic in a second
                > outline when the two outlines may be in different folders and
                > the second outline is not already open in NoteTab.
                >
                > The following does open the second outline (This and That.otl):
                >
                > [cmd.exe /c start D:\Personal\RAS\"Odds and ends\This and That.otl"]

                Why using CMD.EXE?

                Insert a string like...

                [E:\Any directory\ClipCode Syntax.otl::Insert Math Function]

                into an OTL, place the cursor between brackets, and press Crtl+H. Now NT will perfectly open ClipCode Syntax.otl and jump directly to the topic "Insert Math Function". No quotes needed.

                For more details, see 'Help|Help Topics|How to...|Use Web and Document Links'.

                Regards,
                Flo

              • loro
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2013
                  Hi Ray,

                  >I had already consulted 'Help|Help Topics|How to...|Use Web and
                  >Document Links', but I didn't recognize the relevant section.

                  It's there, even if it doesn't show explicit examples of using the
                  full path (I don't think). But also try ReadMe.otl . It's kind of
                  interactive and IIRC more complete. It's in the same directory as the
                  other help files.

                  You can also use relative links, constructed in a similar way as HTML
                  relative links. I don't think this is mentioned. The links are
                  relative the current document. So if you want to open a document in a
                  sub directory...

                  [sub\file.ext]

                  And if it's one directory up, you go like this.

                  [..\file.ext]

                  Lotta