Read only file ????

  • Don Beam
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2013

      I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.

      I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they are normal  for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and they are “at times” modifiable.

      Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

      Don

    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2013
        Interviewed by CNN on 04/11/2013 15:39, Don Beam told the world:

        > I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as
        > “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I
        > access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.
        >
        > I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they
        > are normal for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and
        > they are “at times” modifiable.
        >
        > Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

        I would guess that those files are marked as Unicode files. Since
        Notetab has incomplete Unicode support, it opens such files in read-only
        mode in order to avoid damaging them accidentally. Windows Notepad has
        full Unicode support, so it doesn't have this problem.

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
      • Al Guevara
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2013
          Have you performed any Windoz tasks lately? Win updates? Installed any software? Can you verify  the actual file(s) are lock via Right click on the file? Right click on folder that holds the files?

          ​AL

          On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Don Beam <djbeam@...> wrote:

          I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.

          I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they are normal  for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and they are “at times” modifiable.

          Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

          Don

          --
          Hi

          Thank you much!

          Tucson-WebDesign.com - Al Guevara

          Web: Website Design, Maintenance, Consultation, Hosting, E-mail, Domain Names.
          Seo: Site optimization, Submission, Paid Inclusion.
          Software: Dreamweaver, Wordpress, Frontpage, Online Editors.
          Cushycms: Convert your site so text is editible in your Browser. No more hiring Webmaster's.
          Contact: 520-304-9066 - al@...
          Rates
          http://tucson-webdesign.com/rates.htm

        • djbeam27

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2013
              okay .. thanks for the idea .. how do I find out if it is so marked .. and how do I change it.

              What makes this so interesting .. is there are actual times that Notetab will update the file.

              Any help appreciated..

              Don

              ---In notetab@yahoogroups.com, <bytext@...> wrote:

              Interviewed by CNN on 04/11/2013 15:39, Don Beam told the world:

              > I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as
              > “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I
              > access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.
              >
              > I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they
              > are normal for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and
              > they are “at times” modifiable.
              >
              > Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

              I would guess that those files are marked as Unicode files. Since
              Notetab has incomplete Unicode support, it opens such files in read-only
              mode in order to avoid damaging them accidentally. Windows Notepad has
              full Unicode support, so it doesn't have this problem.

              --
              MCBastos

              -=-=-
              ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2013

                Open one of the documents that shows as read only. Make sure your preferences, document, are set for Dos/Windows. Open a new blank document. Copy from your read only document to your blank document, and save the new document. Close both. Now open the new document. If it is not read only, the problem was a character somewhere in the original document that NoteTab didn't like. Now, using a File Comparer/difference, look at the difference between those two file. Something will be different, and that will tell you what the 'bad' character is.

                To prevent this problem in the future, you can write a clip that opens those documents using the following format:

                ^!Open "[YourFile]" /C=65001

                Then, replace any characters that you have found that cause this problem.

                Then, Save As Ansi, and you should be good to go.

                Regards,
                John

                okay .. thanks for the idea .. how do I find out if it is so marked .. and how do I change it.

                What makes this so interesting .. is there are actual times that Notetab will update the file.

                Any help appreciated..

                Don

                ---In notetab@yahoogroups.com, <bytext@...> wrote:

                Interviewed by CNN on 04/11/2013 15:39, Don Beam told the world:

                > I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as
                > “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I
                > access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.
                >
                > I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they
                > are normal for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and
                > they are “at times” modifiable.
                >
                > Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

                I would guess that those files are marked as Unicode files. Since
                Notetab has incomplete Unicode support, it opens such files in read-only
                mode in order to avoid damaging them accidentally. Windows Notepad has
                full Unicode support, so it doesn't have this problem.

                --
                MCBastos

                -=-=-
                ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.

              • robert_h_sf
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2013
                  Yes, it's inconsistent. Sometimes Notetab will detect that a file is encoded in Unicode, and it will then open it as Read Only. But sometimes it doesn't detect the Unicode encoding, and allows you to make changes to it, but since it doesn't save as Unicode, it basically destroys the file. A file with one or two Unicode characters can be fixed, but when there are thousands...

                  The change to Unicode is here, and too many people aren't ready for it. If you scroll down, you'll see how Yahoo messed up the (likely curly) quotes in your "Read Only," rendering it as “Read Onlyâ€.

                  How to tell what encoding a text file has? You could open it in Notepad++ and check under the Encoding menu. Of course, if you get that far, you might as well edit the file in Notepad++ too.

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, <djbeam@...> wrote:

                  > okay .. thanks for the idea .. how do I find out if it is so marked .. and how do I change it.
                  >
                  > What makes this so interesting .. is there are actual times that Notetab will update the file.
                  >
                  > Any help appreciated..
                  >
                  > Don
                  >

                  > ---In notetab@yahoogroups.com, <bytext@> wrote:
                  >
                  > Interviewed by CNN on 04/11/2013 15:39, Don Beam told the world:
                  > >
                  > > I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as
                  > > “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I
                  > > access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.
                  > >
                  > > I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they
                  > > are normal for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and
                  > > they are “at times” modifiable.
                  > >
                  > > Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?
                  > >

                  > I would guess that those files are marked as Unicode files. Since
                  > Notetab has incomplete Unicode support, it opens such files in read-only
                  > mode in order to avoid damaging them accidentally. Windows Notepad has
                  > full Unicode support, so it doesn't have this problem.
                  >
                  > --
                  > MCBastos
                  >
                  > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
                  > -=-=-
                  > ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
                  > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.22 *
                  > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

                • djbeam27

                    okay .. thanks for the idea .. how do I find out if it is so marked .. and how do I change it.

                    What makes this so interesting .. is there are actual times that Notetab will update the file.

                    Any help appreciated..

                    Don

                    ---In notetab@yahoogroups.com, <bytext@...> wrote:

                    Interviewed by CNN on 04/11/2013 15:39, Don Beam told the world:

                    > I have just noticed that some files (not all) are now reflecting as
                    > “Read Only” in Notetab Pro 7.1 and I cannot update them, but if I
                    > access the same file using Notepad, there is no issue.
                    >
                    > I have looked at the attributes of the files (usually “.txt”) and they
                    > are normal for read-write (A), they are not on a network drive and
                    > they are “at times” modifiable.
                    >
                    > Where would I go to further trouble shoot this issue?

                    I would guess that those files are marked as Unicode files. Since
                    Notetab has incomplete Unicode support, it opens such files in read-only
                    mode in order to avoid damaging them accidentally. Windows Notepad has
                    full Unicode support, so it doesn't have this problem.

                    --
                    MCBastos

                    -=-=-
                    ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.

                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 13, 2013
                      At 02:02 2013-11-07, robert_h_sf wrote:
                      >How to tell what encoding a text file has? You could open it in
                      >Notepad++ and check under the Encoding menu. Of course, if you get
                      >that far, you might as well edit the file in Notepad++ too.

                      It says on the status bar in Notetab too, at least it used to be that way.

                      Lotta