Where find Favorites File in 6.2?

  • ken_winston_caine_author
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013
      Hi:

      Am running Notetab Pro v. 6.2. (Have been using Notetab since 1998.)

      Am moving it to a new computer and have an extensive favorites file that I want to move. Can't find it. Searched for Favorites.fvr on my C drive using Windows Search and it only finds references to files from previous moves doesn't find a current one. Don't see any sign of it in the NotetabPro program folder.

      Can anyone point me to the path for the favorites file?

      Thank you,

      ken
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013

        Download and install 'everything'. Give it a chance to index your computer, then you can search for anything and get the results instantly. Read about it here, and download from here.

        http://download.cnet.com/Everything/3000-2379_4-10890746.html

        You'll want to search for .fvr, and it will show you every instance, on every drive, immediately.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013
          Op zondag 27 oktober 2013 23:37 schreef naturedoc@...:

          > Am running Notetab Pro v. 6.2. (Have been using Notetab since 1998.)
          >
          > Am moving it to a new computer and have an extensive favorites file
          > that I want to move. Can't find it. Searched for Favorites.fvr on my
          > C drive using Windows Search and it only finds references to files
          > from previous moves doesn't find a current one. Don't see any sign of
          > it in the NotetabPro program folder.
          >
          > Can anyone point me to the path for the favorites file?

          Type %appdata% in Windows Explorer's address bar and press Enter, then copy the Notetab folder to the same location on the new computer.
          It contains all settings, history, favourites, libraries and templates.

          Alex.
        • Al Guevara

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013
                Interviewed by CNN on 27/10/2013 23:15, naturedoc@... told the
                world:

                > BTW, I AM looking into the program you cited. I LOVED Google Desktop
                > Search in its early iterations before it started crashing all the
                > time. (And it has long been withdrawn and unsupported now by Google.
                > Windows Search is not even a contender in comparison. And Copernic
                > Desktop Search just doesn't deliver the results the way I like them.)

                Everything (and a similar program called Ultrasearch if I'm not
                mistaken) search only for file names, not content. So very different
                animals from Google Desktop, Copernic and even Windows Search. The trick
                is that they directly access the Master File Table, the central database
                where Windows stores all file info, so they are amazingly fast and,
                well, go around things like "folders which you are not supposed to be
                able to open." Therefore they need to operate with admin privileges,
                which could be a security risk under some circumstances (mind you, I
                love Everything; but it's not for everyone)

                As for Copernic, they recently released a new version (4.0) with
                significant UI changes. Maybe you will find it more to your liking than
                the version you tried before. I'm still ambivalent about it.

                --
                MCBastos

                -=-=-
                ... Sent from my Odyssey2.
              • ken_winston_caine_author

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013
                    It taps into the file create/rename/delete as it happens and displays immediately if a change is detected ... so it you are watching (by virtue of the filter you've typed) a folder you can see all the action as it occurs.
                    Regards ... Alec   (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 27, 2013

                      Yes, that's right, and if you tell it to display, say, .bak, you can delete every .bak file from your computer, on every drive, in one click. Generally, it will be a startup program, but it doesn't use resources until you change something in the file system. I don't have it set to start at startup right now, so the first time I use it after a boot, I have to let it index. It is very fast, though, compared to other indexers, which could take hours to find everything through searches. The basic difference is that Everything just identifies EVERY file on your computer in the first go, and then you find things by filtering the list, which has no disk activity - it is just changing what is displayed. It's ingenious. All you have to know is ANY PART of any file name, and you can find it by simply typing in that part. Or even a folder name, such as 2004. I long ago left behind the careful archival methods I used for saving files so that I could find them again in favor of finding them instantly instead.

                      Want to see every .ini file on your computer? just type in .ini, and you will see them, instantly. Double click the one you want to work with and it will open in your default text editor, or notetab, if you have it set to edit .ini files.

                      Regards,
                      John