Re: Text File Problem after Upload to Website

  • S or J
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013
      Hi Alex and Art

      Problem solved thanks to your lucid explanations and suggestions. Very
      much appreciated as this situation was stressing me out.

      I viewed the NoteTab created text files as they were saved on my
      computer with a hex viewer and they did indeed have carriage returns
      plus line feeds together. So NoteTab was not the problem, which makes
      me very happy as I love this program.

      I have been using FileZilla as my FTP program -- using its default
      automatic file transfer setting.

      I changed the file upload transfer setting to binary as Alex suggested
      and re-uploaded the test file to my website.

      Now the file displays properly in browsers and when downloaded still
      displays correct line breaks in NoteTab AND Notepad.

      I also truly thank the other fine folks here who have offered
      suggestions. This group has been the source of a great deal of
      friendly support and tips over the years.

      I will be re-uploading all the files to my site in the next couple of
      days using binary FTP settings.

      Best regards
      Steve Bachanek

      Sep 5, 2013 "Art Kocsis" wrote:
      > Most browsers, if not all, correctly display any combinations of
      > line terminators in text files.
      Windows Notepad does NOT acknowledge any line terminator format except
      the CRLF pair.
      Straight downloads of text files do not modify line termination in
      text files which says the file on the server does not contain CRLF
      line terminators.
      First make sure you are actually creating files with windows (CRLF)
      line terminators. Check your NTB settings (View | Options| Documents).
      If you are paranoid, look at your file with a hex viewer and verify
      the x0D, x0A pair.
      If the CRLF terminators exist in your local copy then as Alex says,
      the problem is in the transmission. Art <