RE: [Bulk] [NTB] Latest Update lost notepro.ini file

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

      While most of what you say is probably true, and will work most of the time, I see some points that will fail for some people. I simply cannot recommend installing NoteTab into C:\Program Files at all, so as to eliminate ALL of this bs promulgated by Microsoft when they made these changes, which their OWN PROGRAMS don't follow. Obviously, they couldn't rewrite all their programs when they released Vista, so their back-asswards 'fix' allowed Microsoft programs to continue to function without having to rewrite how each one worked.

      The best recommendation I have for ALL NoteTab users is to create a new folder called C:\Programs. Install ALL programs that are not explicitly designed for Vista or later, AND programs like NoteTab, which have a whole group of folders with NoteTab that hold writable files, such as the ,ini file, the clip libraries, and all the other files for which NoteTab provides its own folders. The very BEST benefit of this is that by saving that one folder, of NoteTab and its sibling folders, you have captured your ENTIRE NoteTab development environment, and you can move it anywhere, and it will work perfectly. All of the things NoteTab expects to do within its own folders is permitted, since UAC is not involved, since this is not in a Microsoft 'protected' folder.

      I have run NoteTab this way for years and years, and I know, absolutely, that any time I want to look at my clip libraries, or .ini file, or anything else to do with NoteTab, I simply browse to C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro, and it is all there.

      Most importantly of all, if Microsoft had left everything alone, and created a NEW install folder that was protected with UAC, then none of this crap would have happened to every piece of software that expected to be able to write to its own folders, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT MICROSOFT TOLD DEVELOPERS TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. They changed the game, and screwed everyone. I can only recommend completely circumventing their crap by doing as I have indicated above. At least that works positively, every time, and I ALWAYS know which files are in play, and where they are.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013
        Op vrijdag 6 september 2013 06:28 schreef John Shotsky:

        > While most of what you say is probably true, and will work most of
        > the time, I see some points that will fail for some people. I simply
        > cannot recommend installing NoteTab into C:\Program Files at all, so
        > as to eliminate ALL of this bs promulgated by Microsoft when they
        > made these changes, which their OWN PROGRAMS don't follow. Obviously,
        > they couldn't rewrite all their programs when they released Vista, so
        > their back-asswards 'fix' allowed Microsoft programs to continue to
        > function without having to rewrite how each one worked.
        >
        > The best recommendation I have for ALL NoteTab users is to create a
        > new folder called C:\Programs. Install ALL programs that are not
        > explicitly designed for Vista or later, AND programs like NoteTab,
        > which have a whole group of folders with NoteTab that hold writable
        > files, such as the ,ini file, the clip libraries, and all the other
        > files for which NoteTab provides its own folders. The very BEST
        > benefit of this is that by saving that one folder, of NoteTab and its
        > sibling folders, you have captured your ENTIRE NoteTab development
        > environment, and you can move it anywhere, and it will work
        > perfectly. All of the things NoteTab expects to do within its own
        > folders is permitted, since UAC is not involved, since this is not in
        > a Microsoft 'protected' folder.
        > I have run NoteTab this way for years and years, and I know,
        > absolutely, that any time I want to look at my clip libraries, or
        > .ini file, or anything else to do with NoteTab, I simply browse to
        > C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro, and it is all there.
        >
        > Most importantly of all, if Microsoft had left everything alone, and
        > created a NEW install folder that was protected with UAC, then none
        > of this crap would have happened to every piece of software that
        > expected to be able to write to its own folders, WHICH IS EXACTLY
        > WHAT MICROSOFT TOLD DEVELOPERS TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. They changed
        > the game, and screwed everyone. I can only recommend completely
        > circumventing their crap by doing as I have indicated above. At least
        > that works positively, every time, and I ALWAYS know which files are
        > in play, and where they are.

        Working without administrative rights worked fine in Windows XP.
        In Vista and newer, MS screwed it up with their virtual folders.
        When a virtual copy of a file exists, you often see different file contents with MS programs than with third party programs!

        Apart from this, Notetab version 5 and newer works fine in a multi-user environment both under Windows XP and 7.
        Your settings can be found in %appdata%. There's the only folder that needs to be saved when keeping settings when reinstalling Windows or transferring settings to another computer.

        Alex.
      • Sean
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013
            The Notetab help file tells you where the ini file is located.
            It is where it was said to be at - C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro
            (SEAN would be different for the users own name on their computer)

            Mine is 6.x version, though.
            I had to find it to see where the files for the Quick List was written.

            John