Latest Update lost notepro.ini file

  • lorellevanfossen
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013
      The latest update lost the notepro.ini file. Luckily, I had backups but not recent ones. After the past few year or two without incident during an update, I thought I would report it.

      For those unfamiliar with this issue, the notepro.ini file "should" be stored in the same directory (folder) as the program is installed. The file holds all the customization of the interface including a list of the most recently opened files for autoload, toolbar customization, file locations, favorites, and more.

      As someone who customizes NoteTab Pro to her own specific needs over many years of use, losing the notepro.ini file is serious and a waste of time.

      Before initiating an update, this is a reminder to all: BACKUP YOUR NOTEPRO.INI file.

      As a look forward, it would be nice if it was automatically backed up by the program as part of the update process.

      Thanks!

      Lorelle
      http://lorelle.wordpress.com/
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

        The NotePro .ini file does not go in the program folder starting with Vista. It is in C:\users….etc. You find it by searching your computer for it. If you don't install NoteTab in C:\Program File, you CAN store your .ini file with the program, as I do. Starting with Vista, programs could no longer write to files in C:\Program Files, so they built in workarounds that are not always obvious - there is a thing called 'shadow copy' that moves things to hidden folders too, so then you have to unhide the folder to find the files.

        Even if you DO put your .ini file with NoteTab itself, it won't use it until you edit it with a different editor and change the setting for the .ini file location it uses.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013
          Interviewed by CNN on 05/09/2013 16:54, John Shotsky told the world:

          > The NotePro .ini file does not go in the program folder starting with
          > Vista. It is in C:\users….etc. You find it by searching your computer
          > for it. If you don't install NoteTab in C:\Program File, you CAN store
          > your .ini file with the program, as I do. Starting with Vista,
          > programs could no longer write to files in C:\Program Files, so they
          > built in workarounds that are not always obvious - there is a thing
          > called 'shadow copy' that moves things to hidden folders too, so then
          > you have to unhide the folder to find the files.

          Actually, the recommendation for applications to store settings in the
          user profile is way older than Vista... THIRTEEN YEARS older, in fact
          (since the very first version of Windows NT). Up to and including XP,
          however, users with Admin rights could still write on the C:\Program
          Files and other protected folders, but "restricted" users (that is, just
          about anybody who works in a corporate environment) couldn't.

          Since programmers (who have admin access to their own machines) and
          home/small business users (who, despite recommendations to the contrary,
          tend to work with administrative-level accounts) didn't have problems,
          many pieces of software took a while to be updated in order to keep
          their settings in userland. Even Microsoft was guilty of that -- I
          remember setting up Office 2000 in a corporate environment, and it was
          _so_ noncompliant with Microsoft own guidelines it wasn't funny; the
          workaround was to give the user admin rights for the first run of the
          program and then downgrading the rights afterwards.

          (Windows 9.x wasn't really a multiuser system and didn't have a real
          separation between system and userland; so consumer-level programs,
          which were sold for 9x users, tended to ignore the issue)

          What changed with Vista was that working with Admin rights no longer
          gives you superuser powers all the time (well, unless you disable UAC);
          you have to face the UAC prompt every time you attempt to do something
          requiring admin-level permissions. So programmers finally bothered to
          move the settings to userland...

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Starfleet Universal Translator.
        • Sean
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

            This is tricky since I just took an audit of my system and found four notepro.ini files:

            C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

            C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

            C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

            C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

            From what you are telling me, I am to concern myself with the first directory I listed.  They range from 9 to 11K in size and I’m not totally sure which one is active.

            The file C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini has the most recent time stamp.  As for size I know some of this has to do with the recent file history lines.

            As such I’m not sure if I should delete the others or what the story is. Regardless, the program directory is not the only place to find this file.

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

              If you want to know which one it is actually using, create a clip and put this in it, then in a blank document, use the clip:

              ^!InsertText Your current INI file = ^$GetIniFile$^%nl%

              Then you can delete ALL of the others.

              Regards,
              John

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

                The bad news is that I’m lousy with clips.   I tried to implement your solution.

                It didn’t work.

                A simple trick, then.  I did a “poll” for news.

                The active notepro.ini was updated.  In my case,

                C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                Where of course my name (SEAN) would be replaced by the account name of the active user.

                This is how it presents itself on Windows 7.  I don’t know about Windows 8 or emulators under Linux, etc.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013
                  Interviewed by CNN on 06/09/2013 00:14, Sean told the world:
                  > This is tricky since I just took an audit of my system and found four
                  > notepro.ini files:
                  OK, let's see which is each one. To begin with, it appears that you have
                  at least two accounts in your computer, which were originally named
                  "Administrator" and "SEAN" (they may have since been renamed, but the
                  folder names remain).

                  > C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

                  This one is in the program folder. I don't recommend keeping this one,
                  because it's supposed to be read-only unless you are running with admin
                  privileges enabled. My computer does not have an .ini file here and it
                  works fine.

                  > C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                  This one is the Notetab settings for the user "Administrator." Since you
                  say this one has the most recent timestamp, it seems that you are using
                  a Windows account that either is called "Administrator" or was
                  *originally* called "Administrator" but has since been renamed --
                  renaming an account won't rename the user profile folder.

                  > C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

                  This one is actually result of an interesting trick Windows 7 has under
                  its sleeve: if a software running under an unprivileged user attempts to
                  write to a protected location (like C:\Program Files), Windows will
                  create this "VirtualStore" folder and show it to the program as if it
                  was the protected location. So, this probably resulted from the attempt
                  by Notetab at updating the notetab.ini file located at the Program Files
                  folder while running under the non-privileged users "SEAN".

                  This trick attempts to work around badly behaved software... but the
                  problem with it is that it doesn't seem to work *all* the time, so you
                  might get inconsistent results when attempting to (say) edit the
                  notetab.ini by hand.

                  So, I don't recommend keeping this file either. I recommend you delete
                  this one and the one located in the "Program Files" folder, so Notetab
                  will use only file #4 below in consistent manner.

                  > C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                  This is the recommended location for user settings for user SEAN. I
                  suggest you leave it alone, so SEAN has his own settings file, separate
                  from the one for "Administrator."

                  --
                  MCBastos

                  -=-=-
                  ... Sent from my scrying pool.
                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

                    While most of what you say is probably true, and will work most of the time, I see some points that will fail for some people. I simply cannot recommend installing NoteTab into C:\Program Files at all, so as to eliminate ALL of this bs promulgated by Microsoft when they made these changes, which their OWN PROGRAMS don't follow. Obviously, they couldn't rewrite all their programs when they released Vista, so their back-asswards 'fix' allowed Microsoft programs to continue to function without having to rewrite how each one worked.

                    The best recommendation I have for ALL NoteTab users is to create a new folder called C:\Programs. Install ALL programs that are not explicitly designed for Vista or later, AND programs like NoteTab, which have a whole group of folders with NoteTab that hold writable files, such as the ,ini file, the clip libraries, and all the other files for which NoteTab provides its own folders. The very BEST benefit of this is that by saving that one folder, of NoteTab and its sibling folders, you have captured your ENTIRE NoteTab development environment, and you can move it anywhere, and it will work perfectly. All of the things NoteTab expects to do within its own folders is permitted, since UAC is not involved, since this is not in a Microsoft 'protected' folder.

                    I have run NoteTab this way for years and years, and I know, absolutely, that any time I want to look at my clip libraries, or .ini file, or anything else to do with NoteTab, I simply browse to C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro, and it is all there.

                    Most importantly of all, if Microsoft had left everything alone, and created a NEW install folder that was protected with UAC, then none of this crap would have happened to every piece of software that expected to be able to write to its own folders, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT MICROSOFT TOLD DEVELOPERS TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. They changed the game, and screwed everyone. I can only recommend completely circumventing their crap by doing as I have indicated above. At least that works positively, every time, and I ALWAYS know which files are in play, and where they are.

                    Regards,
                    John

                    Interviewed by CNN on 06/09/2013 00:14, Sean told the world:

                    > This is tricky since I just took an audit of my system and found four
                    > notepro.ini files:
                    OK, let's see which is each one. To begin with, it appears that you have
                    at least two accounts in your computer, which were originally named
                    "Administrator" and "SEAN" (they may have since been renamed, but the
                    folder names remain).

                    > C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

                    This one is in the program folder. I don't recommend keeping this one,
                    because it's supposed to be read-only unless you are running with admin
                    privileges enabled. My computer does not have an .ini file here and it
                    works fine.

                    > C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                    This one is the Notetab settings for the user "Administrator." Since you
                    say this one has the most recent timestamp, it seems that you are using
                    a Windows account that either is called "Administrator" or was
                    *originally* called "Administrator" but has since been renamed --
                    renaming an account won't rename the user profile folder.

                    > C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7

                    This one is actually result of an interesting trick Windows 7 has under
                    its sleeve: if a software running under an unprivileged user attempts to
                    write to a protected location (like C:\Program Files), Windows will
                    create this "VirtualStore" folder and show it to the program as if it
                    was the protected location. So, this probably resulted from the attempt
                    by Notetab at updating the notetab.ini file located at the Program Files
                    folder while running under the non-privileged users "SEAN".

                    This trick attempts to work around badly behaved software... but the
                    problem with it is that it doesn't seem to work *all* the time, so you
                    might get inconsistent results when attempting to (say) edit the
                    notetab.ini by hand.

                    So, I don't recommend keeping this file either. I recommend you delete
                    this one and the one located in the "Program Files" folder, so Notetab
                    will use only file #4 below in consistent manner.

                    > C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                    This is the recommended location for user settings for user SEAN. I
                    suggest you leave it alone, so SEAN has his own settings file, separate
                    from the one for "Administrator."

                    --
                    MCBastos

                    -=-=-
                    ... Sent from my scrying pool.

                  • Alex Plantema
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013
                      Op vrijdag 6 september 2013 06:28 schreef John Shotsky:

                      > While most of what you say is probably true, and will work most of
                      > the time, I see some points that will fail for some people. I simply
                      > cannot recommend installing NoteTab into C:\Program Files at all, so
                      > as to eliminate ALL of this bs promulgated by Microsoft when they
                      > made these changes, which their OWN PROGRAMS don't follow. Obviously,
                      > they couldn't rewrite all their programs when they released Vista, so
                      > their back-asswards 'fix' allowed Microsoft programs to continue to
                      > function without having to rewrite how each one worked.
                      >
                      > The best recommendation I have for ALL NoteTab users is to create a
                      > new folder called C:\Programs. Install ALL programs that are not
                      > explicitly designed for Vista or later, AND programs like NoteTab,
                      > which have a whole group of folders with NoteTab that hold writable
                      > files, such as the ,ini file, the clip libraries, and all the other
                      > files for which NoteTab provides its own folders. The very BEST
                      > benefit of this is that by saving that one folder, of NoteTab and its
                      > sibling folders, you have captured your ENTIRE NoteTab development
                      > environment, and you can move it anywhere, and it will work
                      > perfectly. All of the things NoteTab expects to do within its own
                      > folders is permitted, since UAC is not involved, since this is not in
                      > a Microsoft 'protected' folder.
                      > I have run NoteTab this way for years and years, and I know,
                      > absolutely, that any time I want to look at my clip libraries, or
                      > .ini file, or anything else to do with NoteTab, I simply browse to
                      > C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro, and it is all there.
                      >
                      > Most importantly of all, if Microsoft had left everything alone, and
                      > created a NEW install folder that was protected with UAC, then none
                      > of this crap would have happened to every piece of software that
                      > expected to be able to write to its own folders, WHICH IS EXACTLY
                      > WHAT MICROSOFT TOLD DEVELOPERS TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. They changed
                      > the game, and screwed everyone. I can only recommend completely
                      > circumventing their crap by doing as I have indicated above. At least
                      > that works positively, every time, and I ALWAYS know which files are
                      > in play, and where they are.

                      Working without administrative rights worked fine in Windows XP.
                      In Vista and newer, MS screwed it up with their virtual folders.
                      When a virtual copy of a file exists, you often see different file contents with MS programs than with third party programs!

                      Apart from this, Notetab version 5 and newer works fine in a multi-user environment both under Windows XP and 7.
                      Your settings can be found in %appdata%. There's the only folder that needs to be saved when keeping settings when reinstalling Windows or transferring settings to another computer.

                      Alex.
                    • Sean
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013
                          The Notetab help file tells you where the ini file is located.
                          It is where it was said to be at - C:\Users\SEAN\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro
                          (SEAN would be different for the users own name on their computer)

                          Mine is 6.x version, though.
                          I had to find it to see where the files for the Quick List was written.

                          John