Re: [NTB] Text File Problem after Upload to Website

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
      Op woensdag 4 september 2013 20:17 schreef S or J:

      > After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
      > within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
      >
      > If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the
      > line breaks are still fine.
      >
      > But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
      > Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.

      You didn't explain how you uploaded the file,
      but some ftp programs convert text files to Linux format,
      in which the line breaks consist of a line feed only instead of a carriage return plus line feed.
      But usually you can let it treat all file types as binary, which means no conversion is done.

      Alex.
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
        At 9/4/2013 02:03 PM, Alex wrote:
        >Op woensdag 4 september 2013 20:17 schreef S or J:
        >> After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
        >> within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
        >>
        >> If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the
        >> line breaks are still fine.
        >>
        >> But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
        >> Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.
        >
        >You didn't explain how you uploaded the file, but some ftp programs convert text files to Linux format, in which the line breaks consist of a line feed only instead of a carriage return plus line feed. But usually you can let it treat all file types as binary, which means no conversion is done.

        Most browsers, if not all, correctly display any combinations of line terminators in text files.

        Windows Notepad does NOT acknowledge any line terminator format except the CRLF pair.

        Straight downloads of text files do not modify line termination in text files which says the file on the server does not contain CRLF line terminators.

        First make sure you are actually creating files with windows (CRLF) line terminators. Check your NTB settings (View | Options| Documents). If you are paranoid, look at your file with a hex viewer and verify the x0D, x0A pair.

        If the CRLF terminators exist in your local copy then as Alex says, the problem is in the transmission.

        Art
      • S or J
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013
          Hi Alex and Art

          Problem solved thanks to your lucid explanations and suggestions. Very
          much appreciated as this situation was stressing me out.

          I viewed the NoteTab created text files as they were saved on my
          computer with a hex viewer and they did indeed have carriage returns
          plus line feeds together. So NoteTab was not the problem, which makes
          me very happy as I love this program.

          I have been using FileZilla as my FTP program -- using its default
          automatic file transfer setting.

          I changed the file upload transfer setting to binary as Alex suggested
          and re-uploaded the test file to my website.

          Now the file displays properly in browsers and when downloaded still
          displays correct line breaks in NoteTab AND Notepad.

          I also truly thank the other fine folks here who have offered
          suggestions. This group has been the source of a great deal of
          friendly support and tips over the years.

          I will be re-uploading all the files to my site in the next couple of
          days using binary FTP settings.

          Best regards
          Steve Bachanek