Text File Problem after Upload to Website

  • S or J
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi Folks

      This is not an html problem, rather a problem with simple text files created with NoteTab Light 7.01 -- although I suspect the problem would exist with text files created by other versions of the program.

      I create simple text files in NoteTab with Default encoding and upload them to my site Machining and Metalworking at Home

      Before the upload, they are also tested with Microsoft Notepad and appear fine, with all line breaks in place.

      After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.

      If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the line breaks are still fine.

      But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.

      Never noticed this before as I assumed that a text file, created in NoteTab and tested okay in Notepad, would still be okay after an upload and then a download.

      Any ideas how the problem arises, and how the NoteTab file can be fixed before uploading so that Notepad users can save and use these files from the website? Is Notepad's Default encoding to blame?

      Very perplexing ...  want to continue using NoteTab but will have to consider an alternative if this problem is not fixable.

      Yes I know I could tell everyone to use NoteTab (and frequently do) but many visitors simply will not do so.

      regards
      Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario
    • Andy M
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
        GDay S,

        Steve, I took a look at your text files and downloaded one at random. I
        don't know why but the file as downloaded is in ANSI text but it has
        Linux formatting which probably explains the weird result in Windows
        Notepad.

        The Linux formatting changes the end of line encoding to 0A hex instead
        of the Windows formatting which is 0A 0D hex.

        This may be happening at the web server level, as I am assuming that it
        is running on a Linux system?

        --
        Regards
        Andy M

        S or J wrote:
        > Hi Folks
        > This is not an html problem, rather a problem with simple text files
        > created with NoteTab Light 7.01 -- although I suspect the problem would
        > exist with text files created by other versions of the program.
        > I create simple text files in NoteTab with Default encoding and upload
        > them to my site Machining and Metalworking at Home
        >
        > http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
        > Before the upload, they are also tested with Microsoft Notepad and
        > appear fine, with all line breaks in place.
        > After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
        > within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
        > If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the line
        > breaks are still fine.
        > But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
        > Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.
        > Never noticed this before as I assumed that a text file, created in
        > NoteTab and tested okay in Notepad, would still be okay after an upload
        > and then a download.
        > Any ideas how the problem arises, and how the NoteTab file can be fixed
        > before uploading so that Notepad users can save and use these files from
        > the website? Is Notepad's Default encoding to blame?
        > Very perplexing ... want to continue using NoteTab but will have to
        > consider an alternative if this problem is not fixable.
        > Yes I know I could tell everyone to use NoteTab (and frequently do) but
        > many visitors simply will not do so.
        > regards
        > Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
          It is a simple command to restore the standard Windows line end formatting in NoteTab. Not so easy in other tools. I get files from
          all kinds of systems, and the very first thing my clip library does is establish Windows-style line ends, and a CRLF at the end of
          the file.

          Regards,
          John

          S or J wrote:
          > Hi Folks
          > This is not an html problem, rather a problem with simple text files
          > created with NoteTab Light 7.01 -- although I suspect the problem would
          > exist with text files created by other versions of the program.
          > I create simple text files in NoteTab with Default encoding and upload
          > them to my site Machining and Metalworking at Home
          >
          > http://www.janellestudio.com/metal/
          > Before the upload, they are also tested with Microsoft Notepad and
          > appear fine, with all line breaks in place.
          > After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
          > within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
          > If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the line
          > breaks are still fine.
          > But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
          > Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.
          > Never noticed this before as I assumed that a text file, created in
          > NoteTab and tested okay in Notepad, would still be okay after an upload
          > and then a download.
          > Any ideas how the problem arises, and how the NoteTab file can be fixed
          > before uploading so that Notepad users can save and use these files from
          > the website? Is Notepad's Default encoding to blame?
          > Very perplexing ... want to continue using NoteTab but will have to
          > consider an alternative if this problem is not fixable.
          > Yes I know I could tell everyone to use NoteTab (and frequently do) but
          > many visitors simply will not do so.
          > regards
          > Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario

        • Alex Plantema
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
            Op woensdag 4 september 2013 20:17 schreef S or J:

            > After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
            > within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
            >
            > If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the
            > line breaks are still fine.
            >
            > But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
            > Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.

            You didn't explain how you uploaded the file,
            but some ftp programs convert text files to Linux format,
            in which the line breaks consist of a line feed only instead of a carriage return plus line feed.
            But usually you can let it treat all file types as binary, which means no conversion is done.

            Alex.
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
              At 9/4/2013 02:03 PM, Alex wrote:
              >Op woensdag 4 september 2013 20:17 schreef S or J:
              >> After upload to my website, that same text file can be viewed there
              >> within a visitor's browser, with all line breaks present.
              >>
              >> If I download that same text file, and look at it in NoteTab, the
              >> line breaks are still fine.
              >>
              >> But if I, or anyone, downloads that file and tries to look at it in
              >> Microsoft Notepad, the line breaks are gone and it is a jumbled mess.
              >
              >You didn't explain how you uploaded the file, but some ftp programs convert text files to Linux format, in which the line breaks consist of a line feed only instead of a carriage return plus line feed. But usually you can let it treat all file types as binary, which means no conversion is done.

              Most browsers, if not all, correctly display any combinations of line terminators in text files.

              Windows Notepad does NOT acknowledge any line terminator format except the CRLF pair.

              Straight downloads of text files do not modify line termination in text files which says the file on the server does not contain CRLF line terminators.

              First make sure you are actually creating files with windows (CRLF) line terminators. Check your NTB settings (View | Options| Documents). If you are paranoid, look at your file with a hex viewer and verify the x0D, x0A pair.

              If the CRLF terminators exist in your local copy then as Alex says, the problem is in the transmission.

              Art
            • S or J
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013
                Hi Alex and Art

                Problem solved thanks to your lucid explanations and suggestions. Very
                much appreciated as this situation was stressing me out.

                I viewed the NoteTab created text files as they were saved on my
                computer with a hex viewer and they did indeed have carriage returns
                plus line feeds together. So NoteTab was not the problem, which makes
                me very happy as I love this program.

                I have been using FileZilla as my FTP program -- using its default
                automatic file transfer setting.

                I changed the file upload transfer setting to binary as Alex suggested
                and re-uploaded the test file to my website.

                Now the file displays properly in browsers and when downloaded still
                displays correct line breaks in NoteTab AND Notepad.

                I also truly thank the other fine folks here who have offered
                suggestions. This group has been the source of a great deal of
                friendly support and tips over the years.

                I will be re-uploading all the files to my site in the next couple of
                days using binary FTP settings.

                Best regards
                Steve Bachanek