Generate Random Alphanumeric Codes

  • burtabreu
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
      Hi. I have been using Notetab Pro for several years, but mostly as an enhanced text editor and sometimes use the built in menu tools to clean stuff up. I know it is possible to do some macro like programming stuff but have never experimented.

      I will need to generate a list of 10,000 random unique alphanumeric numbers every so often here at work and was wondering if NoteTab Pro can do this and if there might be an example or an existing clip I can use?

      Thanks for your help.

      Burt
    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
        Of course. From Help:
        ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)

        ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)

        Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
        function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example

        ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî

        Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
        optionally define which characters are used in the random string that is
        generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of characters
        that limits what the function can use in its result. You can define
        ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the uppercase
        letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all digits and
        letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:

        ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176

        If you want a clip, write the clips group for help :-) so please don't
        discuss clip solutions here in general help is the rule generally.

        But in the spirit of helpfulness that group might suggest something like
        this:
        ^!Set %counter%="10000"
        :Loop
        ^!InsertText ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$^P
        ^!Dec %counter%
        ^!If "^%counter%" = "0" End ELSE Loop

        Which would take about 40 seconds to generate 10000 unique codes of 10
        characters each.

        They might also have more elegant solutions that would be faster ...
        always amazing.

        You may also need to sort random just to be sure all are unique if that
        is important, and then perhaps add additional at the end.

        I'll copy clips in case there is clip discussion to be had.

        On 8/21/2013 5:17 PM, burtabreu wrote:
        > Hi. I have been using Notetab Pro for several years, but mostly as an enhanced text editor and sometimes use the built in menu tools to clean stuff up. I know it is possible to do some macro like programming stuff but have never experimented.
        >
        > I will need to generate a list of 10,000 random unique alphanumeric numbers every so often here at work and was wondering if NoteTab Pro can do this and if there might be an example or an existing clip I can use?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Burt

      • burtabreu
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
          Thanks very much for the assistance. I just noted I posted to the wrong group - will be more careful but appreciate the friendly response.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

          > Of course. From Help:
          > ^$StrRandom(Size)$ (added in v4.84)
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(Size[;Characters])$ (added in v4.85)
          >
          > Returns a string of random characters of the specified length. This
          > function can be useful for generating random passwords. Example
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(6)$ = È$q3åî
          >
          > Starting with version 4.85, the StrRandom has been updated to let you
          > optionally define which characters are used in the random string that is
          > generated. The "Characters" parameter represents a string of characters
          > that limits what the function can use in its result. You can define
          > ranges by using "..". For example, A..Z represents all the uppercase
          > letters of the Roman alphabet; A..Za..z0..1 represents all digits and
          > letters of the Roman alphabet. Example:
          >
          > ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$ --> D744E70176
          >
          > If you want a clip, write the clips group for help :-) so please don't
          > discuss clip solutions here in general help is the rule generally.
          >
          > But in the spirit of helpfulness that group might suggest something like
          > this:
          > ^!Set %counter%="10000"
          > :Loop
          > ^!InsertText ^$StrRandom(10;A..F0..9)$^P
          > ^!Dec %counter%
          > ^!If "^%counter%" = "0" End ELSE Loop
          >
          > Which would take about 40 seconds to generate 10000 unique codes of 10
          > characters each.
          >
          > They might also have more elegant solutions that would be faster ...
          > always amazing.
          >
          > You may also need to sort random just to be sure all are unique if that
          > is important, and then perhaps add additional at the end.
          >
          > I'll copy clips in case there is clip discussion to be had.
          >

          > On 8/21/2013 5:17 PM, burtabreu wrote:
          > > Hi. I have been using Notetab Pro for several years, but mostly as an enhanced text editor and sometimes use the built in menu tools to clean stuff up. I know it is possible to do some macro like programming stuff but have never experimented.
          > >
          > > I will need to generate a list of 10,000 random unique alphanumeric numbers every so often here at work and was wondering if NoteTab Pro can do this and if there might be an example or an existing clip I can use?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Burt

        • Apometron
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
            Do you know Take Command?

            http://jpsoft.com/take-command-windows-scripting.html

            It is command processor with a powerful builtin script language.

            It can do what you are asking for.

            []s
            Rodrigo Cesar Banhara
            http://about.me/apometron

            On 21/08/2013 18:17, burtabreu wrote:
            > Hi. I have been using Notetab Pro for several years, but mostly as an enhanced text editor and sometimes use the built in menu tools to clean stuff up. I know it is possible to do some macro like programming stuff but have never experimented.
            >
            > I will need to generate a list of 10,000 random unique alphanumeric numbers every so often here at work and was wondering if NoteTab Pro can do this and if there might be an example or an existing clip I can use?
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Burt

          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
              From the site docs (what I read of them) it looks powerful but at $595
              it would take pretty serious requirements to motivate purchase. IIRC I
              had once checked out what appears to be the predecessor program NT4 but
              that was years ago.

              On 2013-08-21 18:15, Apometron wrote:
              > Do you know Take Command?
              >
              > http://jpsoft.com/take-command-windows-scripting.html
              >
              > It is command processor with a powerful builtin script language.
              >
              > It can do what you are asking for.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
                you can probably write a clip to change that 595 to 95�.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
                  It is not that expensive, it is 103 dollars in the basic licence.

                  I dont know where you did see $595 for the basic licence.

                  100 dollars it not much expensive, it is a good software,
                  it reaally is a good buy.

                  I use it everyday with scripts I did.

                  I dont know you, but I will pay the 103 dollars.

                  Have fun,
                  Rodrigo Cesar Banhara
                  http://about.me/apometron

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21, 2013
                    It is not 595 dollars, but 103 dollars.

                    The software is powerful, believe in me.

                    []s
                    Rodrigo Cesar Banhara

                    On 22/08/2013 01:17, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > you can probably write a clip to change that 595 to 95….
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > John

                  • Bob McAllister
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
                      On 22/08/2013 7:17 AM, burtabreu wrote:
                      > Hi. I have been using Notetab Pro for several years, but mostly as an enhanced text editor and sometimes use the built in menu tools to clean stuff up. I know it is possible to do some macro like programming stuff but have never experimented.
                      >
                      > I will need to generate a list of 10,000 random unique alphanumeric numbers every so often here at work and was wondering if NoteTab Pro can do this and if there might be an example or an existing clip I can use?
                      >
                      > Thanks for your help.
                      >
                      > Burt

                      Be aware that 10,000 random alphanumeric strings need not be "unique". A
                      truly random number generator will (eventually) produce the same number
                      twice.

                      You may need to apply a check mechanism to ensure that there are no
                      repeated entries in your list of 10,000 (if that is actually a
                      requirement of your use case.)

                      Bob McAllister
                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 22, 2013
                        Ooops ... re 595 price ... my bad
                        On this page on my screen http://jpsoft.com/buynow.html#MultiSystem the
                        single user price is $99 but the font made me see the leading $ as a 5
                        hence 585 :-[

                        On 2013-08-22 00:35, Apometron wrote:
                        > It is not 595 dollars, but 103 dollars.
                        >
                        > The software is powerful, believe in me.
                        >
                        > []s
                        > Rodrigo Cesar Banhara
                        >

                        > On 22/08/2013 01:17, John Shotsky wrote:
                        >> you can probably write a clip to change that 595 to 95….
                        >>
                        >> Regards,
                        >> John
                        >> RecipeTools Web Site:<http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

                      • Thomas Gruber
                        Hi, They should really fire their web site designer. Kind regards
Thomas Von meinem iPad gesendet / sent from iPad
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 23, 2013