Automated searching in external files

  • mikedavies693
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 17, 2013
      So I have a text file (name.txt)with a list of +- 200 names, tab-delimited, one name per line:
      Peter\tJones
      John\tSmith
      etc
      etc

      I want to search 200+ external files all in .tsv format with the same layout. The names might appear in more than one file.

      I can search for each name, one at a time but this is very very tedious. Can I use notetab to use the name.txt file to search the *.tsv files the list automatically, one name at a time and return all the 'hits' eg

      Home.tsv (line 254)Peter Jones 1 High St 456765
      Town.tsv (line 153) Peter Jones 3 Grant St 589786
      Home.tsv (line 359)John Smith 3 Small Rd 4566892

      The files are too big to combine and I cannot open all of them at the same time (+- 2GB in total)

      Any ideas?
    • Don
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013
        Sure, search disk is a built in function ... returns a list of files
        that match ... or you can do many other things as well.