Re: [NTB] Clip programming with NTP - How far can you go?

  • Thomas Gruber
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2013
      Hi,
      I think you better look at the Notetab Clips and Notetab Scripts groups - this group is mostly for basic features (there are lots!) - but not about the programming power of NTP.
      Kind regards
      Thomas

      Am 12.08.2013 um 15:22PM schrieb Gerard Lally <lists@...>:

      > As someone relatively new to NTP I can certainly see how powerful and
      > extensible the software is.
      >
      > Before I delve too deeply into clip programming I would like to know
      > how far it is possible to go. What are the biggest and most complex
      > projects you have created with NTP? There's no need to go into detail;
      > just a brief summary will do.
      >
      > I am asking because I am curious to know if something like Org-mode in
      > Emacs could be programmed in NTP. Of course I do understand something
      > similar in NTP would never match something programmed in Lisp, but some
      > of your most complex creations might help me to better understand NTP's
      > potential and limitations. I think my mental block about this software
      > is a lack of imagination as to its capabilities (beyond what is already
      > available in the supplied libraries), so I would like you to fire my
      > imagination with an overall picture of what is possible, and a short
      > summary of complex and major projects you have created in NTP.
      >
      > --
      > Gerard Lally

      Kind regards
      Thomas (computerhusky)

    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2013
        Monday, August 12, 2013, 2:22:50 PM, Gerard Lally wrote:

        GL> Before I delve too deeply into clip programming I would like to
        GL> know how far it is possible to go. What are the biggest and most
        GL> complex projects you have created with NTP?

        There are several excellent clip programmers, especially active in the
        related Notetab Clips Group (ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com), and their
        talent bewilders me. But, how complex does your clip programming need
        to be? In some cases it might be easier or more efficient to use AWK
        or PERL scripts, both of which are supported by Notetab. There's a
        third Yahoo! Group Notetab scripts (ntb-scripts@yahoogroups.com) for
        those. It's perfectly possible to combine scripts with native Notetab
        commands, i.e. run a script from a clip that itself contains clip
        commands.

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • Gerard Lally
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2013
          On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:48:12 +0200
          Thomas Gruber <computerhusky@...> wrote:
          > Hi,

          > I think you better look at the Notetab Clips and Notetab Scripts
          > groups - this group is mostly for basic features (there are lots!) -
          > but not about the programming power of NTP.

          Hi Thomas,

          I did consider posting to the Clips group, but I feel that Clips is
          for specific queries, while my question has more to do with a general
          overview. Perhaps you are right though, and I will post it there instead.

          Thank you.

          > Am 12.08.2013 um 15:22PM schrieb Gerard Lally <lists@...>:
          >
          > > As someone relatively new to NTP I can certainly see how powerful and
          > > extensible the software is.
          > >
          > > Before I delve too deeply into clip programming I would like to know
          > > how far it is possible to go. What are the biggest and most complex
          > > projects you have created with NTP? There's no need to go into detail;
          > > just a brief summary will do.
          > >
          > > I am asking because I am curious to know if something like Org-mode in
          > > Emacs could be programmed in NTP. Of course I do understand something
          > > similar in NTP would never match something programmed in Lisp, but some
          > > of your most complex creations might help me to better understand NTP's
          > > potential and limitations. I think my mental block about this software
          > > is a lack of imagination as to its capabilities (beyond what is already
          > > available in the supplied libraries), so I would like you to fire my
          > > imagination with an overall picture of what is possible, and a short
          > > summary of complex and major projects you have created in NTP.
          > >
          > > --
          > > Gerard Lally
          > >

          > Kind regards
          > Thomas (computerhusky)

          Gerard Lally
        • Mick Housel
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2013
            If you haven't yet joined the clips group, here's a link to do so

            (Yahoo! ID required)

            Mick

            On 08.12.13 06:22 AM, Gerard Lally wrote:
            > As someone relatively new to NTP I can certainly see how powerful and
            > extensible the software is.
            >
            > Before I delve too deeply into clip programming I would like to know
            > how far it is possible to go. What are the biggest and most complex
            > projects you have created with NTP? There's no need to go into detail;
            > just a brief summary will do.
            >
            > I am asking because I am curious to know if something like Org-mode in
            > Emacs could be programmed in NTP. Of course I do understand something
            > similar in NTP would never match something programmed in Lisp, but some
            > of your most complex creations might help me to better understand NTP's
            > potential and limitations. I think my mental block about this software
            > is a lack of imagination as to its capabilities (beyond what is already
            > available in the supplied libraries), so I would like you to fire my
            > imagination with an overall picture of what is possible, and a short
            > summary of complex and major projects you have created in NTP.

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12, 2013
              There really isn't much you can't do in NoteTab, since it combines both a programming language and powerful regex. Lisp is meant to process lists, and that can be done with NoteTab. Emacs is a text editor, with macros. NoteTab is a text editor with something similar to macros but you can string thousands of then together to process a text file. It is NOT a Unicode editor, so if that is a requirement, you will not be happy with the results. I convert all the characters above 128 to UTF-8 notation, process files, and then convert them back. A little unwieldy, but workable.

              So, if that answers any questions, great. If you still have questions, you may want to provide more specifics about what you would like to do.

              Regards,
              John