NTP 7 hangs while starting

  • amitava_dg
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2013
      A strange problem started happening a few days ago. When starting
      Notetab Pro the window does not open. The task manager shows that NTP is
      indeed running, and consuming a large amount of memory. My system is
      Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with 4 gb RAM and Intel Core Duo CPU. I have
      tried uninstalling ans reinstalling the program, to no avail. Today
      after finding Eric's response to a similar post but about Windows 8, I
      deleted all the entries in the notepro.ini file and inserted the
      following:

      [Options]
      ShowSplashScreen=0

      However that didn't work either. By the way, with no ini file, in the
      Appdata\Roaming\NoteTab Pro folder, I do get a splash screen, but
      nothing further. There is no problem with NoteTab Standard which
      continues to work.
      I had been running NoteTab 7 since last September, and indeed older
      versions for years, and this is the first time something like this has
      happened.
      I would be grateful for any help.

      Amitava
      amitavadg@... <mailto://amitavadg@...>

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
        A few things come to mind�
        One is that Avast has been giving a lot of problems for a lot of people by blocking certain programs. If you have Avast, you might
        try running NoteTab with Avast shut down.
        Microsoft does regular updates - sometimes, those updates affect security. You could try running NoteTab as an administrator.
        I do not use NoteTab in the C:\Program Files location, because I like NoteTab to keep all its files together with NoteTab, and you
        can't do that in the stock installation, for Vista or newer. So, I install in C:\NoteTab Pro, and bring the .ini file together with
        NoteTab too. You have to edit the .ini file with a different editor to set the registry and User files sections to 0, then save,
        then it will use a local copy of the .ini file. Once all that is done, Windows will no longer have an affect on how NoteTab runs, or
        what files it can modify in its own folders. For example, all my clips are in the Libraries folder of NoteTAb. You can't do that if
        you use the normal install and then try to modify them - they will be moved to the shadow store instead, which is a hidden folder.
        So then you have to unhide the folder, and dig around to access your current clip library.
        Here are the sections to edit.
        UseRegistry=0
        UseProfileFolder=0
        While you're at it, if you have it set to open the same files as when it was closed down, you might edit that history out too, in
        case it is hanging trying to open something that is damaged.

        Lastly, I'd get RevoUninstaller (free version) and use that to uninstall NoteTab. It will first run the native uninstall, and then
        it will go find other vestiges of the program and remove those too. It is a much more thorough uninstall than most programs provide.
        Then, after verifying the old folders are empty and gone, try installing in a new location, especially out of Microsoft's clutches.
        Of course you should back up any files you want to keep.

        I guess one last thing I would mention is that you can't edit NotePro.ini with Notetab, because it is cached in memory, and writes
        itself back out upon closing. So you have to do your edits with NoteTab shut down, using a different editor. I use EditPad Pro, the
        free version, for lots of things that NoteTab can't do, such as editing Unicode files, editing hex files, etc. And editing NoteTab's
        .ini file.
        Regards,
        John

[...]

        amitavadg@... <mailto:amitavadg%40gmail.com> <mailto://amitavadg@...>

      • Amitava Das Gupta
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
          Hello John,

          Thank you for your prompt response. I will definitely be trying out some of
          the things you have mentioned (it's rather a long list [?]), however, couple
          of things I can resolve right away.
          1. I don't have Avast. I use AVG Internet security.
          2. NTP has been running normally for 10 months or so. I suspect it must be
          due to some Windows update or something that has been installed on the
          machine during the last week or so.
          3. Your suggestion about not using the "shadow folder" is promising. It
          used to be the default a few versions ago, as I am sure, you remember. in
          fact that should not be a problem as I am the only one who uses it. So
          separate profile folders are not necessary.
          4. I will use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall and remove all traces,
          reinstall and move the notepro.ini to the program folder.

          Keep you posted about the result.

          Amitava Das Gupta
          amitavadg@...

        • Andy M
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
            GDay Amitava,

            Forget about Revo uninstaller it is not needed. It is a good program
            though and worth using if you choose to.

            I do recommend that you ditch AVG completely in favour of Microsoft
            Security Essentials. These days, there is no real virus prevention as
            all virus programs are only effective AFTER you have a virus/malware on
            your system. So why jam up the works with unnecessary rubbish. MSE is
            only for Win7 or earlier, it is built-in in Windows 8 or later.

            Notetab installs files to the following places:

            on an x86 installation:
            C:\Programs Files\Notetab 7

            on an x64 installation:
            C:\Program Files (x86)\Notetab 7

            And it adds two shortcut files to the desktop. That's it, no other files
            are installed.

            In the Windows registry you will find the following entries:

            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\OpenWithList\NotePro.exe]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\OpenWithList\NoteTab.exe]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe]
            "FriendlyAppName"="NoteTab Pro"
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\edit]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NoteTab 7\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NoteTab 7\\NotePro.exe\" \"%1\""
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NotePro.exe\SupportedTypes]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe]
            "FriendlyAppName"="NoteTab Std"
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\shell]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\shell\edit]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NoteTab 7\\NoteTab.exe\" \"%1\""
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\shell\open]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\NoteTab 7\\NoteTab.exe\" \"%1\""
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\NoteTab.exe\SupportedTypes]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
            Paths\NotePro.exe]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
            Paths\NoteTab.exe]
            [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NoteTab
            7_is1]

            Remove the above entries using regedit.exe and Notetab is completely
            uninstalled.

            You can find regedit.exe by clicking on the start button and typing
            regedit into the search box, double click on regedit.exe in the list.

            After you have removed NoteTab completely, open a CMD window (click on
            start button and type CMD in the search box, double click the CMD.exe in
            the list). Then in the CMD window type the following:

            SFC /scannow

            Note the two 'n's. You will need to have your Windows installation disk
            handy as the above command scans all of the Windows installation files
            for errors and replaces critical system files from the DVD. If you don't
            have the DVD but the installation files are on your computer already
            (Most brand name computers have them on a separate partition) then you
            will not need the DVD.

            When that has finished, reboot and then reinstall NoteTab and see if
            runs normally.

            Let us know how you get on.

            --
            Regards
            Andy M

            Amitava Das Gupta wrote:
            > Hello John,
            >
            > Thank you for your prompt response. I will definitely be trying out some of
            > the things you have mentioned (it's rather a long list [?]), however, couple
            > of things I can resolve right away.
            > 1. I don't have Avast. I use AVG Internet security.
            > 2. NTP has been running normally for 10 months or so. I suspect it must be
            > due to some Windows update or something that has been installed on the
            > machine during the last week or so.
            > 3. Your suggestion about not using the "shadow folder" is promising. It
            > used to be the default a few versions ago, as I am sure, you remember. in
            > fact that should not be a problem as I am the only one who uses it. So
            > separate profile folders are not necessary.
            > 4. I will use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall and remove all traces,
            > reinstall and move the notepro.ini to the program folder.
            >
            > Keep you posted about the result.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Amitava Das Gupta
            > amitavadg@... <mailto:amitavadg%40gmail.com>
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
              At 8/8/2013 04:33 AM, John wrote:
              >I guess one last thing I would mention is that you can't edit NotePro.ini with Notetab, because it is cached in memory, and writes itself back out upon closing. So you have to do your edits with NoteTab shut down, using a different editor. I use EditPad Pro, the free version, for lots of things that NoteTab can't do, such as editing Unicode files, editing hex files, etc. And editing NoteTab's .ini file.

              Au contraire!!! You most certainly can - and easily - edit Notetab's ini files with Notetab. I do it all the time.

              The simplest way is to just save it with a different name after your edit, close Notetab and copy the saved file to the active Notetab ini file name. Do this from a fresh start on Notetab and the only thing you lose is the ini edit session.

              A more complex way would be to (1) save the current memory image to disk with the ^!ProgIniSave command, (2) load, edit and save the disk image without changing its name, and then (3) refresh the memory image from the edited image with the ^!ProgIniLoad command.

              However, although the ^!ProgIniSave command works fine (and can be verified), the ^!ProgIniLoad command is buggy and fails to reset in-memory user options. This is too bad as it would be useful if the command worked.

              Art
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2013
                Hi Art,

                On 08 Aug 13 21:49 Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said:
                > The simplest way is to just save it with a different name after your
                > edit, close Notetab and copy the saved file to the active Notetab
                > ini file name. Do this from a fresh start on Notetab and the only
                > thing you lose is the ini edit session.

                There's a still simpler method that you've forgotten about...

                From: Help > Tips and how to

                If you are very familiar with INI files, you can edit NoteTab's own
                INI file like any other document. To have your changes taken into
                account when you reopen NoteTab, you must rename the file by adding an
                exclamation mark in front of the name (e.g. !NoteTab.INI). Next time
                you run NoteTab, the content of the renamed INI file will be used.

                Greg
              • Jeffery Scism
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 11, 2013
                  NTP used to hang on every start when I was using Win8, THAT was the
                  specific reason I dumped Win8 and went back to Win 7. NoteTab is THAT
                  important to what I do.

                  Jeff
                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12, 2013
                    At 8/11/2013 06:26 AM, Jeff wrote:
                    >NTP used to hang on every start when I was using Win8, THAT was the
                    >specific reason I dumped Win8 and went back to Win 7. NoteTab is THAT
                    >important to what I do.

                    Never buy an even numbered version/incarnation of windows:

                    Win 3 Good for its time
                    Win 95 So So
                    Win 98 Good
                    Win 98 ME Poor
                    Win 5 (XP) Quite Good
                    Win 6 (Vista) Disaster
                    Win 7 Good
                    Win 8 Catastrophe

                    And the even one are getting worse with each release.
                    Dump your MS stock before they release version 10!

                    Art
                  • Marcelo Bastos
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12, 2013
                      Interviewed by CNN on 12/08/2013 08:11, Art Kocsis told the world:
                      > Never buy an even numbered version/incarnation of windows:
                      >
                      > Win 3 Good for its time
                      > Win 95 So So
                      > Win 98 Good
                      > Win 98 ME Poor
                      > Win 5 (XP) Quite Good
                      > Win 6 (Vista) Disaster
                      > Win 7 Good
                      > Win 8 Catastrophe
                      >
                      > And the even one are getting worse with each release.
                      > Dump your MS stock before they release version 10!

                      Well, yes, Microsoft has had a number of notable failures. But you
                      skipped a few notable versions, and your definition of "odd" and "even"
                      is troublesome:

                      Win 3.0 - Good for its time
                      Windows for Workgroups 3.1 - Useful add-ons like multimedia and networking
                      Windows 95 (4.0) - New UI, useful features, generally OK
                      Windows 98 (4.1) - Bloated with useless garbage
                      Windows 98 SE (4.1.2222) - Mostly fixed
                      Windows ME (4.9) - Absolute crap
                      Windows 2000 (5.0) - Surprisingly good; the last time the first
                      iteration of a major Windows version worked well (actually came out
                      *before* WinME)
                      Windows XP (5.1) - Improved innards, dumbed-down UI designed by a team
                      from Fisher-Price and Playskool while watching Teletubbies
                      Windows Vista (6.0) - Bloated, buggy, crappy
                      Windows 7 (6.1 actually) - Good
                      Windows 8 (6.2 actually) - Slightly improved innards, disastrous UI
                      Windows 8.1 "Blue" (6.3 actually) - Attempt to fix the UI; to me, it
                      appears to be too little, too late

                      So, which are "odd" and which are "even?" By my reckoning, at least four
                      even versions (3.0, 4.0, 4.1.2222 and 5.0) were quite good, and I don't
                      hold much hope for 6.3/8.1, which would be counted as "odd". And the
                      first major disaster (Windows ME) had an odd version number.

                      Yeah, it's easier with Star Trek movies...

                      --
                      MCBastos

                      -=-=-
                      ... Sent from my MaxiPad.