Novice

  • cmhall46
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
      I built my first web page with notetab free version and used "PageTutor' to learn the ropes.
      I downloaded Note Tab Pro and I cannot get my documents to open in this format, which I have always used, below.
      I need help on what I am doing wrong. I am 67 years young and need s plan English answer as to why my example below will not open my doc. anymore.
      I have them filed in the same folder as my html page
      Please help m
      Carolyn

      <TABLE BORDER="1" ALIGN="left"
      <TR>
      <TD>

      <P ALIGN="left"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE="5">
      <A HREF="Welcome Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A></TD>
      </UL>
      </TD>
      </TR>
      </TABLE>
    • Andy M
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
        GDay carolyn,

        You have the .docx file listed correctly but you don't have it's address
        listed. It should look something like this:

        <A HREF="www.mywebsite.com/Welcome Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A>

        If the file is located inside a folder on your website it should look
        something like this:

        <A HREF="www.mywebsite.com/myfolder/Welcome Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A>

        HTH

        --
        Regards
        Andy M

        cmhall46 wrote:

        > I built my first web page with notetab free version and used "PageTutor'
        > to learn the ropes.
        > I downloaded Note Tab Pro and I cannot get my documents to open in this
        > format, which I have always used, below.
        > I need help on what I am doing wrong. I am 67 years young and need s
        > plan English answer as to why my example below will not open my doc.
        > anymore.
        > I have them filed in the same folder as my html page
        > Please help m
        > Carolyn
        >
        > <TABLE BORDER="1" ALIGN="left"
        > <TR>
        > <TD>
        >
        > <P ALIGN="left"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE="5">
        > <A HREF="Welcome Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A></TD>
        > </UL>
        > </TD>
        > </TR>
        > </TABLE>
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
          Interviewed by CNN on 05/08/2013 14:04, cmhall46 told the world:
          > I built my first web page with notetab free version and used "PageTutor' to learn the ropes.
          > I downloaded Note Tab Pro and I cannot get my documents to open in this format, which I have always used, below.
          > I need help on what I am doing wrong. I am 67 years young and need s plan English answer as to why my example below will not open my doc. anymore.
          > I have them filed in the same folder as my html page
          > Please help m
          > Carolyn
          >
          > <TABLE BORDER="1" ALIGN="left"
          > <TR>
          > <TD>
          >

          > <P ALIGN="left"><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE="5">
          > <A HREF="Welcome Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A></TD>
          > </UL>
          > </TD>
          > </TR>
          > </TABLE>

          Part of the problem probably is that you have spaces in your filename.
          Filenames / URLs with spaces aren't supposed to include spaces (or a
          number of other characters, for that matter), and need to be "escaped"
          -- that is, you replace them with special codes that are eventually
          converted back to spaces, when the the program will actually look for
          the file on disk.

          In this particular case, you should use "<A
          HREF=Welcome%20Letter.docx">Welcome Letter</A>

          A good general hint is to use some service to check your HTML code for
          issues. I normally use HTMLTidy (which is a small program that can be
          invoked from inside NoteTab) for initial debugging and, for a final
          pass, one of the various online HTML validators, such as the W3C HTML
          Validator at http://validator.w3.org/

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Sinclair ZX81.
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
            For starts you need a new tutor.  Tables went out of style about 10 years ago and also inline styles including fonts.  Keep the markup simple and style your page with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) in an external file linked to you page.  And as to sizing fonts . . . take a look at this:

            http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?309991-Universal-Font-Sizing

            Might be TMI but try to digest it and get up to date on current practices.

            And yes you need the full path to the file and to eliminate all spaces in document names. Happy designing!

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2013
              And html should not be in caps. Since it is a learning experience, it might be good to perform a google search on 'best practices'
              for html, because, trust me, you will eventually revisit your early code and convert it to be more 'current' in style. I wrote a
              clip library with no function other than to lower case the html tags. It drives me crazy.

              Regards,
              John

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 6, 2013
                John Shotsky wrote:
                >And html should not be in caps.

                Why not if the OP likes it? It can be camel case if that's what's
                preferred. XHTML can't, but HTML (including HTML5) can.

                Sidenote: Now I write everything in lower case. But I started out
                writing element names in upper and attributes in lower case because I
                thought it was clearer. I still think it is, but it's faster to type
                all lower case.

                Regarding the link problem, while the space shouldn't be there, all
                (fairly modern) browsers I have mend that mistake, but I don't have
                an IE newer than 7, so maybe that's it.

                Lotta
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 7, 2013
                  At 8/6/2013 12:28 PM, Lotta wrote:
                  >John Shotsky wrote:
                  >>And html should not be in caps.
                  >
                  >Why not if the OP likes it? It can be camel case if that's what's
                  >preferred. XHTML can't, but HTML (including HTML5) can.
                  >
                  >Sidenote: Now I write everything in lower case. But I started out
                  >writing element names in upper and attributes in lower case because I
                  >thought it was clearer. I still think it is, but it's faster to type
                  >all lower case.
                  >
                  >Regarding the link problem, while the space shouldn't be there, all
                  >(fairly modern) browsers I have mend that mistake, but I don't have
                  >an IE newer than 7, so maybe that's it.

                  Actually, I would go a few steps further: I think any language designer that makes variables or keywords case sensitive ought to be burned in hell! SLOWLY!

                  I can only guess at the untold man hours lost or bugs caused by unmatched cases in names. And it is totally unnecessary. One can make over 2 BILLION unique 6 character words using only 36 characters. That ought to be enough even for bloatware artists.

                  Also, like you, I tend to write my HTML tags in upper case so they will stand out from the other attributes and javascript. Every little bit helps to clarify the structure and to separate code from content, especially when the content of Javascript is HTML code.

                  While technically the W3C specs calls for encoding spaces and other special characters used in a link, I know of no common or modern browser that would even burp on them - not even IE.

                  Art