Re: [NTB] Re: wish to intall Note Tab light on USB. do not have admin password / only PC user

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
      At 7/9/2013 07:29 AM, Subu wrote:
      >My sincere thanks to you and all those who took time out and answered ....
      >
      >To clarify where I am ...what I assume / where I MAY be wrong .....
      >
      >My present status
      >
      >1. just 1 machine
      >2. on that machine NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
      >3. Win 7 machine
      >
      >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos.....
      >> Windows in its default settings
      >> (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
      >> to run executables.
      >that is MY present status. NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
      ><snip>
      >> Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
      >> whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
      >> <http://www.portableapps.com>http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
      >> half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
      >> Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
      >> version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
      >> the works.
      ><snip>
      >> The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
      >> while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
      >> drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
      >> trace behind.
      <snip>
      >> Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
      >> been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
      >> you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
      >> correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
      >> later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
      >> really remember the details, though.
      >
      >are you saying install it first with some other machine on a USB and then use that USB ??

      If you can do an install to USB via another machine that would be preferred. But unless it is a USB aware install you still have some file copying to do.

      Alternatively, since Notetab is pretty registry agnostic, just copy your present NTB installation folder to the USB. Go to your user area and copy your NTB user folder to the USB as well (in a separate folder from the NTB folder). Create a batch (CMD) file in the root of the USB that will sense the USB's drive letter and call NTB using the INI switch (see below).

      For example, say you put Notetab in the \NTB_Appl folder and your user data in \NTB_Data. Put all the support folders under the NTB_Data folder: \Libraries, favorites, etc. Copy your NTB INI file to the NTB_Data folder. The Notetab .exe, .fpr & .ini files all have to have the same name (Named NotetabUSB in the example below)

      At a minimum, you will need these folders and [files]:
      NTB_Appl [NotetabUSB.exe]
      .. Dictionaries [Whatever dictionaries you use]
      NTB_Data [NotetabUSB.ini, NotetabUSB.fpr]
      .. Libraries [Cliplibs & Icon files]
      .. Favorites [if used]
      .. Spelling [if used]
      .. Templates [if used]

      You probably will want to include the help files (*.chm), in the NTB_Appl folder. Copy the other "helpful" files (tips, glossary, readme, etc) if you use them.

      Create NotetabUSB.cmd in the USB root folder with the content below. Note: the "For" statement is a long line. To run Notetab just double click on the CMD file. [If the USB drive is always the same drive letter, you could hard code it and just use the one line.

      Enjoy, Art

      <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Start of CMD file >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      :Command File for running Notetab on USB 07-10-13/ARK

      Set USB=
      For %%L in (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO If Exist "%%L:\NTB_Appl\NoteTabUSB.exe" Set USB=%%L:
      If [%USB%]==[] GoTo Error

      @Echo Found USB Drive Letter = [%USB%]
      Start "" %USB%\NTB_Appl\NoteTabUSB.exe /USER="%USB%\NTB_Data\" /INI=NoteTabUSB /USB
      Exit

      :Error
      @Echo Error: Drive letter not found, exiting
      @Pause