wish to intall Note Tab light on USB. do not have admin password / only PC user

  • Subu S
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
      Dear List members

      Good day to you

      * I have a Win 7 PC
      * I do NOT have the admin password
      * I am a user of the PC ..i.e. I have a user password
      * I wish to install and use note tab light on my USB
      * Presently I have downloaded the exe file to my USB, and when I try to install the exe file the computer is asking for the PC's admin password
      * also pl note my USb has no password or locks
      * Is it possible to install and run note tab entirely from the USB ?

      * I hate to leave Note Tab and go elesewhere, but IF installation (without admin password) is just not possible, as an alternative are there any other text editors with the following features that I can run from my USB
      * something like the Control J in N. Tab - join lines
      * .... Control Q - quote lines
      * .... Control R - search and replace
      * bsdic HTML - just font, with font size

      thanks in advance
      regards

      Subu
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
        Sorry, I doubt you will find an editor or any other kind of executable, that would install as you want.

        Running NoteTab, or any other executable from a USB drive poses a serious security threat, so it would require administrative access each time you launch the executable.

        If you have an NTFS-formatted USB drive, an administrator could install it there with the necessary permissions to let you run it without password, but this does not reduce the security threat by much, if you (the same user that has permissions to run executables from the USB drive) had write access to the drive. Such a request would probably be denied.

        You might have an easier time to convince your administrator to install NoteTab on the hard disk in the first place.

        Eb

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Subu S" <mail_to_subu@...> wrote:

        > Dear List members
        >
        > Good day to you
        >
        > * I have a Win 7 PC
        > * I do NOT have the admin password
        > * I am a user of the PC ..i.e. I have a user password
        > * I wish to install and use note tab light on my USB
        > * Presently I have downloaded the exe file to my USB, and when I try to install the exe file the computer is asking for the PC's admin password
        > * also pl note my USb has no password or locks
        > * Is it possible to install and run note tab entirely from the USB ?
        >

        > * I hate to leave Note Tab and go elesewhere, but IF installation (without admin password) is just not possible, as an alternative are there any other text editors with the following features that I can run from my USB
        > * something like the Control J in N. Tab - join lines
        > * .... Control Q - quote lines
        > * .... Control R - search and replace
        > * bsdic HTML - just font, with font size
        >

        > thanks in advance
        > regards
        >
        > Subu

      • skalynuik
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
          NoteTab in general can run from a usb drive, I just installed NoteTab to my home PC, and copied that directory to my usb and run the NoteTab.exe file when I want to run the program. If I remember right the NoteTab.ini file contains:
          [Application]
          UseRegistry=0 <-- No write to registry
          UseProfileFolder=0 <-- No user folder but stored in main dir of exe
          Version=6200
          PollForNews=0 <-- Check for updates
          CloseToTray=0
          DisactivateToTray=0
          IconInTray=0
          USB=1 <-- Run in USB mode

          Disregard <-- and beyond per line those are just explanations.
          You can still set directory where your files are in the preferences.

          Under the options part when you use the preferences:
          DefaultOpenDir=H:\LiberKey\MyApps\NoteTab Pro-Port\Documents
          DefaultSaveDir=K:\MyStuff\my_websites\_communityarchitect
          TemplateOpenDir=H:\LiberKey\MyApps\NoteTab Pro-Port\Templates
          TemplateSaveDir=H:\LiberKey\MyApps\NoteTab Pro-Port\Templates
          LinksOpenDir=H:\LiberKey\MyApps\NoteTab Pro-Port\Documents

          Example only above>

          If I am wrong in this I am sorry, but it works for my at internet cafe's and public libraries where I use public computers.

          I hope this helps.
          Steve

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > Sorry, I doubt you will find an editor or any other kind of executable, that would install as you want.
          >
          > Running NoteTab, or any other executable from a USB drive poses a serious security threat, so it would require administrative access each time you launch the executable.
          >
          > If you have an NTFS-formatted USB drive, an administrator could install it there with the necessary permissions to let you run it without password, but this does not reduce the security threat by much, if you (the same user that has permissions to run executables from the USB drive) had write access to the drive. Such a request would probably be denied.
          >
          > You might have an easier time to convince your administrator to install NoteTab on the hard disk in the first place.
          >

          > Eb
          >

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Subu S" <mail_to_subu@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear List members
          > >
          > > Good day to you
          > >
          > > * I have a Win 7 PC
          > > * I do NOT have the admin password
          > > * I am a user of the PC ..i.e. I have a user password
          > > * I wish to install and use note tab light on my USB
          > > * Presently I have downloaded the exe file to my USB, and when I try to install the exe file the computer is asking for the PC's admin password
          > > * also pl note my USb has no password or locks
          > > * Is it possible to install and run note tab entirely from the USB ?
          > >

          > > * I hate to leave Note Tab and go elesewhere, but IF installation (without admin password) is just not possible, as an alternative are there any other text editors with the following features that I can run from my USB
          > > * something like the Control J in N. Tab - join lines
          > > * .... Control Q - quote lines
          > > * .... Control R - search and replace
          > > * bsdic HTML - just font, with font size
          > >

          > > thanks in advance
          > > regards
          > >
          > > Subu

        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
            Interviewed by CNN on 08/07/2013 11:16, Eb told the world:
            > Sorry, I doubt you will find an editor or any other kind of executable, that would install as you want.
            >
            > Running NoteTab, or any other executable from a USB drive poses a serious security threat, so it would require administrative access each time you launch the executable.

            Eb, sorry but you are very, very wrong. Windows in its default settings
            (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
            to run executables. It might be possible to lock it up to that extent,
            but it would take a lot of effort from the admins, and it probably would
            have unforeseen side-effects.

            Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
            whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
            http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
            half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
            Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
            version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
            the works. The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
            while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
            drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
            trace behind. (Another good place to look at is the Portable Freeware
            Collection at http://www.portablefreeware.com )

            Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
            been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
            you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
            correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
            later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
            really remember the details, though.

            --
            MCBastos

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my Atari ST.
          • Al Guevara
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
              Damn!

              http://www.notetab.com/faq-installing.php

              On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Interviewed by CNN on 08/07/2013 11:16, Eb told the world:
              > > Sorry, I doubt you will find an editor or any other kind of executable,
              > that would install as you want.
              > >
              > > Running NoteTab, or any other executable from a USB drive poses a
              > serious security threat, so it would require administrative access each
              > time you launch the executable.
              >
              > Eb, sorry but you are very, very wrong. Windows in its default settings
              > (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
              > to run executables. It might be possible to lock it up to that extent,
              > but it would take a lot of effort from the admins, and it probably would
              > have unforeseen side-effects.
              >
              > Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
              > whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
              > http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
              > half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
              > Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
              > version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
              > the works. The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
              > while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
              > drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
              > trace behind. (Another good place to look at is the Portable Freeware
              > Collection at http://www.portablefreeware.com )
              >
              > Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
              > been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
              > you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
              > correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
              > later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
              > really remember the details, though.
              >
              > --
              > MCBastos
              >
              > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized
              > use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
              > -=-=-
              > ... Sent from my Atari ST.
              > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.17 *
              > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

            • Subu S
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Al Guevara <al@...> wrote:

                > Damn!
                >
                > http://www.notetab.com/faq-installing.php

                My sincere thanks to you and all those who took time out and answered ....

                To clarify where I am ...what I assume / where I MAY be wrong .....

                1. I need admin pw to "install" programms, NOT just to "invoke" programs **that do not need** installation

                2. but IF the notetab installer, NEEDS installation, alas I have lost

                3. that was my experience so far ..... i.e. download installer to USB, double click installer, it tries to "install" NOT run Notetab

                4. am I missing something ?

                5. I have just one computer at the moment. this computer needs an admin pw to install any program on it

                ------

                TIA
                regards

                subu
              • Subu S
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
                  My sincere thanks to you and all those who took time out and answered ....

                  To clarify where I am ...what I assume / where I MAY be wrong .....

                  My present status

                  1. just 1 machine
                  2. on that machine NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
                  3. Win 7 machine

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos.....

                  > Windows in its default settings
                  > (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
                  > to run executables.

                  that is MY present status. NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install

                  > It might be possible to lock it up to that extent,
                  > but it would take a lot of effort from the admins, and it probably would
                  > have unforeseen side-effects.

                  agree. just imagine opening and closing MS XL and calling your admin everytime to do it !!

                  > Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
                  > whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
                  > http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
                  > half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
                  > Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
                  > version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
                  > the works.

                  super input

                  Yes. I was referred to the same place by another user .... (probably you ??) .... I've downloaded Notepad++ and trying it...but still prefer Notetab !!

                  > The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
                  > while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
                  > drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
                  > trace behind.

                  are you talking of portable aaps ?? or?

                  > (Another good place to look at is the Portable Freeware
                  > Collection at http://www.portablefreeware.com )

                  thanks again

                  > Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
                  > been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
                  > you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
                  > correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
                  > later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
                  > really remember the details, though.

                  are you saying install it first with some other machine on a USB and then use that USB ??

                  --------------

                  TIA for further answers & regards
                  subu

                  > --
                  > MCBastos
                  >
                  > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
                  > -=-=-
                  > ... Sent from my Atari ST.
                  > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.17 *
                  > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

                • Thomas Gruber
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
                    Hi,

                    > are you saying install it first with some other machine on a USB and then use that USB ??

                    Yes - if you have no chance to run the install on your machine, you can run the installation on another machine, if you can get hold of a machine where the installation is possible. You can then safely take the USB drive, plug it into your own machine, and run notetab from that.
                    Thomas

                    Am 09.07.2013 um 16:29PM schrieb Subu S <mail_to_subu@...>:

                    > My sincere thanks to you and all those who took time out and answered ....
                    >
                    > To clarify where I am ...what I assume / where I MAY be wrong .....
                    >
                    > My present status
                    >
                    > 1. just 1 machine
                    > 2. on that machine NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
                    > 3. Win 7 machine
                    >
                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos.....
                    >
                    > > Windows in its default settings
                    > > (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
                    > > to run executables.
                    >
                    > that is MY present status. NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
                    >
                    > > It might be possible to lock it up to that extent,
                    > > but it would take a lot of effort from the admins, and it probably would
                    > > have unforeseen side-effects.
                    > >

                    > agree. just imagine opening and closing MS XL and calling your admin everytime to do it !!
                    >
                    > > Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
                    > > whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
                    > > http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
                    > > half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
                    > > Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
                    > > version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
                    > > the works.
                    >
                    > super input
                    >
                    > Yes. I was referred to the same place by another user .... (probably you ??) .... I've downloaded Notepad++ and trying it...but still prefer Notetab !!
                    >
                    > > The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
                    > > while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
                    > > drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
                    > > trace behind.
                    >
                    > are you talking of portable aaps ?? or?
                    >
                    > > (Another good place to look at is the Portable Freeware
                    > > Collection at http://www.portablefreeware.com )
                    > >

                    > thanks again
                    >
                    > > Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
                    > > been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
                    > > you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
                    > > correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
                    > > later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
                    > > really remember the details, though.
                    > >

                    > are you saying install it first with some other machine on a USB and then use that USB ??
                    >
                    > --------------
                    >
                    > TIA for further answers & regards
                    > subu
                    >
                    > > --
                    > > MCBastos
                    > >
                    > > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
                    > > -=-=-
                    > > ... Sent from my Atari ST.
                    > > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.17 *
                    > > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

                    Kind regards
                    Thomas (computerhusky)

                  • Art Kocsis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
                      At 7/9/2013 07:29 AM, Subu wrote:
                      >My sincere thanks to you and all those who took time out and answered ....
                      >
                      >To clarify where I am ...what I assume / where I MAY be wrong .....
                      >
                      >My present status
                      >
                      >1. just 1 machine
                      >2. on that machine NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
                      >3. Win 7 machine
                      >
                      >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos.....
                      >> Windows in its default settings
                      >> (even in corporate domains) does not require administrative permissions
                      >> to run executables.
                      >that is MY present status. NO PW needed just to run, but PW needed to install
                      ><snip>
                      >> Not only it's possible to run executable from the USB, but there are
                      >> whole application suites set up to do that. Look up Portable Apps at
                      >> <http://www.portableapps.com>http://www.portableapps.com , for instance Not only do they have about
                      >> half a dozen different plaintext/programming editors (similar to
                      >> Notetab) available, but there's even *an entire office suite* -- yes, a
                      >> version of LibreOffice, with word processor, spreadsheet, presentation,
                      >> the works.
                      ><snip>
                      >> The real trick is not running the program; it's doing so
                      >> while only writing config info into local (that is, inside the USB
                      >> drive) files, so the settings will move with the program and leave no
                      >> trace behind.
                      <snip>
                      >> Notetab does not have its own PortableApps-style installer, but it has
                      >> been possible for years to run it from an USB drive. It used to be that
                      >> you had to run it *once* with a special command-line switch to set it up
                      >> correctly (I believe it was /USB), but I think I remember something from
                      >> later Release Notes that the process was made even easier. I don't
                      >> really remember the details, though.
                      >
                      >are you saying install it first with some other machine on a USB and then use that USB ??

                      If you can do an install to USB via another machine that would be preferred. But unless it is a USB aware install you still have some file copying to do.

                      Alternatively, since Notetab is pretty registry agnostic, just copy your present NTB installation folder to the USB. Go to your user area and copy your NTB user folder to the USB as well (in a separate folder from the NTB folder). Create a batch (CMD) file in the root of the USB that will sense the USB's drive letter and call NTB using the INI switch (see below).

                      For example, say you put Notetab in the \NTB_Appl folder and your user data in \NTB_Data. Put all the support folders under the NTB_Data folder: \Libraries, favorites, etc. Copy your NTB INI file to the NTB_Data folder. The Notetab .exe, .fpr & .ini files all have to have the same name (Named NotetabUSB in the example below)

                      At a minimum, you will need these folders and [files]:
                      NTB_Appl [NotetabUSB.exe]
                      .. Dictionaries [Whatever dictionaries you use]
                      NTB_Data [NotetabUSB.ini, NotetabUSB.fpr]
                      .. Libraries [Cliplibs & Icon files]
                      .. Favorites [if used]
                      .. Spelling [if used]
                      .. Templates [if used]

                      You probably will want to include the help files (*.chm), in the NTB_Appl folder. Copy the other "helpful" files (tips, glossary, readme, etc) if you use them.

                      Create NotetabUSB.cmd in the USB root folder with the content below. Note: the "For" statement is a long line. To run Notetab just double click on the CMD file. [If the USB drive is always the same drive letter, you could hard code it and just use the one line.

                      Enjoy, Art

                      <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Start of CMD file >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      :Command File for running Notetab on USB 07-10-13/ARK

                      Set USB=
                      For %%L in (A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO If Exist "%%L:\NTB_Appl\NoteTabUSB.exe" Set USB=%%L:
                      If [%USB%]==[] GoTo Error

                      @Echo Found USB Drive Letter = [%USB%]
                      Start "" %USB%\NTB_Appl\NoteTabUSB.exe /USER="%USB%\NTB_Data\" /INI=NoteTabUSB /USB
                      Exit

                      :Error
                      @Echo Error: Drive letter not found, exiting
                      @Pause