Using the 'Find and Replace' option.

  • Robin Chapple
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
      I am attempting to replace the space after a date with a comma to
      make a CSV file using "Find and replace"

      The original data format is:

      1920-1921 John Smith

      I assumed, wrongly, that the "Find Patterns" in the Help file could
      help. I used "forward slash followed by 'd' and space" /d

      This did not work, Where do I find expressions to use in "Find and replace"?

      Many thanks,

      Robin Chapple
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
        You just need to use backslashes instead of forward slashes.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
          Thanks John,

          I have ticked the Regular Expressions box and the space is found but
          I need to only replace the space with a comma, I need to digit to remain.

          Is that possible?

          Many thanks,

          Robin Chapple

          At 22/06/2013 08:43 AM, you wrote:
          >You just need to use backslashes instead of forward slashes.
          >
          >Regards,
          >John
          >RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
          >http://recipetools.gotdns.com/
          >John's Mags Yahoo
          >Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnsmags/>

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
            Set the find to: \d\K\x20
            Set the replace to:,
            The number will be kept, the space will be replaced with a comma.

            Regards,
            John

            I have ticked the Regular Expressions box and the space is found but
            I need to only replace the space with a comma, I need to digit to remain.

            Is that possible?

            Many thanks,

            Robin Chapple

            At 22/06/2013 08:43 AM, you wrote:
            >You just need to use backslashes instead of forward slashes.
            >
            >Regards,
            >John
            >RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
            >http://recipetools.gotdns.com/
            >John's Mags Yahoo
            >Group: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnsmags/>

          • Don
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
              many ways, but "(\d\d\d\d\-\d\d\d\d) " with "$1\t" is one way to do what
              you want as is "(\d{4}\-\d{4}) " with the same replace

              if the dates are not always in fours you can use \d+ or \d{2,4} for
              example in the above

              there is also a way with non-capture I think ...

              On 6/21/2013 6:50 PM, Robin Chapple wrote:
              > Thanks John,
              >
              > I have ticked the Regular Expressions box and the space is found but
              > I need to only replace the space with a comma, I need to digit to remain.
              >
              > Is that possible?
              >
              > Many thanks,
              >
              > Robin Chapple
            • Don
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
                Try something like this:
                (?:\d+\-\d+)\K

                On 6/21/2013 9:47 PM, Don wrote:
                > many ways, but "(\d\d\d\d\-\d\d\d\d) " with "$1\t" is one way to do what
                > you want as is "(\d{4}\-\d{4}) " with the same replace
                >
                > if the dates are not always in fours you can use \d+ or \d{2,4} for
                > example in the above
                >
                > there is also a way with non-capture I think ...
                >
                > On 6/21/2013 6:50 PM, Robin Chapple wrote:
                >> Thanks John,
                >>
                >> I have ticked the Regular Expressions box and the space is found but
                >> I need to only replace the space with a comma, I need to digit to remain.
                >>
                >> Is that possible?
                >>
                >> Many thanks,
                >>
                >> Robin Chapple

              • Robin Chapple
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
                  Many thanks John, That was exactly what I needed.

                  Cheers,

                  Robin