Cannot load 1.4 gig file

  • Daniel Prince
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2013
      When I try to load a 1.4 gig Forte Agent .DAT file into Notetab 7
      Pro or standard, I get a message saying "out of memory." StatBar
      says that I have 1,867 gigs of physical memory currently available.
      Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you in advance for any
      help.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2013
        Hi
        It depends what the file blows out to when open it could well be twice or
        three as big ,is the Forte Agent .DAT file pure txt or is it data as well
        ???
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > When I try to load a 1.4 gig Forte Agent .DAT file into Notetab 7
        > Pro or standard, I get a message saying "out of memory." StatBar
        > says that I have 1,867 gigs of physical memory currently available.
        > Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you in advance for any
        > help.

      • Fookes Software
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
          Hi Daniel,

          NoteTab generally needs twice as much memory as the size of the file
          in order to open it. So you'd need at least 2.4 GB of RAM to open the
          file. NoteTab can't open parts of a file, only the whole thing.

          On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...> wrote:
          > When I try to load a 1.4 gig Forte Agent .DAT file into Notetab 7
          > Pro or standard, I get a message saying "out of memory." StatBar
          > says that I have 1,867 gigs of physical memory currently available.
          > Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you in advance for any
          > help.

        • Ugly Sean
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
            What about virtual memory? One of the appeals of NoteTab has been the ability to manipulate files of practically any size. There are other programs (however few) that can do the trick. My favourite (which I will not advertise here) is an oldie but a goodie. It has nowhere near the number of advanced features as NoteTab but it seems to utilize virtual memory and will remain my backup should NoteTab not suffice.

            I just upgraded to NoteTab Pro 7.x and fortunately it seems to interface better with Windows 7 than 6.2 did.