Re: [NTB] rename file greyed out

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 3 , May 27, 2013
      On 2013-05-27 23:32, hsavage wrote:
      > > Sometimes, when I want to rename a file, "Rename" is greyed out on
      > the tab's right-click menu. The "Delete" option is always greyed out as
      > well.
      > >
      > > What causes this, and how do I fix it?
      >
      > Check your Document menu drop-down, check the last item in the list,
      > it's Read-Only. You may need to uncheck it.

      Further info ... possibly needed/useful ...
      Coincidentally, I ran into this earlier today and remembered that I had
      to uncheck the [Read-Only] option but *COULD NOT* find it!

      Probably your file is UTF-8 and Notetab flags such files as read only
      because they *may* contain characters which would get trashed when
      edited, You will also see that a bunch of other [Edit] and [Modify]
      options are blanked out and you can also not type into he main window.
      You can see UTF-8 if applicable at the right side of status line in
      these cases.

      Turns out that [Read=only] is one of the options suppressed by not
      having Options-View-[Advanced options]=ON. (I had temporarily turned
      this off while testing another forum problem and then forgot about it.
      :-( . )

      While figuring that out I noticed another: Options-General-[Protect
      Unicode Files]. If you know that any Unicode files you run into don't
      actually have non-ASCII characters you can safely set this =OFF and then
      the read-only flag won't get set initially. I had never noticed this
      option before though upon checking it existed back in v4.95. Even if
      set, it is still necessary to set the [Advanced options]=ON to make it
      *possible* to edit UTF-8 files.