Re: [NTB] Re: Search and replace clip help

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 9 , May 20, 2013
      Op maandag 20 mei 2013 12:34 schreef plhpr:

      > Thanks for this but nothing seems to work.
      >
      > I want to change the a\ and b\ and c\ etc in this context below:-
      >
      > First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2 b\
      > Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13 a\
      >
      > into this:-
      > First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2\
      > Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13\
      >
      > I have tried all suggestions. One method worked once and then failed
      > on the next pass and didn't work again.
      >
      > ie:
      > ^!Replace ' a\' '\' WSTA
      > ^!Replace ' b\' '\' WSTA

      The format is wrong. You can use either
      ^!Replace " a\" >> "\"' WSTA
      with spaces between the elements, or
      ^!Replace a\ \ WSTA
      with tabs between the elements.

      Alex.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2013
        From your sample, it appears that you want to replace [space][letter][backslash] following a number with just [backslash]. It also
        appears that this will only occur on the end of a line. Assuming these are correct, this will do it.
        ^!Replace "\d\K\x20[a-z](?=\\$)" >> "" ARSW

        Regards,
        John

        Thanks for this but nothing seems to work.

        I want to change the a\ and b\ and c\ etc in this context below:-

        First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2 b\
        Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13 a\

        into this:-
        First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2\
        Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13\

        I have tried all suggestions. One method worked once and then failed on the next pass and didn't work again.

        ie:
        ^!Replace ' a\' '\' WSTA
        ^!Replace ' b\' '\' WSTA

        Thanks for all help, any ideas.

        PH

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> , "flo.gehrke" <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> , "plhpr" <ph@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Silly but I cannot find out in the help section how to search and replace this simple sequence in quotes below
        > >
        > > ' b\' ie space b backslash
        > >
        > > into a simple '\' backslash.
        > >
        > > I understand that space is represented as '\s' but '\sb\' as a search does not seem to find it.
        >

        > In a RegEx search, you have to escape the backslash because it's interpreted as a metacharacter (see Help --> Help on Regular
        Expressions --> Characters and Metacharacters). So the pattern is: '\sb\\'. In the replace string, you don't have to escape it.

        > Note that, since NT 5.0, '\s' doesn't match a space (ANSI 32) only but ANSI 9, 10, 12, 13, 32, 133, and 160. If you try to match
        precisely a space and nothing else then you better enter a space character or make use of hex notation '\x20' or octal notation
        '\040'.

        > For more about escaping see p. 15 in...
        >
        > http://zmievski.org/files/talks/codeworks-2009/regex-clinic.pdf
        >
        > But do you really have to use RegEx here? In a standard search you could use just literal characters: ' b\' (space, b, backslash).
        >
        > Flo

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2013
          On 5/20/2013 5:34 AM, plhpr wrote:
          > Thanks for this but nothing seems to work.
          >
          > I want to change the a\ and b\ and c\ etc in this context below:-
          >
          > First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2 b\
          > Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13 a\
          >
          > into this:-
          > First of the Summer Wine - ]Cyril Gerber Fine Art & Compass[ - 2\
          > Fred Cuming RA - ]Adam (Bath)[ - 13\
          >
          > I have tried all suggestions. One method worked once and then failed
          on the next pass and didn't work again.

          > ie:
          > ^!Replace ' a\' '\' WSTA
          > ^!Replace ' b\' '\' WSTA
          >
          > Thanks for all help, any ideas.
          >
          > PH

          ph,

          These commands work pretty well;

          as a group:
          ^!Replace "^%space%a\" >> "\" TWSA
          ^!Replace "^%space%b\" >> "\" TWSA
          ^!Replace "^%space%c\" >> "\" TWSA
          ^!Replace "^%space%d\" >> "\" TWSA

          individually:
          ^!Replace "\ [a-z]\\$" >> "\" WRSA

          ^!Replace "(\ a\\)|(\ b\\)|(\ c\\)|(\ d\\)$" >> "\" WRSA

          ¤• JD#.140 - ¤• SL.1639/@12>24 - 13.05.20~11.57.25

          • World's Shortest Books
          • Dr. Kevorkian's Collection Of Motivational Speeches

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2013
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "plhpr" <ph@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for this but nothing seems to work.

            No surprise! This was meant for use with the 'Search | Replace' command since - so far - you didn't talk of a clip. Also you are posting to the Basic Group and not to the Clip Group.

            So if you try do it by clip, try a non-Regex-solution...

            ^!Replace " a\" >> "\" WSA
            ^!Replace " b\" >> "\" WSA

            No 'T' option needed here. NT will match it anyway because the search string is containing word-delimiting characters.

            Maybe John's proposal is more exact since it anchors the string at end of line. So you may use that pattern in case it accords with the structure of your text.

            Flo
          • plhpr
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2013
              Many thanks to all - it works now.