RE: [NTB] Overwrite on find/replace dialogs

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22 5:32 AM
      Not a gremlin attack. It happens to me also. I have to shut down NTP and restart it to get the dropdown arrow back. I ALWAYS have a
      history, and I've looked in the .ini file to make sure it was still there - it's there, but there's nothing in the Find box, and no
      arrow either. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22 6:46 AM
        Update: It's likely that this problem is related to opening a file as
        "UTF-8 (no conversion)".

        I have a clip, based on one Axel Berger posted, that converts UTF-8 into
        HTML entities. First step on that clip is reloading the file as "UTF-8
        (no conversion)". After it runs its course, the file is no longer UTF-8,
        but apparently Notetab keeps treating it as such even on new sessions.
        (I noticed that Notetab remembers a bunch of stuff about
        previously-opened files, remembering the encoding sorta makes sense). I
        noticed some other weird behaviour at the same time -- for instance,
        copying em-dashes to the find dialog resulted in... blank spaces.

        From what I have observed recently, renaming the file before loading it
        on Notetab seems to fix the issues. We know about the limited Unicode
        support in Notetab; that probably explains a lot.

        Oh well... now to modify that clip so it force-reloads the file again at
        the end, this time in the default code page...

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Ono-Sendai.
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22 6:59 AM
          At 4/22/2013 05:32 AM, John wrote:
          >Not a gremlin attack. It happens to me also. I have to shut down NTP and restart it to get the dropdown arrow back. I ALWAYS have a
          >history, and I've looked in the .ini file to make sure it was still there - it's there, but there's nothing in the Find box, and no
          >arrow either. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

          Ah, but that is the DEFINITION of a gremlin attack! <grin>

          The unexplainable, unreproducible, random intermittent anomalies of computing as well as everyday life. They are mischievous little buggers, ready to pull the rug under our feet anytime we start to think we are in control, have a critical deadline or really need to find something important.

          For "lost" items, my best strategy is to just give up searching and tell them they can have the item. It is no fun for them if I am not looking so pretty soon the item shows up again.

          Happens quite often.