Re: [NTB] Overwrite on find/replace dialogs

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
      At 4/21/2013 11:33 AM, you wrote:
      >Something that has been bothering me and I can't figure out...
      >
      >*Usually*, when I copy a sample of text and paste it on the Find or
      >Replace dialogs, Notetab Pro gives me a blank field and a drop-down list
      >to select a previously-used string. So I can just paste the sample on
      >the field without needing any checking.
      >
      >But *sometimes* it doesn't. Instead, what I get is the previous string
      >already in the field and *no* drop-down list. And then it keeps behaving
      >that way until... well, I'm not sure what happens to revert to the
      >normal mode.
      >
      >This is annoying on several levels: I don't have access to the
      >previously-used strings, and more importantly, I can't just paste the
      >strings -- I have to either select the previous string in the field, so
      >the new string will overwrite the old one, or I have to manually delete
      >the old string afterwards. It really messes up my muscle memory.
      >
      >I can't figure out what is it that makes Notetab Pro switch from one
      >mode to the other. Does anybody know?
      >
      >Notetab Pro 6.2, registered version.

      Not sure what you mean exactly by "no drop down list". Do you mean no clickable down button/arrow at the right side of the find or replace box or do you mean that the button is there but the list is empty?

      A number of conditions & settings affect the behavior of the F&R boxes.

      If you have the option setting "View | Options | Tools | Find Word at Cursor" checked, then whenever you click the Find or Replace icon (or equivalent menu choice), the "Find What" (or "Reg Expr" if RegEx is checked), box will be initialized to any highlighted text in your doc, or if none, then the word immediately preceding the cursor location.

      If the F or F&R dialog window was closed when you clicked on the icon, the text in the Find What box will be highlighted and focus will be on that text. Anything you type or paste will immediately replace that text in its entirety.

      If the F or F&R dialog window was already open, then when you again click on the same icon (F and F&R are independent), the "Find What" box will be initialized as above but the text will not be highlighted and focus will be in never never land.

      If you do not have the "Find Word at Cursor" option checked then the initial contents of the "Find What" box depends on NTB's history. The first time you click on a F or F&R icon in a new instance of NT the "Find What" box will be empty and focus will be in the box awaiting input. For subsequent invocations of the F or F&R functions, the contents of the "Find What" box will be initialized from the F or F&R history list (remember they are independent), to their previous value. Again, if the dialog window was closed when you invoke the function the "Find What" contents will be highlighted and have focus. If already open, the contents will not be highlighted and unfocused.

      The F and F&R histories are kept in NTB's INI file with a limit of 15 entries each. They are retrieved and displayed via their respective drop down list in LIFO order.

      I always have a drop down list button, even when the histories are empty. I disabled both sections in the INI file, loaded a new instance of NTB and still had the drop down button.

      If your lists are empty when you load NTB then the respective [FindDialog] and [ReplaceDialog] sections in the INI file are missing or empty. There is no way in v6.2 and below to delete these drop down list items except by modifying the INI file.

      If you don't even see the drop down button, then you must be having a gremlin attack.

      Namaste', Art

      My mind is like the subway. If I end up where I'm going,
      it's best if I don't try to understand the system.
      Jef Mallett, 04-21-13
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
        Not a gremlin attack. It happens to me also. I have to shut down NTP and restart it to get the dropdown arrow back. I ALWAYS have a
        history, and I've looked in the .ini file to make sure it was still there - it's there, but there's nothing in the Find box, and no
        arrow either. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

        Regards,
        John

> [...]

        not be highlighted and unfocused.

        The F and F&R histories are kept in NTB's INI file with a limit of 15 entries each. They are retrieved and displayed via their
        respective drop down list in LIFO order.

        I always have a drop down list button, even when the histories are empty. I disabled both sections in the INI file, loaded a new
        instance of NTB and still had the drop down button.

        If your lists are empty when you load NTB then the respective [FindDialog] and [ReplaceDialog] sections in the INI file are missing
        or empty. There is no way in v6.2 and below to delete these drop down list items except by modifying the INI file.

        If you don't even see the drop down button, then you must be having a gremlin attack.

        Namaste', Art

        My mind is like the subway. If I end up where I'm going,
        it's best if I don't try to understand the system.

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
          Update: It's likely that this problem is related to opening a file as
          "UTF-8 (no conversion)".

          I have a clip, based on one Axel Berger posted, that converts UTF-8 into
          HTML entities. First step on that clip is reloading the file as "UTF-8
          (no conversion)". After it runs its course, the file is no longer UTF-8,
          but apparently Notetab keeps treating it as such even on new sessions.
          (I noticed that Notetab remembers a bunch of stuff about
          previously-opened files, remembering the encoding sorta makes sense). I
          noticed some other weird behaviour at the same time -- for instance,
          copying em-dashes to the find dialog resulted in... blank spaces.

          From what I have observed recently, renaming the file before loading it
          on Notetab seems to fix the issues. We know about the limited Unicode
          support in Notetab; that probably explains a lot.

          Oh well... now to modify that clip so it force-reloads the file again at
          the end, this time in the default code page...

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Ono-Sendai.
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2013
            At 4/22/2013 05:32 AM, John wrote:
            >Not a gremlin attack. It happens to me also. I have to shut down NTP and restart it to get the dropdown arrow back. I ALWAYS have a
            >history, and I've looked in the .ini file to make sure it was still there - it's there, but there's nothing in the Find box, and no
            >arrow either. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

            Ah, but that is the DEFINITION of a gremlin attack! <grin>

            The unexplainable, unreproducible, random intermittent anomalies of computing as well as everyday life. They are mischievous little buggers, ready to pull the rug under our feet anytime we start to think we are in control, have a critical deadline or really need to find something important.

            For "lost" items, my best strategy is to just give up searching and tell them they can have the item. It is no fun for them if I am not looking so pretty soon the item shows up again.

            Happens quite often.