Tidy up html code

  • scouterines
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
      Good morning,

      Is there any way that I can use the "tidy up html" for all files that are open at once?

      Thank you, Ines
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
        Interviewed by CNN on 24/01/2013 13:21, scouterines told the world:
        > Is there any way that I can use the "tidy up html" for all files that are open at once?

        Not directly, since that is not an internal Notetab feature, but an
        externally-called third-party program. It's possible to write a clip to
        do what you want, but I never bothered to do so.

        And, generally speaking, I don't think it's a good idea blindly running
        Tidy on lots of files at once. The reason being that Tidy does more than
        fix up formatting: it attempts to "correct" syntax errors in HTML. But
        some kinds of errors are not well-suited to automatically fixes. For
        instance, if you forget closing a <b> tag, Tidy will "fix" it by
        inserting <b> and </b> tags in every paragraph from that point to either
        the next </b> tag or the end of file.

        I find Tidy much more useful as an error *finder* than an error *fixer*.
        I run it, look at the error log, reload the pre-Tidy version of the
        file, find the trouble spots, fix them. Rinse and repeat.

        And, by the way... there are several versions of Tidy around. The
        original one by Dave Raggett is pretty long in the tooth, but other
        people have updated and improved on it. A compiled, ready to use copy of
        one of the latest versions (dated 2009) can be found here:

        <http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HTML_Tidy_for_Windows>

        Like the original, though, it's completely unaware of HTML5 -- I think
        the most recent standard it supports is XHTML 1.0.

        There's also a separate project, intended to overhaul Tidy for HTML5.
        The project page is here:

        <http://w3c.github.com/tidy-html5/>

        but they don't offer ready-to-run binaries. A guy called Martin Broerse
        made a Windows build available last April, but last time I linked that
        page here people complained that some antivirus tagged the page as
        "suspicious." Personally, I didn't have a problem with the program, and
        Google Safe Browsing no longer has a problem with the site. Apparently
        it was hacked by a malicious script sometime in the past, and it has
        been fixed since.

        Anyway, the page is here:

        <http://www.broerse.net/wordpress/2012/04/28/tidy-html5/>

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my MaxiPad.
      • scouterines
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2013
          Thank you. I guess I will just continue the way I did it in the past, one file after the other. All I am doing is changing from capital letters to small letters.
          Ines