Can't get v.7.1/fv to save option changes or re-open open documents

  • ecto
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
      This is very frustrating. I have been using Note Tab Pro v.4.95 on my older Windows 98 computer for years. I just upgraded to v.7.1 on my Windows Vista SP2 Toshiba laptop.

      I opened my favorite documents in Note Tab Pro, edited the options, and hid the ruler, line numbers, and the clip book to provide maximum display space for the documents.

      In Options, Reload Open Documents is checked.

      However, none of these settings remain saved. Every time I reopen Note Tab Pro my previously open documents are closed. They do not even appear in the Reopen tab. I again see the ruler, line numbers, and clip book. Readme.txt, Readme.otl, and WhatsNew.txt are the only documents which appear whenever the program opens.

      I can't figure out how to save my option changes or re-open important documents.

      I'd really appreciate some help in this very basic issue, and in understanding what is causing the problem. Thanks in advance.

      Cheers,
      Joel
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
        Oops .. I just re-read your post. substitute Vista for Win-7 in the
        following. :-[

        Your problem is (I'm almost certain) that on Win-7 by default you don't
        have permission to write to the Program Files location where you
        installed NoteTab. When Notetab is opened, it checks for the existence
        of notepro.ini in that folder and if *NOT FOUND* instead puts all the
        subfolders for favorites, libraries etc that used to be there in
        previous (ie. Notetab 4.95) versions in:
        C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
        (on WInXP) and (I think)
        C:\Users\<yourname>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini

        I suspect you just copied your old notetab setup to the Win-7
        %progfiles% location after installing it. Correct?
        If so, there are a bunch of ways to correct.
        Simplest might be to just:
        (1) uninstall your current Win-7 Notetab (after making a backup copy
        just for safety)
        (2) create a new top level folder (say) C:\myProgramFiles (this should
        give you write access)
        (3) Install Notetab in (say) C:\myProgramFiles\Notetab Pro.
        (4) Copy the same control files you copied from your old system to the
        Vista laptop.
        and finally ...
        (5) Run Notetab and verify that favorites, option etc. are now being
        saved across program restarts.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
          Alex, thank you. That was brilliant. I actually didn't transfer my NotePro.ini file from v. 4.95 thinking that that v.7.1 would set up its own .ini file which I could just edit. When I saw that wasn't possible, I tried to copy and paste the old v.4.95 .ini file in the C://Program Files/NoteTab7 directory. Windows Vista would not allow me to do that. Instead, I followed your suggestion. I uninstalled 7.1 and re-installed it to C://NoteTab7. Into that directory I was able to paste the older NotePro.ini file. Now I have all my old settings and open documents.

          This problem was caused by Windows Vista (Windows 6). I still don't understand why they made it more difficult than necessary, with the permissions feature. I struggled for about a week just to upgrade Adobe Reader from v. 10 to v. 11, following multiple steps and advice from Adobe support.

          Thank you again, Alex. It's wonderful to get such a fast and helpful response.

          Cheers,
          Joel

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess wrote:

          > Oops .. I just re-read your post. substitute Vista for Win-7 in the
          > following. :-[
          >
          > Your problem is (I'm almost certain) that on Win-7 by default you don't
          > have permission to write to the Program Files location where you
          > installed NoteTab. When Notetab is opened, it checks for the existence
          > of notepro.ini in that folder and if *NOT FOUND* instead puts all the
          > subfolders for favorites, libraries etc that used to be there in
          > previous (ie. Notetab 4.95) versions in:
          > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
          > (on WInXP) and (I think)
          > C:\Users\ \Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
          >
          > I suspect you just copied your old notetab setup to the Win-7
          > %progfiles% location after installing it. Correct?
          > If so, there are a bunch of ways to correct.
          > Simplest might be to just:
          > (1) uninstall your current Win-7 Notetab (after making a backup copy
          > just for safety)
          > (2) create a new top level folder (say) C:\myProgramFiles (this should
          > give you write access)
          > (3) Install Notetab in (say) C:\myProgramFiles\Notetab Pro.
          > (4) Copy the same control files you copied from your old system to the
          > Vista laptop.
          > and finally ...
          > (5) Run Notetab and verify that favorites, option etc. are now being
          > saved across program restarts.
          >

          > On 2013-01-15 16:56, ecto wrote:
          > > This is very frustrating. I have been using Note Tab Pro v.4.95 on my
          > > older Windows 98 computer for years. I just upgraded to v.7.1 on my
          > > Windows Vista SP2 Toshiba laptop.
          > >
          > > I opened my favorite documents in Note Tab Pro, edited the options,
          > > and hid the ruler, line numbers, and the clip book to provide maximum
          > > display space for the documents.
          > >
          > > In Options, Reload Open Documents is checked.
          > >
          > > However, none of these settings remain saved. Every time I reopen Note
          > > Tab Pro my previously open documents are closed. They do not even
          > > appear in the Reopen tab. I again see the ruler, line numbers, and
          > > clip book. Readme.txt, Readme.otl, and WhatsNew.txt are the only
          > > documents which appear whenever the program opens.
          > >
          > > I can't figure out how to save my option changes or re-open important
          > > documents.
          > >
          > > I'd really appreciate some help in this very basic issue, and in
          > > understanding what is causing the problem. Thanks in advance.
          > --

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
            You can read about how to use NoteTab 7 in Vista-Win7 in the general help section. There are multiple approaches, but
            the ONE thing you cannot do is have files in C:\Program Files that need to be edited by a program. Generally, Windows
            will move such edited files to a shadow copy location which is in a hidden folder. You can find it by searching. But, as
            with all Windows programs, you must run an install to install them, and an uninstall to uninstall them. NoteTab will
            operate just fine in Vista and Win7, even in the Program Files section, if you simply do a normal install. If you want
            everything local to a NoteTab folder, as I do, then it can't be installed in Program Files. I have a folder called
            C:\Programs where I install all programs that aren't explicitly written for Win7.

            Regards,
            John

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> , Alec Burgess wrote:

            > Oops .. I just re-read your post. substitute Vista for Win-7 in the
            > following. :-[
            >
            > Your problem is (I'm almost certain) that on Win-7 by default you don't
            > have permission to write to the Program Files location where you
            > installed NoteTab. When Notetab is opened, it checks for the existence
            > of notepro.ini in that folder and if *NOT FOUND* instead puts all the
            > subfolders for favorites, libraries etc that used to be there in
            > previous (ie. Notetab 4.95) versions in:
            > C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
            > (on WInXP) and (I think)
            > C:\Users\ \Application Data\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.ini
            >
            > I suspect you just copied your old notetab setup to the Win-7
            > %progfiles% location after installing it. Correct?
            > If so, there are a bunch of ways to correct.
            > Simplest might be to just:
            > (1) uninstall your current Win-7 Notetab (after making a backup copy
            > just for safety)
            > (2) create a new top level folder (say) C:\myProgramFiles (this should
            > give you write access)
            > (3) Install Notetab in (say) C:\myProgramFiles\Notetab Pro.
            > (4) Copy the same control files you copied from your old system to the
            > Vista laptop.
            > and finally ...
            > (5) Run Notetab and verify that favorites, option etc. are now being
            > saved across program restarts.
            >

            > On 2013-01-15 16:56, ecto wrote:
            > > This is very frustrating. I have been using Note Tab Pro v.4.95 on my
            > > older Windows 98 computer for years. I just upgraded to v.7.1 on my
            > > Windows Vista SP2 Toshiba laptop.
            > >
            > > I opened my favorite documents in Note Tab Pro, edited the options,
            > > and hid the ruler, line numbers, and the clip book to provide maximum
            > > display space for the documents.
            > >
            > > In Options, Reload Open Documents is checked.
            > >
            > > However, none of these settings remain saved. Every time I reopen Note
            > > Tab Pro my previously open documents are closed. They do not even
            > > appear in the Reopen tab. I again see the ruler, line numbers, and
            > > clip book. Readme.txt, Readme.otl, and WhatsNew.txt are the only
            > > documents which appear whenever the program opens.
            > >
            > > I can't figure out how to save my option changes or re-open important
            > > documents.
            > >
            > > I'd really appreciate some help in this very basic issue, and in
            > > understanding what is causing the problem. Thanks in advance.
            > --

          • ecto
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
              Thanks, John. That's good advice to remember for other programs as well. I'll also read the other Vista-Windows 7 posts to bring me up to speed. Many thanks, again.

              Cheers,
              Joel

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Shotsky" wrote:

              > You can read about how to use NoteTab 7 in Vista-Win7 in the general help section. There are multiple approaches, but
              > the ONE thing you cannot do is have files in C:\Program Files that need to be edited by a program. Generally, Windows
              > will move such edited files to a shadow copy location which is in a hidden folder. You can find it by searching. But, as
              > with all Windows programs, you must run an install to install them, and an uninstall to uninstall them. NoteTab will
              > operate just fine in Vista and Win7, even in the Program Files section, if you simply do a normal install. If you want
              > everything local to a NoteTab folder, as I do, then it can't be installed in Program Files. I have a folder called
              > C:\Programs where I install all programs that aren't explicitly written for Win7.
              >
              > Regards,
              > John
              > RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 21, 2013
                Uninstall, then reinstall in a new folder outside of C:\Program Files, such as C:\Programs.

                Regards,
                John