Re: [NTB] Re: Return to same place (retain cursor position) when switch outline headers?

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
      On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:

      > best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
      > new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
      > should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
      > again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
      > have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?

      That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
      file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:

      View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances

      Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
      multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
      if/how it works. :)
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
        Hi
        I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
        uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:
        >>
        >> best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
        >> new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
        >> should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
        >> again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
        >> have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?
        >
        > That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
        > file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:
        >
        > View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances
        >
        > Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
        > multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
        > if/how it works. :)

      • Jim Eoff
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
          On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
          > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg

          Guess I am. :)

          Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
          http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
          a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
          OTL file.

          Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
            One way you can always open the same file twice is to enable multi-instances, and open the second copy as read-only in a second instance of NoteTab.

            Another way, that worked in earlier versions of NT, had NoteTab allowing you to load a second copy of the same file, if the filename were different (DOS SHORT form vs Windows long form). This did not work, if both versions were identical.

            If this 2nd method still works (couldn't test at tme moment, my Internet PC doesn't have NoteTab), you can use the second window for the "other" outline.
            Caution: Make sure your keep one of these files UNCHANGED, or it can get confusing.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
            > > Hi
            > > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
            > > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
            >
            > Guess I am. :)
            >
            > Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
            > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
            > a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
            > OTL file.
            >
            > Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.

          • mycroftj
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

              > When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
              > cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
              > it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
              > viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
              >
              > Thanks

              I see discussion has focused on non-clip solutions, but it doesn't sound hard to create a clip for what you want. I picture running the clip which will present a list of all the topics in the current outline. Click the one you want and it remember where you are in the current topic and then switch to the desired topic and go to the last position for that topic or the beginning if never there. You could make it automatically clear 'memory' when switching to a different outline or remember all settings until you close note tab or switch to a different library. Yes, there are ways to save settings permanently. I don't know your level of clip programming, but I think the basic script would be quite simple.

              Joy
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                >> When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
                >> cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
                >> it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
                >> viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
                >>
                >> Thanks

                Hi
                do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works on
                200 topic otl
                H="start"
                ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$

                H="go back"
                ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                ^!Delay 2
                ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                hope this help
                THANKYOU DAVE M
              • Jim Eoff
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 28, 2012
                  On Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 0:44, Dave wrote:
                  > do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works
                  > on
                  > 200 topic otl
                  > H="start"
                  > ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$
                  >
                  > H="go back"
                  > ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                  > ^!Delay 2
                  > ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                  Thanks all. I'll play with this and if I have further questions will ask
                  on the Clips list. Will also suggest the feature to the author.